Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Newest Nintendo Craze! In Stores Now!

The SNES that never was:

media?id=2836578

DYAMNNNNNNNN I RMEMBER THAT SHITTTTTTT back in the middle school days we talked about it...

i rmember the first cd based game system i got was sega cd

what shyte that was lol

only good game was panzer dragoon and sonic and some rpg i forget the name.. i think phantasy star

Guest pod

8-bit NES had an expansion port on the bottom as well. It was to be for a future processor add on from what I was told.

Guest pod

Saturn was a flash in the pan. I dropped out of the console gaming world soon after the 32-bit revolution. Was a bit of a PC gamer for a bit, and then real life kicked in and I lost interest.

I miss playing Carmageddon though on my old PC. That game was so much fun.

The SNES that never was:

media?id=2836578

In the Early 90's SONY approached Nintendo to make that CD-ROM drive for the SNES, but Nintendo, being the idiots they are, did not accept. They felt that a CD was not an appropriate platform for video games. So, a few years later the CD-ROM drive pictured above became the beloved PLAYSTATION that has sold millions and kicked Nintendo's ass in the process. I bet Nintendo execs are still kicking themselves in the ass and SONY is laughing all the way to the bank

Guest pod

Back in 1988, Nintendo struck a deal with Sony to manufacture the sound chip for the then-upcoming Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Sony would later use this alliance with Nintendo to bolster support for its own planned console -- code-named the "Play Station" -- which would play Super Nintendo cartridges in addition to Sony's own CD-ROM games. As a part of this agreement, Sony was responsible for developing a CD-ROM add-on system for the Super Nintendo. The plan called for full cross-compatibility: SNES cartridges would play on Sony's Play Station, and Sony's CD-based games would be compatible with the Super Nintendo's CD-ROM peripheral.

It was at this point that Sony, through clever legal wrangling, secured the rights to both license and retain publishing profits derived from the dual-compatible CD-ROM software on the Super Nintendo and Play Station. Nintendo, having a history of being notoriously strict with its control over software licensing, did not react to this news very well. In fact, Nintendo decided to end its agreement with Sony to manufacture of the SNES CD-ROM hardware right then and there.

Sony, oblivious to the fact that Nintendo was displeased with the agreement between the two companies, first announced the Play Station at the 1991 Summer Consumer Electronics Show. Announcing full cross-compatibility with the Super Nintendo, Sony boasted that its CD-based games would be available for license to the software industry at large, in stark contrast with Nintendo's own brand of strict licensing practices and quality control.

The very next day, Nintendo announced its plans for a Super Nintendo CD-ROM attachment...developed by Royal Philips Electronics, Sony's rival in the electronics field.

In the end, Nintendo canceled its plans to release a Super NES CD-ROM peripheral. All the wheeling and dealing with Sony and Philips meant nothing in the end, and Nintendo would not release a disc-based videogame console until 2001, with the release of the GameCube.

Sony continued developing the Super-Nintendo-compatible Play Station, but the company ultimately scrapped the project in 1993, upon Nintendo's official announcement of the cancellation of the SNES CD-ROM. Sony then began work on its own 32-bit CD-ROM console, which was released in 1995 as the Sony PlayStation.

Stolen from www.1up.com :)

They canceled, but not due to it being an inappropriate platform for games really. It came down to wrangling at the corporate level.

Guest ddg

The SNES that never was:

media?id=2836578

In the Early 90's SONY approached Nintendo to make that CD-ROM drive for the SNES' date=' but Nintendo, being the idiots they are, did not accept. They felt that a CD was not an appropriate platform for video games. So, a few years later the CD-ROM drive pictured above became the beloved PLAYSTATION that has sold millions and kicked Nintendo's ass in the process. I bet Nintendo execs are still kicking themselves in the ass and SONY is laughing all the way to the bank

[/quote']

the nintendo 64 was one of the best systems ever...too bad the first playstation came out, cuz everyone went cd....i love my 64....zelda-ocarina of time, donkey kong, mario 64....Respect!!