Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Sinclar Interview

CrzyC1414779017

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/entertainment/nightlife/15458114.htm?source=rss&channel=miamiherald_nightlife

Ask the DJ | Bob Sinclarby MICHAEL HAMERSLY

French DJ/producer Bob Sinclar is a master at creating feel-good music that compels you to move your feet. His sound recalls summer vacations, decadence and losing inhibitions, whether the style of his music borrows from reggae, Brit-pop and even gospel, as does his new album Western Dream. Catch him live Saturday night at Mansion on South Beach; 305-532-1525.

Q: Your new album is unbelievably eclectic. Did you start out with that mission?

My mission was to do something different from what's happening on the Euro dance market at the moment, where electro is massive. I am more into black music -- that's why I was in New York in February last year to find something fresh.

I met Gary Pine [lead singer of the legendary reggae group The Wailers] and we did Love Generation, and it was such a sensation in the studio I said to myself that I had to continue in this acoustic and ''hippie'' vibe. So I started to listen to different new stuff like blues, country and reggae and started the album from this point.

Q: How did Love Generation come to be the official FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) World Cup 2006 theme song?

I signed the track and the album over to Ministry of Sound in Germany. They work with FIFA and were looking for a song to synchronize with their mascot ``Goleo.''

They called me to ask me permission -- I found it interesting because the German market is very commercial.

Q: What's your favorite Bob Sinclar track and why?

Love Generation and Give A Lil' Love on the new album, because this is the first time I've composed melodies by myself. So I was really happy to touch the people.

Q: Do you mainly capture the style on your CDs when performing live, or is there a difference in energy?

It's really different to compose an album. I have to be faithful to my style, the ''club sound,'' because the people know me for that, but they want to listen to it at home, too. So I have to find the right balance. I love when the people sing my songs when I play them in clubs. I work hard for that in the studio, looking for the perfect beat and the perfect hook to dance to.

Q: Who has had the most influence on you musically?

I am a big fan of Prince, and am inspired by all types of black music.

Q: What contemporary music can you not get enough of?

Hip-hop, because it's the most creative music from the past 20 years. Today, the producers are the stars I love: Timbaland, Dr. Dre and the Neptunes.

Q: Do you think technological advances have diminished the quality of today's new DJs?

No, not at all -- that's what I thought at the beginning because I am a big fan of vinyl. But technology is cool because the mix becomes more creative.

Q: Any advice for young aspiring DJs?

Look at the dance floor when you play, because you are not here to educate people. Try to bring them into your music and not force them to listen to it. They come in the club to forget real life, dream and have fun with you.

Q: How old were you when you knew you'd be a DJ/producer, and what were the circumstances?

I am 37, and I didn't know when I started at 18 in my room that it was gonna be possible to live off my mix and my music, but I had it inside me. The first time I saw the hip-hop culture in Paris it was in a big club called Bataclan.

They had a big party with Afrika Bambaataa, Cash Money and the Rock Steady Crew. I went mad and the turntable started to become an obsession. I bought 2 MK2 Technics and a bit after I created my home studio in my little room. I started my own label in 1993 and produced artists like Dimitri from Paris, Kid Loco, Salome de Bahia, Bang Bang and many more. My mum is very proud.

Q: What do you love to do in your free time?

I've played tennis for 25 years. I love Agassi and now Roger Federer. At 12, I wanted to be a pro.

Guest Cosmigonon

Oh, man, how I love this quote... 8)

Look at the dance floor when you play, because you are not here to educate people. Try to bring them into your music and not force them to listen to it. They come in the club to forget real life, dream and have fun with you.

Guest lulamishka

I totally agree. :)

Guest Philip

thank you. Dj's are not supposed to alienate the crowd and when people leave - "i guess they just don't get it"