Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What's up with the power bills lately???

Guest swirlundergrounder

Guest swirlundergrounder

I have not had my air conditioner on for almost a month and my power bill is $150 for a 2 floor, 3 bedroom townhouse. $150 is how much it usually costs me during the summer months. I hate to see what it's going to cost this summer with the AC on most of the day....

I have not had my air conditioner on for almost a month and my power bill is $150 for a 2 floor, 3 bedroom townhouse. $150 is how much it usually costs me during the summer months. I hate to see what it's going to cost this summer with the AC on most of the day....

hmm...that's not bad in comparison to what i used to pay at my 1br apt in otown which was usually $125-$130

i thought that was pretty f up

Guest swirlundergrounder

hmm...that's not bad in comparison to what i used to pay at my 1br apt in otown which was usually $125-$130

i thought that was pretty f up

$130 for a 1 bdr apt? That's fuc*ed up!

Guest slamminshaun

Jesus dude, I paid $140 this month and I have a 5 bedroom house!! I guess what I waste in my SUV I make up for it at home, eh?? LOL

Guest drlogic

1 bdrm apt, $140?

Is that a "grow house"?

Are the walls lines in aluminium foil or mirrors?

Is the a/c blowing snow to keep trees happy?

Guest Devilicious

did FPL raise the rates yet?

just what i was thinking.... last fall if you read your bill you would see everything is increasing due to our active hurricane seasons. My bill is much more than it was this time last year as well

Guest Chica

same here I paid around the same for Dec and Jan, that used to be what i've paid for during the summer, SUCKS big time!

Guest swirlundergrounder

1 bdrm apt, $140?

Is that a "grow house"?

No shit huh...LOL!! What $ he lost paying his power bill he made up wheelin' and dealin'!!

1 bdrm apt, $140?

Is that a "grow house"?

No shit huh...LOL!! What $ he lost paying his power bill he made up wheelin' and dealin'!!

progress energy made me put a $240 dp because they said the typical electricity bill at my complex was around $125 a month, yes for a 1br apt and it wasnt even that cold to be honest. That's when happens your stuck between moving or loosing your job, so i had to get a place asap and that's all i could find at the time. But i guess i saved on my rent which was in the 5 hundreds, can't find the same price range down here that's for sure.

Guest mursa

..The cost of living is Growing ! simple as that .............salaries for the most part are stagnant all while living costs go up ...

..my 1 bedroom apart was also around 120-140$ during the summer months .....its been down to 70-80$ for the last couple of months though .

...if anyone goes through-75 (alligator alley) ....check out how they have raised the toll from 1.50 to 2.50 ! >:( unreal .

Guest Satz

Back in November, FPL announced that they were going to raise rates an average of 23% as of 1/1/06. It was the headline of the Herald.

So now the cold is burning us.

And with all this global warming, and the refusal of the administration to sign the Kyoto Protocol, I am not looking forward to Summer's prices.

:(

Guest michael^heaven

---Well, the only reason my electric bill is so high is due to my roommate. He is the king of wasting power. Lights left on when no one's home, heat/ac always cranking, tvs left on....you name it. When he went to NJ for a two week vacation, the electric bill dropped by over 50%.

Guest rhythmburn

Back in November, FPL announced that they were going to raise rates an average of 23% as of 1/1/06. It was the headline of the Herald.

And with all this global warming, and the refusal of the administration to sign the Kyoto Protocol, I am not looking forward to Summer's prices.

yes, global warming happens when a planet emerges from an ice age...

Guest drlogic

You just couldn't help yourself. lol

If you're pissed @ America for not signing the Kyoto Protocol, then you must be pissed that they've excluded China who just so happens to be the WORSE perpetrator against the environment. America does plenty to "contribute" to global warming, but America also does more than any other nation to clean up it's own messes(be it emission standards, fuel detergents/additives, etc..). Other countries don't give 3 fucks.

So, next time you throw the popular "Kyoto" word around, you might wanna consider why Ameirca won't sign it and why certain countries like CHINA are exempt. Until China is included, America would be insane to even consider it.

As it currently is, that accord is nothing more than a back door for the world to pick Americas pocket.

TTFN ;D

Guest swirlundergrounder

Check out the front page of today's Miami Herald. There's an article on exactly this subject.

Lazy ass you should have posted it... :P

Guest swirlundergrounder

I'll post it (from Miami Herald)

FPL hike gives customers a jolt

Some FPL residential and business customers have been shocked at the size of the increase in their bills.

BY JOHN DORSCHNER

jdorschner@MiamiHerald.com

Like many power users, Richard Carsello of Plantation was stunned when he opened his latest bill from Florida Power & Light. He had been expecting a hefty increase because of the new energy fuel charge, but not what he saw -- a 42 percent bump over his bill a year ago.

