Clubplanet Nightlife Community

anybody heard/ saw what happened @ Nocturnal???

Guest Fez

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pod

I just love reading the whiny out-of-town boards, and their first complaint is automatically about doormen, security, bartenders, hell even the parking lot guys!

Conversely, I've seen these out-of-town folk come down and expect the red-carpet treatment because "it's conference", "I'm friends with DJ so-and-so", "In New York/London/Berlin we don't treat people like this..." and DJ so-and-so is the guy at the bottom of the flyer who is playing a 45-minute opener, and even the headlining DJ has a guestlist that is cut off at ten people.

Again, there are a few bad apples in the bunch, but I hate to see our club workers get a bad rap overall. Over time, I've become friends with some of them, and these self-righteous tourists would be amazed at the patience our guys display after working for six days straight and dealing with every line under the sun.

I forget which website it was, but they did a little conference guide and right off the bat, they did an item on dealing with "moronic Miami club workers". It's a two way street. If I'm a doorman/bartender/security guy, and you think I'm a moron, I'm gonna act like a moron and treat you like one right back.

Tourists tend to forget that, there's a little thing called respecting your hosts. I don't know, when I travel and I go out in another city, I hardly expect for me to "be known" or get any sort of special treatment. I remember reading an interview with the former doorman at crobar, Fabrizio, where he said he went out in another city, and his hookup didn't come through, so he just went to a bar with his girlfriend and sipped martinis for a few hours.

But back to the Richie thing (keep it on topic haha), like anything there's three sides to the story, his side, the club's side, and what really happened.

Guest Darwin Castillo

But back to the Richie thing (keep it on topic haha), like anything there's three sides to the story, his side, the club's side, and what really happened.

And I was there the whole time next to him, so u want to know the truth, just ask! ;D

Guest tijuanarave

And I was there the whole time next to him, so u want to know the truth, just ask! ;D

I think you missed Pod's point... THERE IS NO TRUTH, because there are 3 sides to a story there can't be one absolute truth... the point is that apparently everybody has already shaked hands and let everything just be in the past...

I love these forums... I get to re-live all of my Conference experiences... thank you

Guest pod

We need something semi-dramatic to bitch about on a weekly basis. In the absence of anything of note happening this past weekend, we're dragging on an older thread.

Guest JustDade

The thing is that you make it sound like there was no problem at all and Richie and friends were just hanging out having a quiet drink when all of a sudden some thug bouncer came in and put him in a headlock for no reason. It just doesnt ring true.

Simply put, the security staff is there to enforce the rules of the house. The Djs are supposed to respect the rules of the house and the security staff. If someone gets put in a headlock, it's usually because they dont want to listen. This is not uncommon and it really sucks.

The real shame is that these are the people who are supposed to know better. They are supposed to be part of the team for the night. They are supposed to help in these situations. Maybe if when the bouncer told them that they had to get some people out of the booth they just said OK, we wouldn't be reading this thread.

Guest Devilicious

Where'd ya hear that little one liner? :P

Guest Devilicious

You know, I really don't know? I didn't come up with it though.

I think I first used it when Shaun had that debacle at Space and promised us his friend was sober and cooperative and that is why he was thrown out by the big mean thug bouncer. 3 sides: his, yours, and the truth! Fits well in this instance for sure.

Guest Darwin Castillo

Oh yeah. ;D

It's always a debacle when someone gets 86'd.

and u can always find someone here talking about it. yeah!!!

Guest coach

Six pages this goes on??? Must be a slow news week. Did I miss anything between pages 1 and 6?

Guest pod

It is a slow news week.

If you want, I'll go out and commit some atrocities on the clubgoing populace for you.

Guest coach

It is a slow news week.

If you want, I'll go out and commit some atrocities on the clubgoing populace for you.

Just the tourists, of course. Oh, and make sure they are hot and get some pics, too.

