Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Spraying Your Pits May Hurt Your Tits?

Guest Slide On The Ice

Guest Slide On The Ice

This is a strange new theory, that underarm deodorants may increase the risk of breast cancer.

http://health.msn.com/centers/breastcancer/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100125660&GT1=7890

Could Antiperspirants Raise Breast Cancer Risk?

It's a question that needs investigating, experts say

-- Robert Preidt

MONDAY, March 6 (HealthDay News) -- Scientists believe aluminum salts found in antiperspirants could heighten breast cancer risk, but they caution that this theory requires further investigation.

According to the authors of a review in the April issue of the Journal of Applied Toxicology, chemicals that mimic the body's natural hormone estrogen are known to affect breast cancer risk. And there's increasing evidence that aluminum salts, which account for 25 percent of the volume of some antiperspirants, can get through the skin and into the body, where they can mimic estrogen.

"Since estrogen is known to be involved in the development and progression of human breast cancer, any components of the environment that have estrogenic activity and which can enter the human breast could theoretically influence a woman's risk of breast cancer," article author Dr. Philippa Darbre, of the School of Biological Sciences at the University of Reading in the U.K., said in a prepared statement.

Since antiperspirants are sprayed into the armpits, exposure to aluminum salts is concentrated near the breasts. Furthermore, women often apply antiperspirants immediately after shaving their armpits, which means the skin there is likely to be damaged and less able to keep out the aluminum salts.

"It is reasonable to question whether this aluminum could then influence breast cancer," Darbre said.

Aluminum salts in antiperspirants aren't the only concern, she noted. Smoking tobacco introduces the element cadmium into the body, and cadmium can collect in breast tissue. Cadmium can bind to estrogen receptors and influence their action. There is evidence that the accumulation of cadmium can increase breast cancer risk.

"Each of these agents on their own may not have a powerful effect, but we need to see what happens when a number of them act together -- it could be that this would have a significant effect on diseases like breast cancer," Darbre said.

More information

The U.S. National Cancer Institute has more about antiperspirants and breast cancer.

Guest Marina22

Heard about it before but haven't gotten the crystal. I can't see how it can work that well especially in extreme conditions ie: dancing your ass off in a club in the summer.

Guest Miss_Digital

think about it everday of your life we put chemicals that block your pores and keep you from being stinky

it has to have some effect

do as the french do.... LOL stinky pit = no cancer ... OH la la! :o

Guest JMT

think about it everday of your life we put chemicals that block your pores and keep you from being stinky

it has to have some effect

the rest of your skin still has open pores.

Guest Diabolique

If you read the crystal description, bacteria doesn't form, so there is no oder. Bacteria is what causes the oder...

I'm going to try it, I'm curious....

Guest Spankmeister

If you read the crystal description, bacteria doesn't form, so there is no oder. Bacteria is what causes the oder...

I'm going to try it, I'm curious....

Warning though, it will not work straight away...it takes a little time for your body to get used to the crystal...after a little while (everybody is different) it will work just as good as any store bought

Guest Spankmeister

Personally I haven't tried it...but I know some women that have done so...Like most 'natural' remedies...you body will just need to adjust... :)