This January, the FPL charge was $310.77. Last year it was $218.35. Actually it would have been worse for his five-bedroom house, but the bill covered Dec. 20 to Jan. 24 -- and the new surcharge didn't kick in until Jan. 5.

Like many, Carsello had read in news reports that FPL said the energy surcharge would cause an increase of 19 percent in the average homeowner's bill.

''Can you please tell me what's really happening?'' Carsello asked The Miami Herald.

The answer: While FPL emphasizes average use, heavier power users are paying considerably more and being charged a higher rate.

As the first bills are arriving with a full month of the increased surcharge, businesses are seeing increases of 20 to 40 percent in their light bills, and some power-dependent sectors, like floral importers, fear the hike could drive some of them out of business.

What's more, larger homes get hit at a much higher rate.

For those who use less than 1,000 kilowatts per hour -- defined as the average homeowner -- the surcharge is 5.8 cents per kw/h. The average homeowner actually uses about 1,170 -- but that figure includes all sorts of folks in small one-bedroom apartments who use far less than that, meaning that many in the middle class use far above the average.

And they pay for it. Over 1,000 kw/h, the surcharge climbs to 6.8 cents per kw/h -- 17 percent higher than the base surcharge.

ANGRY CUSTOMERS

The result is plenty of angry customers. Roy Gold of Cambridge Diagnostic Products saw his light bill go from $500 in December to $771 in January. ``When you're dealing with a monopoly, you have no choice.''

Jeanne Antol Krull, communications director at the University of Miami's medical school, said she tried to do it right, asking an FPL rep to survey her West Kendall home and recommend ways to save. Because of that, she bought a new, more-efficient air conditioner for $5,000. ``They swore once we got the new AC we'd see a huge difference.''

The result: ''We just got our FPL [bill]; $205 in the middle of winter!!!!'' she wrote in an e-mail. This year, the billing period was 32 days and her family used 1,636 kw/h. Last year, when the billing period was 30 days, they used 1,667 kw/hr -- and the bill was $40 less.

''It's just a disgrace,'' Krull wrote.

FPL spokesman Bill Swank said the utility makes no money on the surcharge. It simply passes through its costs, and gas-oil charges everywhere have been soaring. FPL proposed -- and the Public Service Commission agreed to -- a two-tier surcharge as an incentive for users to cut down on usage and to help smaller, less affluent residential customers.

''We are very concerned about what these fuel prices have done to our customers,'' said FPL spokesman Mayco Villafaña. ``Unfortunately, it's being driven by market conditions.''

Some of the hardest hit have been the flower importers, who must keep their produce at 34 to 38 degrees. Christine Boldt of the Association of Floral Importers of Florida said most importers run 2 to 4 percent profit margins and spend $4,000 to $70,000 a month for electricity.

DIRE STRAITS

They can't handle 20 to 40 percent hikes in their power bills. ''Probably some are going to go out of business because of this,'' Boldt said.

FPL's Swank said, ``We want to work with them to find solutions. We know how much their costs are going up.''

FPL reps have talked to the importers and suggested ways to cut costs. ''They talked about upgrading our A/C systems to make them more efficient,'' Boldt said, ``but most can't afford to spend the $30,000 or $40,000 it would take for the change.''

Note: The Miami Herald has a business relationship with FPL in a program to recruit subscribers.

Guest mursa

FPL can basicly do whatever they want ...... they have basicly no competition ....as it stands now...or its FPL or it's living in the Dark Ages .

Guest drlogic

There are alternatives, but they would require an initial investment.

If you have gas running to your house, you can invest is a back-up generator(Generac makes a good one between $2500-$5000) and alternate weekly between the generator (which runs off of natural gas/propane) and FPL.

There's also SOLAR, but that investment would be much larger.

Just a thought...........??????????

As for the monopoly thing, true......Then again, what's the alternative? Gov't take over????????????....THAT TOO would be a monopoly! Be it energy,health care, etc...

Personaly, I like FLA. I'd much rather sweat than freeze any day!

Guest swirlundergrounder

Yeah and if you freeze you run up the heat bill....

Imagine how our power bills are going to be in 2007 if we have another bad hurricane season this year and fuel prices keep rising.

Guest drlogic

Yeah and if you freeze you run up the heat bill....

Imagine how our power bills are going to be in 2007 if we have another bad hurricane season this year and fuel prices keep rising.

If you're cold, put on a sweater!

If you're hot, spray yourself w/ a garden hose!

The sky is not gonna fall! Personally, I tend to lean towards the idea that Americans will adjust, adapt and move forward.

I've never understood the logic behind "what are we gonna do?, I just can't do it! The sky is falling!, etc.."

I don't have a crystal ball and I'm still shopping for a time machine on ebay, so until then I'll don't know what the future will bring.

I do know that this country revolves around the almighty dollar. So, when energy costs take their toll on our overall economic engine, things WILL change.

In the meantime, my concern is security. W/out it, we're doomed! Nothing else matters!