Clubplanet Nightlife Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest swirlundergrounder

More Racism In Politics From The Right

Guest swirlundergrounder

Well since SS claims that some politicians from the left is racist how about some racism from the right??

vert.romney.ap.jpg

Massachusetts governor apologizes for 'tar baby' comment

Monday, July 31, 2006; Posted: 9:42 a.m. EDT (13:42 GMT)

Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney is considering a presidential bid in 2008.

BOSTON, Massachusetts (AP) -- Gov. Mitt Romney has apologized for referring to the troubled Big Dig construction project as a "tar baby" during a fundraiser with Iowa Republicans, saying he didn't know anyone would be offended by the term some consider a racial epithet.

In a speech Saturday, Romney, a Republican considering a run for president in 2008, acknowledged he took a big political risk in taking control of the project after a fatal tunnel ceiling collapse, but said inaction would have been even worse.

"The best thing politically would be to stay as far away from that tar baby as I can," he told a crowd of about 100 supporters in Ames, Iowa.

Black leaders were outraged at his use of the term, which dates to the 19th century Uncle Remus stories, referring to a doll made of tar that traps Br'er Rabbit. It has come to be known as a way of describing a sticky mess, and has been used as a derogatory term for a black person.

"Tar baby is a totally inappropriate phrase in the 21st century," said Larry Jones, a black Republican and civil rights activist.

"He thinks he's presidential timber," Jones said. "But all he's shown us is arrogance."

Romney's spokesman, Eric Fehrnstrom, said the governor was describing "a sticky situation."

"He was unaware that some people find the term objectionable and he's sorry if anyone's offended," Fehrnstrom said.

White House spokesman Tony Snow sparked similar criticism in May when he used the term in response to a question about government surveillance.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Guest slamminshaun

Nice try, but tar baby is a synonym for "sticky situation". The guy was naive and had no idea about the other meaning. Considering he was referring to a project and not a person should be your first clue....you almost had one Terry. Do you think Lt. Governor Bustamante was referring to a project when he uttered the N-word?

Actually, you bring up a GREAT point. If this were a Democrat, this wouldn't have made the news. It is SO obvious this guy wasn't referring a person or group of people, yet everyone's running around getting upset about it. But when Hillary Clinton says Ghandi owned a gas station in St. Louis or that black people know what its like to live on a plantation, everyone says "its all in good fun".

Guest swirlundergrounder

Actually' date=' you bring up a GREAT point. If this were a Democrat, this wouldn't have made the news. It is SO obvious this guy wasn't referring a person or group of people, yet everyone's running around getting upset about it. But when Hillary Clinton says Ghandi owned a gas station in St. Louis or that black people know what its like to live on a plantation, everyone says "its all in good fun".

[/quote']becuz everyone likes Hillary Clinton.. :P

Guest coach

Nice try' date=' but tar baby is a synonym for "sticky situation".

[/quote']

Oh please. Even if he didn't know what it meant, all that means is that he needs to kick his speachwriters in the nuts.

However, the point *really* should be that people on both sides of the aisle make slips of the tongue, or say something stupid in the heat of the moment. It is their ongoing policies that they should be judged on.

Guest slamminshaun

Nice try, but tar baby is a synonym for "sticky situation".

Oh please. Even if he didn't know what it meant, all that means is that he needs to kick his speachwriters in the nuts.

However, the point *really* should be that people on both sides of the aisle make slips of the tongue, or say something stupid in the heat of the moment. It is their ongoing policies that they should be judged on.

Using the N-word is ok as long as they support agendas you agree with? Dude, that's very shallow. I suppose Robert Byrd's KKK membership is just a simple slip of the tongue...

Guest coach

Nice try' date=' but tar baby is a synonym for "sticky situation".

[/quote']

Using the N-word is ok as long as they support agendas you agree with? Dude, that's very shallow. I suppose Robert Byrd's KKK membership is just a simple slip of the tongue...

No, damning people for one small mistake is shallow, while they have a long term history of support.