Guest fostech

What a dork of a DJ' date=' I really dont see what the mass appeal of this guy really is, to tell you the truth.

yeah he has made great productions with the alias Plastikman but for him to come to conference and act like a clown and get thrown out for acting like he was acting, really made him look so unprofessional and I hope he learns his lesson from this. But I can imagine that a lot of the people that went to this party to see, "what the whole fuss was about Richie Hawtin". Really aren't going to see him next time around and also it probably hurt him from getting booked down here again.

Alot of Dj's that come during conference that make big impressions usually get booked again after conference is over.

[/quote']

Your'e missing the point.

It's not a about his productions, it's not about his gigs, it's not about the drugs, his attitude, or the 3 day-long afterhours. Its about the person who is moving things forward for many other people in the industry. Without a doubt he is the man pushing the envelope... doesn't matter what music you like or dislike. Whenever you decide to catch up and understant what is it that he does ... he'll be over that and on to semthing else. Oscar.

What a dork of a DJ, I really dont see what the mass appeal of this guy really is, to tell you the truth.

yeah he has made great productions with the alias Plastikman but for him to come to conference and act like a clown and get thrown out for acting like he was acting, really made him look so unprofessional and I hope he learns his lesson from this. But I can imagine that a lot of the people that went to this party to see, "what the whole fuss was about Richie Hawtin". Really aren't going to see him next time around and also it probably hurt him from getting booked down here again.

Alot of Dj's that come during conference that make big impressions usually get booked again after conference is over.

Your'e missing the point.

It's not a about his productions, it's not about his gigs, it's not about the drugs, his attitude, or the 3 day-long afterhours. Its about the person who is moving things forward for many other people in the industry. Without a doubt he is the man pushing the envelope... doesn't matter what music you like or dislike. Whenever you decide to catch up and understant what is it that he does ... he'll be over that and on to semthing else. Oscar.

damn, dude. why don't you marry him?

Guest cool1g

i was pretty happy with the door situations. never took more than 3 minutes at any club other than Space to get in and that was no more than 15 minutes the 2 times we went.

all the bartenders i dealt with were cool, as was security. i did see one cracked out dude get removed from the upstairs bathroom at Space pretty severely (he def f*cked up and maybe dealing) but he brought that on himself IMO.

no complaints here ;D

Guest saintjohn
I forget which website it was, but they did a little conference guide and right off the bat, they did an item on dealing with "moronic Miami club workers"

Unfortunately, staffing standards definitely slip during conference:

Male Security/Bouncers Needed

Reply to: gigs-144229568@craigslist.org

Date: 2006-03-22, 2:00PM EST

We are an established nightclub in Downtown Miami and we are in need of some extra security/bouncer help for the upcoming Winter Music Conference. You would need to be available most of Friday - Tuesday (March 24-28). Events will go day and night.

If interested, please reply with the following:

1) Name and Contact Phone Number

2) Any previous experience?

3) Any specialized training? (Martial Arts, Military)

4) Height, Weight

5) Availability? (Between Fri and Tues, when are you NOT available)

this is in or around Downtown Miami

no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Compensation: $12/hour cash at the end of the night.

So, which "established nightclub in Downtown Miami" didn't have enough contacts within the industry and had to place an open call for bouncers on craigslist? Also, the "specialized training" that the ad mentions has little to do with keeping the peace at a nightclub, unless your MOS was 31B. Hiring people that are good at fighting is one thing; hiring people that are better at preventing fights is another.

I notice the ad does NOT state that proper training, certification, previous experience, and references are required. It's the most stressful week(s) of the year for south Florida club staff, and this venue is hiring guys with "Martial Arts" training. Great.

Guest pod

I can guess the venue just by the semantics and dates listed in the ad.

Like I said though, it stinks that a few bad apples ruin it for the rest of the gang.

Guest bcnjunkie

the last time I saw hawtin was an afterhours in Barcelona, which he offered to play for free after sonar festival. He was tag-teaming with Sven Vath and the guy was pretty cool actually. Although at cocoom in Ibiza Sven Vath has been known to do some crazy stuff but not hurting others ..... hmmm the gorrillas here are pretty mindless so gotta see what really happened