Clubplanet Nightlife Community

More bad NYC club stuff...

V. Barbarino

From the Post

2006 -- STATE Attorney General Eliot Spitzer is poised for a bar brawl with New York nightclub owners after dusting off an antiquated law that could put an end to liquor company-sponsored "open bars" at city swilleries.

Spitzer's office began a widespread investigation last fall into the promotional ploys, including open bars, run by liquor companies at city bars and clubs. Under the state's Alcoholic Beverage Control Law, which dates back more than 70 years, distributors are prohibited from giving retailers free booze or other forms of graft as a reward for being good customers. "Sponsored" open bars, where customers drink the sponsoring brand for free, are a staple of the city's social scene and a steady source of revenue for many venues - but they're threatened by Spitzer's watering hole witch hunt.

The gratis booze flowed freely until State Liquor Authority inspector Chester O'Brien quit the SLA in a huff last year and publicly blasted his agency's lax enforcement of the ancient anti-sponsorship statute.

Club owners are fuming about Spitzer's new, hard-nosed approach. "It's putting a serious damper on business," one major Manhattan club honcho grouses. "Everyone's scared that [spitzer] is going to call them in and depose them next. None of the big clubs can do events sponsored by liquor brands anymore. Obviously, that's bad for our business and bad for the customer."

Clubland lawyer Warren Pesetsky, who represents Crobar and several other city hot spots under investigation, tells Page Six's Fernando Gil: "This is an anachronistic statute over 70 years old. If they enforce it, the marketplace will just come up with another way of getting around it. This might have made sense in 1933 after prohibition was repealed, but not in today's market."

Technically, all open bars have been illegal in the city since 1999 - unless they're at private events like weddings. And New York Nightlife Association lawyer Robert Bookman remains optimistic that Spitzer's minions won't institute any draconian rulings. "At the end of the day, we hope this investigation will result in proposals to amend New York's outdated liquor laws and make them more pro-consumer," he said. "Since this investigation started, we've already begun to see an increase in drink prices."

State Attorney General Office spokeswoman Juanita Scarlett declined to comment yesterday.

Guest mp3some

This is ridiculous..... this spitzer guy better get a girlfriend or somn! ::)

but the last paragraph is key tho....

"At the end of the day, we hope this investigation will result in proposals to amend New York's outdated liquor laws and make them more pro-consumer," he said. "Since this investigation started, we've already begun to see an increase in drink prices."

prepare for $20 bad drinks in NY... >:(

"At the end of the day, we hope this investigation will result in proposals to amend New York's outdated liquor laws and make them more pro-consumer," he said. "Since this investigation started, we've already begun to see an increase in drink prices."

They are already $15 for a regular drink. Thats after waiting 15 minutes for a watered down sorry excuse for a drink in a shot glass. NO JOKE.

I just dont get how this benefits the city?

Guest rollyp66

They are already $15 for a regular drink. Thats after waiting 15 minutes for a watered down sorry excuse for a drink in a shot glass. NO JOKE.

I just dont get how this benefits the city?

I know of an old miami bartender that is a Bartender in NYC..... remember where we were last year?? Go see him

Guest LeVeL

$15.00 for a drink in New York is one reason why I love Miami so much more that NY.

NY is nice and all but I would never live in that rathole.

Guest rollyp66

$15.00 for a drink in New York is one reason why I love Miami so much more that NY.

NY is nice and all but I would never live in that rathole.

Its a rat race but i definitely wouldn't call it a rathole.

Rolly, i dont remember what he looked like...whats his name?

Manny!!!!

Guest james stratus

$10, $11, $12 in Miami is getting close to that $15. Damn, I remember when high priced drinks down here were only $6.