Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Anyone here into sound design and sound for film?

Guest swirlundergrounder

Guest swirlundergrounder

I'm doing a sound desgin project and I need to foley some sounds into a scene. I need ideas on how I can get a metal shield sound.

I thought of using an aluminum garbage can lid but I can't seem to find one anywhere.

I don't need any impact sounds on the shield. I just need the sound of it when someone is carrying it around.

Is there anything else besides actually having a real shield that I can use??

Guest Adam Singer

I'm doing a sound desgin project and I need to foley some sounds into a scene. I need ideas on how I can get a metal shield sound.

I thought of using an aluminum garbage can lid but I can't seem to find one anywhere.

I don't need any impact sounds on the shield. I just need the sound of it when someone is carrying it around.

i have a sound bank that would help you alot - have an interview @ 6:30, call me at like 8 and ill give you more than a few options for this

Guest swirlundergrounder

i have a sound bank that would help you alot - have an interview @ 6:30, call me at like 8 and ill give you more than a few options for this

What kind of sound bank is it?

Guest Adam Singer

i have a sound bank that would help you alot - have an interview @ 6:30' date=' call me at like 8 and ill give you more than a few options for this

[/quote']What kind of sound bank is it?

just all kinds of random sounds & FX...

we should actually hook up one of these days and just trade sound banks...

my library is over 15gb now (of GOOD quality shit)

Guest swirlundergrounder

What kind of sound bank is it?

just all kinds of random sounds & FX...

we should actually hook up one of these days and just trade sound banks...

my library is over 15gb now (of GOOD quality shit)

Yeah man I have a sound FX library with about 8GB of sound files I think... Maybe I can bring my external drive over and you can dump your sounds onto them..OH wait!! My external HD is formated for mac only....LOL

If you know that you have some shield and sword sounds maybe you can drag them into a folder and send them to me via sendspace..

it would help a lot.

Or if you find an aluminum garbage can lid that would help also..

Guest jamu

Hey terry see if they have an anvil hit and run it through an eq, gate, and compressor and see what you get ;-P

Guest swirlundergrounder

Hey terry see if they have an anvil hit and run it through an eq, gate, and compressor and see what you get ;-P

That's the thing. I don't really need a hit. I need a flutter. It's more of a minor sound. I have the hits and stuff.. I need more of a constant rattling noise from the shield being carried

Guest swirlundergrounder

try a cheapo shallow metal oven tray like the ones you bake cookies on.

Yeah I have a couple of those but they don't bend enough when you rattle them. I could ask around for a thinner one..

Guest coach

Shields don't really rattle when being carried. They are just one solid hunk of metal with a wooden/leather handle. Now, metal armor, *that* rattles, especially chainmail.

Guest jamu

I agree and you might want to use some keys to move up and down really close to the mic to get the same effect. Then eq.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Shields don't really rattle when being carried. They are just one solid hunk of metal with a wooden/leather handle. Now, metal armor, *that* rattles, especially chainmail.

I'm not looking for a rattling noise. More like a flutter when the shield is being moved. A slight fluttering noise not a swoosh or anything like that.

The shield I need the sound for is one of those big roman shields...

Guest jamu

Are you doing the gladitor project? If you are rip off the sounds from Ben Hur. Just use some of the samples from the movie. God knows that movie has some great samples for that.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Are you doing the gladitor project? If you are rip off the sounds from Ben Hur. Just use some of the samples from the movie. God knows that movie has some great samples for that.

No I brought my own scene in. It's the sword fight scene from Troy.

Is the Ben Hur scene in the 5.1 room?

Guest swirlundergrounder

Actually found something that sounds like the flutter of a sheild. I found a metal file cabinet that someone was throwing out. I took the drawer out of it and when you move it around it sounds like someone carrying a metal sheild. I recorded it into my Pro Tools session to go along with the scene I'm doing and it sounds great!!