Using the N-word consistently is bad. Using it once is bad, too, but if it was a mistake, and if the person otherwise acts in a non-racist manner, then it is forgivable. KKK membership, BY DEFINITION, cannot be a "slip of the tongue" (look up that colloquialism if you don't know what it means).

Of course, this doesn't mean people cannot change. Lots of great people started out badly and then had a revelation and changed. But, you have to evaluate on an ongoing basis. Were they bad in the distant past, have they still been bad in the recent past, are they still being bad on an ongoing basis? Or, at some point did they reform? And, if so, have they kept up the reformed behavior?

Guest jamu

I agree with Shaun on this one. I read over the news and it does look like he didn't know it had a racial meanting, and it would have been considered a racist comment. Although the right is a bunch of Nazi's hell bent on turning America into the Christian equivilant of an Islamic Totalitarian Government, this is not an example of that. Althought there are many to go around.

Guest sross

Apparently the saying 'calling a spade, a spade' has rascist undertones, unbeknownst to me.

Guest JMT

i remember a while back when some politician used the word "renege" during a press conference and people demanded he resign for making a racist comment. apparently, they never bothered to look the word up. ::)

Guest obby

Well since SS claims that some politicians from the left is racist how about some racism from the right??

vert.romney.ap.jpg

Massachusetts governor apologizes for 'tar baby' comment

Monday, July 31, 2006; Posted: 9:42 a.m. EDT (13:42 GMT)

Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney is considering a presidential bid in 2008.

BOSTON, Massachusetts (AP) -- Gov. Mitt Romney has apologized for referring to the troubled Big Dig construction project as a "tar baby" during a fundraiser with Iowa Republicans, saying he didn't know anyone would be offended by the term some consider a racial epithet.

In a speech Saturday, Romney, a Republican considering a run for president in 2008, acknowledged he took a big political risk in taking control of the project after a fatal tunnel ceiling collapse, but said inaction would have been even worse.

"The best thing politically would be to stay as far away from that tar baby as I can," he told a crowd of about 100 supporters in Ames, Iowa.

Black leaders were outraged at his use of the term, which dates to the 19th century Uncle Remus stories, referring to a doll made of tar that traps Br'er Rabbit. It has come to be known as a way of describing a sticky mess, and has been used as a derogatory term for a black person.

"Tar baby is a totally inappropriate phrase in the 21st century," said Larry Jones, a black Republican and civil rights activist.

"He thinks he's presidential timber," Jones said. "But all he's shown us is arrogance."

Romney's spokesman, Eric Fehrnstrom, said the governor was describing "a sticky situation."

"He was unaware that some people find the term objectionable and he's sorry if anyone's offended," Fehrnstrom said.

White House spokesman Tony Snow sparked similar criticism in May when he used the term in response to a question about government surveillance.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Tar baby? What a punk. That's a fucked up comment.

Guest slamminshaun

Good call, Tres...

John F. Kerry, Massachusetts Senator, was once advised by his staff not to pursue an investigation into the fate of Americans who had never returned from Vietnam. In an article published in the the August 10, 1992 New York Times, journalist Barbara Crossette quotes Kerry: "Everybody on my staff, everybody I knew thought I was crazy, and said, 'Don't do this,' " he recalls. "They said it's a no-win tar baby."

Guest tres-b

Good call' date=' Tres...

John F. Kerry, Massachusetts Senator, was once advised by his staff not to pursue an investigation into the fate of Americans who had never returned from Vietnam. In an article published in the the August 10, 1992 New York Times, journalist Barbara Crossette quotes Kerry: "Everybody on my staff, everybody I knew thought I was crazy, and said, 'Don't do this,' " he recalls. "They said it's a no-win [b']tar baby."

It must be a Mass "thang"...

Guest sross

Given that the saying seems to have been used to describe both something that is a mess and black people, I think we can give him the benefit of the doubt.

Mitt, however, is a definitely a very silly name.