Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Any home builders here?

Guest swirlundergrounder

Guest swirlundergrounder

This is a very general question. But would any of you guys have an idea of how much it would cost to add on about 375 sq feet to a house on the ground level?

I know that the price would depend on the building supplies etc, but I just need a rough dollar estimate on some very basic construction...

Thanks...

Guest Seb

This is a very general question. But would any of you guys have an idea of how much it would cost to add on about 375 sq feet to a house on the ground level?

I know that the price would depend on the building supplies etc' date=' but I just need a rough dollar estimate on some very basic construction...

Thanks...

[/quote']

I work for a home builder but at the corporate level :P

Guest drlogic

Tons of factors involved. I'm actually in construction school working on getting my GC lisence (Taking it in August in Orlando).

There are tons of factors. It's not that simple. Some GC's will throw out random #'s. I'm not even a GC (yet) so I really don't feel comfortable quoting anything.

375 sq feet? That's not much. W/ Permits?,,,or MIAMI WEEKEND WARRIOR STYLE? lol Price dif. between both are drastic!

Personally I'd rather pull a permit and be safe.

Totally beats having to tear it down, paying penalties and permits plus the cost of rebuilding it (if its worth it).

My parents didn't listen to me when they built their barn, turned out they had to move it 15 feet and the inspectors were total assholes about it making them get blueprints and all kinds of special code shits....I tell you in a hurricane they are better off in the barn than in the house. No joke.

Guest LeVeL

Yeah get a permit first Terry, I know someone who Built another room in their garage without a permit and when it was time to get a quote on the value of his house, it turned out that the value of having an added room couldn't be added since there was no permit for the added room so in that case the House was quoted with the garage instead of the added room which coyuld of sky rocketed the value of the house.

So the cost that they put to the added room in the end never provided the house the added cost they were looking for due to the remodelation.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Well what's really going on is that I'm buying a house and I'm trying to work some numbers so that I can put together an offer for the house.

The house I'm looking at is 1930 Sq feet. There is another house right behind it that is the same model except the house I'm looking at has an extra add on that is about 400 sq feet or so.

The house I'm comparing the one I want to buy is 1469 sq feet but has a lot that's 1000 sq ft bigger than the house I want. Both houses are pool homes built in 1962 so they need a little updating but not much.

The home I'm looking to buy they are asking $450K the house that I'm comparing it to sold last month for $350.

So in my mind there is no way a 400 sq foot add on is worth $100K... Correct me if I'm worng though.

Guest drlogic

Can't argue w/ anyone here.

I would try to find some gc's and get estimates(w/ permits/fees included).

The permit thing is frustrating, especially when you learn about stories of gc's/home owners paying off inspectors to turn a blind eye. But, if I were you I'd play it safe. As you deal w/ diffferent GC's, you quickly learn how many friggin' CHARACTERS there are out there.

The gc's who use the "illegal" mexicans/south american labor will probably get you a much better quote(no need to factor in insurance and they'll work for beer..LOL) Although, the GC is ultimately responsible for EVERYTHING...but the risk falls on his/her shoulders, not yours(home owner). ...LOL It's the american fohkn' way! Sad, but true!

Guest JMT

my company does not do new construction.

however, adding on is always more expensive then it would have been if it was built that way in the beginning. im willing to say when all is said and done an addition would run about $200-$250 per sq. foot (ballpark), as long as everything is permitted properly, meets code, and there is a roof over it.

Guest swirlundergrounder

my company does not do new construction.

however, adding on is always more expensive then it would have been if it was built that way in the beginning. im willing to say when all is said and done an addition would run about $200-$250 per sq. foot (ballpark), as long as everything is permitted properly, meets code, and there is a roof over it.

$200-$250 per/sq ft sounds about right...

Tons of factors involved. I'm actually in construction school working on getting my GC lisence (Taking it in August in Orlando).

There are tons of factors. It's not that simple. Some GC's will throw out random #'s. I'm not even a GC (yet) so I really don't feel comfortable quoting anything.

375 sq feet? That's not much. W/ Permits?,,,or MIAMI WEEKEND WARRIOR STYLE? lol Price dif. between both are drastic!

with permits? lol

im sure he would like a contractor that pulls a permit

many gc's that don't are getting major court fines if not jail time up to 20 years

in your mexican worker comment, many subcontractors that work for these gc's have papers that allow these mexicans to work for them. Im sure 99% of these mexicans wouldn't work for beer, trust me.

the cities are cutting down on gc's that don't have licenses, workers comp, don't pull permits ect, so when they do find someone working on a property they do ask not only for that subcontractors paperwork but all the people that are working on the job site.

Guest drlogic

I know they won't work for beer. That wasn't meant to be taken literally. Manda Huevo! I was implying working cheap, hence giving the homeowner a cheaper estimate. And as you know, south fla. is the WILD, WILD West of real estate and illegal home remodeling.

Yes, I have heard/read the stories of GC's getting snagged and FAKE GC's being put in jail......But just like the drug trade,,,,so long as there is a demand, the illegal stuff ain't going away. For every guy they snag, there are 10 who get away w/ it! It's a little Pollyanish to assume all is honkydory because the local news shows a few dirt bags in a perp walk.

