Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is reggaeton ova?

Guest JMT

Guest JMT
Sorta like the same asshole who used a chevy cobalt and vette in the same commercial...

probably the worst commercial in the history of the auto industry. and i didnt think it could sink any lower then the "ride it like a ford" campaign.

Guest ramon

El General and Vico C were producing tracks that could be considered as such in the mid to late 1980s.

Like any form of music, it takes awhile to climb out of the "roots" era and into the main public consciousness. There's occasional blips and blurbs, but I'd dare to say it takes about 20 years for a form of music to become "accepted" by mainstream America. Rock even. It was the devil's music until about the early 70s. Songs that were banned on the radio then became commerical jingles in the 1980s.

Things are a bit quicker nowadays due to the web, but it still takes time for music that is "out there" to become acceptable material to the public.

The nice thing about dance tracks is that there's usually no real lyrics so it's kinda hard to rail on the lyrical content.

Vico C is still doing good shit. Los Doce Diciupulos LP is probably getting a re-release soon. ;)

Guest pod

Plus, reggaeton is usually in Spanish so market penetration stateside is a bitch. It's like Rammstein in a way. Rammstein is an industral/hard rock band out of Germany. The music is very harsh and the German lyrics make it even more so. Big in the industrial scene, but their mainstream sales are pretty dismal due to non-English lyrics. Oddly enough, most of the bandmembers can speak passable English. They just prefer to sing in German since it matches the music better.

Reggaeton is in a similar situation. I think that track that Ramon sent me one drunken morning would sound utterly retarded in English. Spanish just meshes well with it. Reggaeton is big here and in other urban centers due to the majority of Spanish speakers. If through some quirk of history the inner cities all spoke German, you bet there'd be a station in town that played Rammstein, Einstürzende Neubauten, KMFDM, Pig, and other such artists on constant rotation all day.

Guest davidorth

you know what...sheep or no sheep...do we really have the right to try and judge who is truly inspired to make music and who isn't? now, i may not be a fan of reggeton, but i have learned something very valuable being on the board of governors for the grammys...and it's this...music is music. there is good music in every genre just as there is bad music in every genre. i'm a believer in spreading positive music in whatever genre it is. but, i have had the oppurtunity to meet and speak to a few reggaeton artists and producers and some of them have been idiots. however, some of them have been incredibly genuine and passionate about the music they do. who are we to tell them that they should be producing house music or electronic music? i for one am doing my best to not say that any one genre is "uninspired trash" or anything of the like, because that just adds more seperation and negativity to an already boiled over pot of elitism and snobbery. i say we should lead by example...i say that we should be INclusive not EXclusive. another way to look at it is this...BALANCE...if everything was of the same quality...it wouldn't make it special. so, you may not love it, but at least respect it. now, i know some of you may start responding about negative lyric content, etc...and i'm with you...i don't agree with a lot of what rappers and reggaton artists have to say about gangbanging, etc... but, remember, just as there is that "stuff" there are some extremely moving and poignant writers and poets, talking about what they know, what they have experienced, and what they have lost and learned. i for one will not judge those people just because the beat they use isn't the one that i play. let's stop this bashing of musical tastes. it's getting f**king old and it certainly isn't helping our music community or scene.

very well said my friend...

dale don dale :P