Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Mid East:Real Journalist would go...Katie Couric will not

Guest tres-b

Guest tres-b

Couric was a joke before this and is even less credible now. Shep Smith is the only anchor worth watching...

from access hollywood:

Mere miles from St. Tropez, where celebrities like Paris Hilton, Liam Neeson and Pamela Anderson and Kid Rock were recently spotted enjoying the sand and sun, the world has erupted into a very frightening place.

And once again, American news correspondents are braving life-threatening dangers to bring viewers and readers the story of the escalating violence in Israel's war against Hezbollah in Lebanon.

NBC's Martin Fletcher is in Israel, where he and his crew came within seconds of becoming war casualties.

"A rocket fell 100 yards in front of us, straight in our line of driving," Fletcher told Access Hollywood. "Five seconds later we would have been hit. We just saw this flash of red flame, a huge explosion."

Reporting from Haifa, where Hezbollah rockets rain down indiscriminately, presents a danger unique to even seasoned war correspondents.

"It's completely random," Fletcher told us. "Rescue workers carry victims to the train station. So, once you do this job, you accept that your fate is in someone else's hands."

Despite the risk, anchors and reporters continue to flood into the Middle East.

NBC's Brian Williams and ABC's Charles Gibson are already in the danger zone. NBC's Ann Curry filed her first report from Beirut Wednesday.

The decision to enter a war zone remains a choice.

More than 70 journalists have died covering the Iraq War. And in January, ABC's brand-new "World News Tonight" co-anchor, Bob Woodruff, was seriously injured when the convoy he was riding in was hit by an explosive device in Iraq.

Risking their own safety to provide the depth of coverage needed is nothing new for network and cable news anchors.

Once called the "most trusted figure" in American public life, according to the Museum of Broadcast Communications, Walter Cronkite spoke eloquently on opening communications with the North Vietnamese following his visit to the war-torn region.

Dan Rather reported from Baghdad, and interviewed Saddam Hussein after Iraq invaded Kuwait.

As the "World News Tonight" anchor, Peter Jennings reported from both the Gulf War and the war in Iraq.

NBC's Tom Brokaw, who flew around the globe as an anchor to cover breaking news, may have even faced a potential threat to his life at home.

A letter containing anthrax was sent to Brokaw as part of the 2001 anthrax attacks. Brokaw did not open the tainted letter, but two NBC News employees were infected.

The big question remains: what about Katie?

Katie Couric, who takes over the CBS Evening News in September told Access Hollywood that at this point, she would not venture into the Middle East hot spot.

"I think the situation there is so dangerous, and as a single parent with two children, that's something I won't be doing," Katie said.

Guest sross

I don't know Ms Couric's background as a journalist but it seems a bit silly to haul someone over the coals for not wanting to go to a war zone. It is a war zone after all.

Guest tres-b

I don't know Ms Couric's background as a journalist but it seems a bit silly to haul someone over the coals for not wanting to go to a war zone. It is a war zone after all.

And every great anchor spent time in war zones during their careers. Being in harms way is part of the gig. Sitting behind the desk in an air conditioned studio is what you do when important events are not going on in the world around you.

Guest lyrik

"I think the situation there is so dangerous, and as a single parent with two children, that's something I won't be doing," Katie said.

thats all that needs to be said right there.

Guest saintjohn

She's not a journalist, even if she pretends to be. Frankly, I'd rather have more serious reporters covering the situation, anyway - I certainly don't need perky Katie telling me what to think about the conflict, so I'm happy she's staying home.

Her decision speaks volumes about the current state of network news, however.

Guest sross

I'm not sure that newscasters/presenters need to be journalists per se, they should just present the news. The problem with anchors in the US (it appears to me), is that they give opinions. I want them to give me facts so that I can form my own conclusions.

Guest dahzel

i agree. if anything, it's the most responsible thing to do. once you have children your life is no longer your's. as a single parent she has a responsibility to her children and family. i personally am not a fan but think this was the right decision

Guest tres-b

i agree. if anything, it's the most responsible thing to do. once you have children your life is no longer your's. as a single parent she has a responsibility to her children and family. i personally am not a fan but think this was the right decision

I dont disagree with what you are saying. But that leads to the point of this discussion...

CBS has Couric as their next lead anchor and she cant do her job. She is not a journalist. Geraldo has more credibility as a reporter than Couric.

Guest dahzel

I dont disagree with what you are saying. But that leads to the point of this discussion...

CBS has Couric as their next lead anchor and she cant do her job. She is not a journalist. Geraldo has more credibility as a reporter than Couric.

agreed

Guest JMT

i can't stand her fake perkiness. the less time she flashes across my TV screen as i flip past her channel the better.

Guest Mattivi

modern network news is a joke. the amount of celebrity worship that goes on is repulsive. seriously who gives a rat's turd about angelina jolie's adoption habits? and if i see another interview with some twerp like britney spears, who btw has absolutely NOTHING intelligent or fascinating to say, i will puke. it amazes me the amount of unsubstantive, trite, and worthless so called "news" hits the air on the major network stations. really sad man, thats why i watch foxnews strictly.

ps- i cant blame katie couric for not going, but ^ is right she is not a journalist and probaby hasnt chased a story since highschool. geraldo and shep smith are the fucking real deal tho.

Guest slamminshaun

When a "journalist" says things like the news is "too depressing" and that she should offer solutions to the world's problems, she immediately loses credibility. Journalists should report events as they unfold, not unfold them their way.

Guest b00tyman07

imagine a cop saying that, putting yourself in danger is part of the job, and if you can't do that then you shouldn't be there