Clubplanet Nightlife Community

A Nation of Wimps

Guest saintjohn

Guest saintjohn

Interesting article from Psychology Today:

No one doubts that there are significant economic forces pushing parents to invest so heavily in their children's outcome from an early age. But taking all the discomfort, disappointment and even the play out of development, especially while increasing pressure for success, turns out to be misguided by just about 180 degrees. With few challenges all their own, kids are unable to forge their creative adaptations to the normal vicissitudes of life. That not only makes them risk-averse, it makes them psychologically fragile, riddled with anxiety. In the process they're robbed of identity, meaning and a sense of accomplishment, to say nothing of a shot at real happiness. Forget, too, about perseverance, not simply a moral virtue but a necessary life skill. These turn out to be the spreading psychic fault lines of 21st-century youth. Whether we want to or not, we're on our way to creating a nation of wimps.

So, overly-protective parents are destroying society?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20041112-000010.html

Guest Gladius

don't you notice how many people complain about the war on iraq, and how divided this nation is? I don't know if its just me but in other countries when a decision is made by its leader wheather the guy is a total moron or not they stick by him and support...

not this country, you have your people crying about not saying the pledge of alliegence during school, and having "in god we trust" on our currency, honestly if you don't like it get out.... imo

Guest sross

don't you notice how many people complain about the war on iraq, and how divided this nation is? I don't know if its just me but in other countries when a decision is made by its leader wheather the guy is a total moron or not they stick by him and support...

If anything, I'd say Americans are the least critical of their government than most other countries in the West. How else could Bush have won a second election?

Guest Gladius

well being a republican, I voted for Bush after the first term because, I don't think he did so bad, but now it seems like he fell off the face of the planet. You don't hear about anything pertaining to him anymore, and he really messed up with gas prices/war etc. Americans would have probably supported him more if he said we were going after Iraq for oil and dropped our prices to like 99 cent a gallon lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes down as the worst president since the nations existence in future text books rofl.

Guest trancepriest

well being a republican, I voted for Bush after the first term because, I don't think he did so bad, but now it seems like he fell off the face of the planet. You don't hear about anything pertaining to him anymore, and he really messed up with gas prices/war etc. Americans would have probably supported him more if he said we were going after Iraq for oil and dropped our prices to like 99 cent a gallon lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes down as the worst president since the nations existence in future text books rofl.

Exactly... now you see the thing with Bush that i don't like is that he's not a true mass murderer. He's like a little mass murderer. I mean why can't he invade a decent country like Russia or even China... aim high and do something great... I'm talking Genghis Khan type stuff... you know what I mean? Instead we have all these wimpy wars.

Guest jamu

not this country, you have your people crying about not saying the pledge of alliegence during school, and having "in god we trust" on our currency, honestly if you don't like it get out.... imo

Sure follow our fearless leader like a pack of Fascist lemmings. Forget freedom of speech and the right to protest. Great idea. We might as well live in Iran.

Guest trancepriest

Sure follow our fearless leader like a pack of Fascist lemmings. Forget freedom of speech and the right to protest. Great idea. We might as well live in Iran.

American fascism.

Guest jamu

Does that mean we call it a democracy while we allow our goverment to break the law and infringe on our privacy by calling it a response to terrorism?

Guest saintjohn

There are plenty of other threads where you can argue about Bush, Iraq, et cetera. If you don't have something to say about the "Nation of Wimps" article, please shut the fuck up. Did ANY of you actually read it, anyway?

I was just about to say that....how the hell does Bush have to figure into a discussion about the nations kids?

I say it all the time and i'll say it again. Kids these days deserve a good ass whipping. I am now smack in the middle of a city where kids (15) carry around guns and shoot 11 year olds in a so called turf war. WTF??? That kids momma shoulda grabbed him by the neck and shown him a REAL turf war, in their kitchen. THATS where turf starts. AND ENDS. Another story about an 18 year old girl out at Guest House getting wasted on a monday night: their car gets impounded for being illegally parked so they go to the yard on the West Side Highway (think overtown on double dose of crack) on foot, one is so wasted she passes out after they refuse to release the car to her and the other takes off out of fear and gets picked up by some sadist after seen wandering around in a white mini skirt and haltertop. She's raped, strangled and thrown in a dumpster. WTF are you thinking?????

Kids these days are taught to succeed but aren't taght to work for it. Its an age of entitlement. They are told that they deserve to be the best and these frivilous lawsuits and inane debates about what is right and what is wrong don't help.

I totally believe that its a nation of wimps. None of these kids today want to work hard and their parents just encourage it.

Guest Gladius

I was just about to say that....how the hell does Bush have to figure into a discussion about the nations kids?

I say it all the time and i'll say it again. Kids these days deserve a good ass whipping. I am now smack in the middle of a city where kids (15) carry around guns and shoot 11 year olds in a so called turf war. WTF??? That kids momma shoulda grabbed him by the neck and shown him a REAL turf war, in their kitchen. THATS where turf starts. AND ENDS. Another story about an 18 year old girl out at Guest House getting wasted on a monday night: their car gets impounded for being illegally parked so they go to the yard on the West Side Highway (think overtown on double dose of crack) on foot, one is so wasted she passes out after they refuse to release the car to her and the other takes off out of fear and gets picked up by some sadist after seen wandering around in a white mini skirt and haltertop. She's raped, strangled and thrown in a dumpster. WTF are you thinking?????

Kids these days are taught to succeed but aren't taght to work for it. Its an age of entitlement. They are told that they deserve to be the best and these frivilous lawsuits and inane debates about what is right and what is wrong don't help.

I totally believe that its a nation of wimps. None of these kids today want to work hard and their parents just encourage it.

Amen, there are way to many parents these days that let their kids control them its so pathetic. My GF's parents let her little brothers get away with murder I just want to smack the shit out of them sometimes. Ordering 3 meals at a restauraunt if they don't like how it looks etc. If that was me my mom woulda told me to starve if I didn't like how it looks, and if I argued past that, I was getting a face slapping in the car afterwards for embarrasing her.... Italian family's are harsh haha

Guest slamminshaun

Give some of these guys a chance, and they'll rant about Bush in the "Thank God for Casual Fridays" thread...

"Yeah, I bet Bush is out golfing on his casual friday...no WMD's, you know there's no WMD's right? Must be really casual in Lebanon right now, poor kids...Israeli slimeballs...I hope they die, goddam casual fridays...."

Guest trancepriest

Give some of these guys a chance' date=' and they'll rant about Bush in the "Thank God for Casual Fridays" thread...

"Yeah, I bet Bush is out golfing on his casual friday...no WMD's, you know there's no WMD's right? Must be really casual in Lebanon right now, poor kids...Israeli slimeballs...I hope they die, goddam casual fridays...."

[/quote']

I personally think he's a retarded anti-christ which makes him look not that evil... but its really just a ploy to fool us.