Clubplanet Nightlife Community

S. Carolina proposing bill to execute repeat child molestors

Guest JMT

Guest JMT

S.C. bill: Execute 2-time molesters

Push follows arrest in dungeon case; attorney general backs proposal

COLUMBIA - Some S.C. legislators want to execute twice-convicted child molesters, and experts say such a law could be upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court.

"This is a historic moment for South Carolina to step forward and force the Supreme Court's hand," said Sen. David Thomas, R-Greenville, who is supporting a bill that could make the state the second -- behind Louisiana -- to allow the death penalty for a crime other than murder. "We have changed as a nation since the 1970s when the court last addressed the constitutionality of capital punishment for a sex crime. It's a horror -- someone who twice rapes a young child -- they deserve a death sentence."

FULL STORY: http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/14202154.htm

Guest tres-b

To me this is not about trying to deter, it is about protecting children which I am all for in every way.

That being said, 2 counts of statutory rape on a 16 year old shouldnt lead to the DP. There has to be limits to the way this is enforced.

Guest slamminshaun

I don't support the death penalty unless its 1st degree murder. As much as I'd love to stick in a needle in the arm of a child molester, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Life without parole is more appropriate.