For the record, I witness ILLEGAL work being done in my neck of da' woods on a DAILY BASIS! For Example: I saw one guy bring a team of 12 guys (mostly Central/South American) to remove and replace an ENTIRE roof(shingles) of a home in less than 12 hours. The home owner is a very successful GC who said he didn't have time to deal w/ the permits. So he assembled a crew and directed the work. funny thing is watching tons of homes who've have their roofs being replaced "for weeks" and still waiting for completion. LOL

Just "keep it real up in da' field, Aight?"

Top of da' food chain! ruff, ruff!

bombaclath!

Guest swirlundergrounder

I know they won't work for beer. That wasn't meant to be taken literally. Manda Huevo! I was implying working cheap, hence giving the homeowner a cheaper estimate. And as you know, south fla. is the WILD, WILD West of real estate and illegal home remodeling.

Yes, I have heard/read the stories of GC's getting snagged and FAKE GC's being put in jail......But just like the drug trade,,,,so long as there is a demand, the illegal stuff ain't going away. For every guy they snag, there are 10 who get away w/ it! It's a little Pollyanish to assume all is honkydory because the local news shows a few dirt bags in a perp walk.

For the record, I witness ILLEGAL work being done in my neck of da' woods on a DAILY BASIS! For Example: I saw one guy bring a team of 12 guys (mostly Central/South American) to remove and replace an ENTIRE roof(shingles) of a home in less than 12 hours. The home owner is a very successful GC who said he didn't have time to deal w/ the permits. So he assembled a crew and directed the work. funny thing is watching tons of homes who've have their roofs being replaced "for weeks" and still waiting for completion. LOL

Just "keep it real up in da' field, Aight?"

Top of da' food chain! ruff, ruff!

bombaclath!

Damm 12 hours? That's crazy. There are some million dollar plus homes in my neighborhood that seem like they have been getting their roofs redone for weeks now... LOL

Guest drlogic

I know. It's sad. There's just too much work out there. Contractors are taking on too much work and their leaving the homeowner hanging out to dry at their mercy. BASTARDS! lol

Yeah, this neighbor of mine(cool guy, by the way). He's been a GC for 25 yrs. He does commercial bldgs for a developer. It took him a while to get the supplies. Once he had the supplies delivered. The next wknd, he rounded up 12 dudes and a friend who owns a lunch truck. They tore down the old shingles, placed new plywood OVER the entire existing plywood, paper, then shingles, flashing, etc.....BY SUNSET,,,,They were done! BRAND NEW ROOF! That's what I call Weekend Warrior shit. He was up there the whole time crack'n da' whip on those dudes. Funny thing is, a TEAM METRO inspector is his FRONT DOOR NEIGHBOR, and was out there drinking beers and talking shit in amazment at how fast and good these guys worked! lol WELCOME TO MIAMI, BABY!

Permit? Wut Permit? LOL YEAH,,OKAY???? SURE, GUY!!! lol

Damm 12 hours? That's crazy. There are some million dollar plus homes in my neighborhood that seem like they have been getting their roofs redone for weeks now... LOL

Since we are on the topic - For the past 4 weeks I have been doing some volunteer work repairing roof (shingles) of low income families before the hurricane season arrives.

Now I realized how many roof are damaged and yet (a year latter) have not been repair.

So here is the question, I was thinking about making a HUGE career change (I work in the IT field for a private financial institution) and trying to get a Roof Contract licence. I make about 71k a year but I am tired of my job.

Does that make sense? (money wise...)

Guest drlogic

You're making good money bro.

I too work in IT. Been @ my job for over 10 yrs. now. Getting sick of it. I've got a friend who sold 5 of his businesses and is sitting on a ton of money. He's been buying up property like crazy for that past couple years in Port Charlotte on the Fla. gulf coast and plans on building homes and getting into the home renovation business. He's the main reason I'm taking a stab @ this GC stuff. I've done HANDYMAN shit for years and play a carpenter on the wknds. I've been in school now for 4 months. I'm registered to take my exam in August. It's a hard test(2 days). Open book, but tons of material to cover. Very few pass it on the first try.

The folks going for the ROOFERS lic. actually have more books than the GC. Go Fig'r????????????? I initially considered going for the roofers lic. considering all the damaged roofs and busy hurricane season sure to provide plenty of job security. Roofers are so busy, some ARE NOT EVEN ANSWERING THEIR BUSINESS PHONE LINES..no joke! I'm dead serious! My mom's roof was damaged last season and she couldn't even get estimates. How busy must you be that you don't even answer the phone? THAT'S INSANE!

Regardless, I figured I'd help my friend out and focus on home remodeling. Another friend of mine is a GC and he ONLY does home repair/remodeling....THE GUY IS FUCKING RICH! ROLL'N IN DOUGH! FORRADO HASTA LAS TETAS! lol

I'm married w/ 2 kids and this salary shit ain't cutt'n it! I'm hungry for some REAL money!

Sorry for that tangent......just giving you my perspective.

Guest swirlundergrounder

I'm married w/ 2 kids and this salary shit ain't cutt'n it! I'm hungry for some REAL money!

U seem hungry for a lot of things...LOL

Guest drlogic

Can't argue w/ you there..........

GUILTY AS CHARGED, YOUR HONOR!

LOL

my sooooooper sperm don't play! LOL ;)