Clubplanet Nightlife Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bling

WTC: World Trade Center......

Guest dahzel

i don't think it was necessary to make this movie. we all know what happened and it just seems like an easy way to make some money. i definitely won't be seeing this. it just proves again that the studios can't come up w/ any fresh ideas for movies.

Guest slamminshaun

Not necessary? Well, is any movie really necessary when you think about it? The Vietnam war ended in 1972 with a death toll of over 200,000 Americans. Seven years later, Apocalypse Now won two Oscars. The attack on Pearl Harbor was in December 1941, then in 1942 (less then a year later) Secret Agent of Japan won an Oscar.

The reason you will see this "is it too soon?" debate is because the anti-war movement knows that this will generate new support for the war on terror and even Iraq.

Also, this is NOT the first movie about 9/11. Flight 93 had the approval of EVERY family of those that died on board. Remember Fahrenheit 9/11? Michael Moore rushed this movie to DVD and it ended up being released exactly 4 weeks before the presidential election....what's interesting is that the same people who complain about the WTC movie being "too soon" eagerly waited in line at theatres to see Michael Moore's film.

Guest dahzel

Not necessary? Well' date=' is any movie really necessary when you think about it? The Vietnam war ended in 1972 with a death toll of over 200,000 Americans. Seven years later, Apocalypse Now won two Oscars. The attack on Pearl Harbor was in December 1941, then in 1942 (less then a year later) Secret Agent of Japan won an Oscar.

The reason you will see this "is it too soon?" debate is because the anti-war movement knows that this will generate new support for the war on terror and even Iraq.

Also, this is NOT the first movie about 9/11. Flight 93 had the approval of EVERY family of those that died on board. Remember Fahrenheit 9/11? Michael Moore rushed this movie to DVD and it ended up being released exactly 4 weeks before the presidential election....what's interesting is that the same people who complain about the WTC movie being "too soon" eagerly waited in line at theatres to see Michael Moore's film.

[/quote']

there was also a horrible made for tv movie last year. definitely agree w/ you about it will generate more support for the war. i for one will mos def not see this movie.

Guest Slide On The Ice

isn't Nick Cage in this movie???

Yeah. Plays a fireman.

Guest james stratus

This movie centers around the NYPD and Nick Cage plays an NYPD Sargent.

Anyway, I came in the movie section to see if there was already a thread about this movie, and if not post a topic titled "When will Hollywood stop trying to make money on 9/11?". I know I'm not going to see it because I have found all of these Hollywood movies to be in bad taste as they have been made merely to make money and not to document a portion of those tragedies as they claim. It would be fine by me to show this movie on broadcast TV where you are not paying $9 to go see it and Nick Cage isn't getting millions to be in it.

Guest coach

Yeah, I'll be giving this one a pass, too. I can salute the brave folks there without giving my $9 to people who are already millionaires. My suggestion would be, instead of seeing this movie, give your money to your local PD or FD charity.

Guest slamminshaun

Yeah, I'll be giving this one a pass, too. I can salute the brave folks there without giving my $9 to people who are already millionaires. My suggestion would be, instead of seeing this movie, give your money to your local PD or FD charity.

Funny, I had the same suggestion when Fahrenheit 9/11 came out....nevertheless, people flocked to the theatres. Is it worth it to pay $9 for a blatantly political movie or historically accurate movie?

Guest coach

Yeah' date=' I'll be giving this one a pass, too. I can salute the brave folks there without giving my $9 to people who are already millionaires. My suggestion would be, instead of seeing this movie, give your money to your local PD or FD charity.

[/quote']

Funny, I had the same suggestion when Fahrenheit 9/11 came out....nevertheless, people flocked to the theatres. Is it worth it to pay $9 for a blatantly political movie or historically accurate movie?

I skipped that one, too.

Guest Devilicious

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Four September 11 charities will receive 10 percent of box office receipts for the first five days of director Oliver Stone's new movie "World Trade Center, the charities said on Wednesday.

Half of the box-office donation will go to the World Trade Center Memorial Foundation, which will build two reflecting pools on the footprints of the original Twin Towers, the statement said.

The remaining money will be shared equally among the other three charities, the statement said.

The charities said in a joint statement they will receive 10 percent of all "World Trade Center" ticket sales for more than 2,000 theaters that will show the movie, starting on the film's opening on August 9 through August 13.

"World Trade Center" tells the true story of two Port Authority Police officers rescued from the rubble of the collapsed twin towers.

Starring Nicholas Cage and Michael Pena, the movie follows the two officers as they go to the World Trade Center, after hearing a plane has struck one of the towers, and become trapped in the buildings' massive collapse.

Jonathan Barnett, chairman of the Tuesday's Children charity, said his group would use the money "to provide important social services and support programs for thousands of 9/11 family members for as long as the needs are there."

In addition to the World Trade Center Memorial Foundation and Tuesday's Children, the box-office donations will go to:

-- The Tribute WTC Visitor Center, created by the September 11th Families Association, which plans this summer to open a center at the site telling stories of victims, rescue workers and those who lived through the September 11 attacks.

-- The New York Police and Fire Widows' and Children's Benefit Fund.

"We are deeply appreciative of the effort to tell this story in this film, to join with us in remembering those we loved and lost, and in paying tribute to thousands of extraordinary people who responded to the city in our hour of need," the September 11th Families Association said.

10% for the first 5 days? I think that's pretty modest, personally. I don't feel that I am in any position to judge whether it's right or wrong to make the movie, but I do feel they should have been a bit more generous with the proceeds. There's a place for the movie, certainly.

Shaun, seriously. Because someone isn't ready for this movie or deems it a capitalization of tragedy does not mean they are liberal, a democrat, or part of the anti-war movement in any way. Why must you politicize and polarize EVERYthing? ::)

So, has anyone seen it?

ill see it eventually i want to see little miss sunshine.. sound fantastic .. glowing reviews plus i can relate ive seen my sister compete in pagents and modeling since she was 12 so i have seen how other obsessed parents are lol

Guest b00tyman07

i don't really get the point of seeing this movie, if i wanted to see something dramatic about september 11th i would watch a documentary about the families or the tragedy, the reality of it is dramatic enough for me

Guest slamminshaun

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Four September 11 charities will receive 10 percent of box office receipts for the first five days of director Oliver Stone's new movie "World Trade Center, the charities said on Wednesday.

10% for the first 5 days? I think that's pretty modest, personally.

Shaun, seriously. Because someone isn't ready for this movie or deems it a capitalization of tragedy does not mean they are liberal, a democrat, or part of the anti-war movement in any way. Why must you politicize and polarize EVERYthing? ::)

I didn't say anything about someone being a liberal because they're not ready to see the movie, did I? I said that the "too soon" debate was specifically started by the anti-war movement because they're afraid the movie will generate renewed support for the war. Even anti-war people agreed with me on that so I hardly "polarized" people on that statement.

So you think 10% for the 1st five days is modest huh? How much did Michael Moore donate from his movie????? :o I found this exchange between Michael Moore and a news reporter interesting:

Reporter: Mr. Moore, If you are so concerned about helping our troops in Iraq, why don’t you donate 100% of the money from your movies to that cause?

Michael Moore : I haven’t seen a dime from this movie!

But I don't recall anyone who bitched about this 10% donation bitching about Michael Moore.....if that "polarizes" all of you, sorry. But there's two sides to everything!