Clubplanet Nightlife Community

twilo

Guest Satan

Guest mp3some

FYE.

Came across this interview w an old twilobuddy... lol

from the pages of RA:

New York’s now defunct Twilo is probably one of the most influential clubs to have existed. Exactly how influential was it in terms of the New York scene and spreading the popularity of progressive house?

Twilo has had a huge impact on the New York scene especially in regards to introducing as well as spreading the popularity of progressive house. Twilo was more than just a club, it was an era which has played such an important role in the history of New York City clubbing. The venue’s frequent introduction of overseas dj’s and the progressive sound that they were bringing over was something a majority of NYC clubbers had never heard or seen before. Sasha and Digweed are pretty much synonymous with the word Twilo as they played there the last Friday of every month. I rarely missed one of there events and to this day I still miss what many NYC clubbers called there 2nd home. But Twilo’s success wasn’t solely based on the dj talent it was bringing in, Twilo itself was an amazing venue on many levels. Weather it was there phazon sound system, there light shows including lasers, there giant disco ball hanging from the ceiling, the unique personalities wondering through the club, or the amazing vibe; Twilo was very influential to me.

I started dj’ing in 1989 when I was in my early teen years, but then I wound up taking a break in 1993 and didn’t start dj’ing again until 1997. My reason for picking up on dj’ing again was entirely due to my 1st and 2nd experience at Twilo. The first time I went there and saw Sasha and Digweed I was absolutely blown away by the sound that was coming out of the speakers. It was quite an experience, one that led me to quickly run to the nearest Sam Ash and invest a few grand into dj equipment (one of the best decisions of my life).

Another thing that Twilo did which was very innovative for the time was to have a message board on there website. I personally didn’t even know what a message board was until I came across the Twilo website. The Twilo message board developed into a community of underground clubbers, dj’s, producers, and onlookers whom to this day still remain very close with one another.

Whether it was their phazon sound system, their light shows including lasers, their giant disco ball hanging from the ceiling, the unique personalities wondering through the club, or the amazing vibe; Twilo was very influential to me.

Have S&D back here at least quarterly pleeeaasseee! lol

.- 8)

Guest Satan

i spent an entire year at twilo ny almost every weekend. i am curious to see how that translates into the miami scene.

it was definately a great club, one of the best of the megaclubs. sure players sq footage may not be the same but i agree with Talmage here, size matters not.

one thing is certain the talent in terms of music brought in consistantly by twilo NY easily compares to the level brought in by Space... and open both fridays and saturdays

Guest DrFired

Hey i want to rock a twilomiami shirt up here. Angel, mail me one?

I got one for you Jackie, it's only extra small, will that be ok? :P

Sure thing!!! :-*

in that case, it's right here waiting for you! :-*

Guest bcnjunkie

They carved the name into the front of the old Players building.

I'm awaiting the opening and then the 2309742309874873 posts on how the one in New York was better.

if it counts for anything I think Spirit (located where twilo used to be and the original sound factory).... is better than twilo ever was in terms of set-up :)

Guest vaughan

there is one big difference everyone seems to forget.. the original twilo was owned by phil smith, steve dash, and mike bindra - take away dash and bindra and there goes the promotional part, the booking part, and the sound genious in dash.... ???

YEp...

A name is only a name... Only time will tell.

if it counts for anything I think Spirit (located where twilo used to be and the original sound factory).... is better than twilo ever was in terms of set-up :)

spirit got raided last night.... underage drinking and drug activity....

Along with Avalon and Crobar. WOW what a shocker. ::) Its all good, i was at Pacha for the Robots/Sven Vath party. SIIIICCCKKKK.......

Guest aj2234

there is one big difference everyone seems to forget.. the original twilo was owned by phil smith, steve dash, and mike bindra - take away dash and bindra and there goes the promotional part, the booking part, and the sound genious in dash.... ???

YEp...

A name is only a name... Only time will tell.

i'm sure Phil and his team will be delivering a product you will all be very happy with ;)

Guest skywalker01

Have S&D back here at least quarterly pleeeaasseee! lol

.- 8)

their sound has changed so much. that era made them the legends that they are. miami has its own unique vibe and hopefully the club will be successful, regardless.

Guest LiquidX

The thing about TWILO is/was that it became a signature in the super mega/clubs explosions, or at least it formed part in that era. It became such a brand name recognition not only in the states, but in the world!! Their line-up was an envy for the world, as well as the DJ sets that made historic in a time where this music was really going off.. and TWILO was part of this. From Sasha & Digweed to Paul van Dyk's sets.. Ive heard and read many memorable things. I even think it was Space Miami's Mentor heh.. but what made TWILO what it was, was the atmosphere, the warehouse that iwas structured in, and the clubbers that went. That is something hard to translate and imitate, much more in a total different city. Hopefully the concept, idea and vibe translates, cause I would have loved to have been part of what TWILO once was.

Guest bootstah

I hope new clubs = more variety in music. After conference it's hard to get back into the same genre of music. Not that it is all the same it just seems that the scene is lacking in variety. :-\

Guest coach

I hope new clubs = more variety in music. After conference it's hard to get back into the same genre of music. Not that it is all the same it just seems that the scene is lacking in variety. :-\

Ummmmmm... maybe you aren't going the right places? We seem to find tons of variety.