Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Crack any wi-fi in 1 day or less?

Guest endymion

Guest endymion

I was talking to this guy at the Standard last night who was saying that with simple tools you can crack into any wi-fi in a day or less. University instructor in networking who was with us points out a bunch of ways that you could make it really hard, like MAC filtering. Guy points out simple tools like packet sniffers that could give you a MAC to spoof.

He insisted that you can crack into any wi-fi, WEP or not, in 1 day or less. The ones at Starbuck's, the ones at the airport, Miami Beach city wi-fi, anything. Is that true? I'm trying to figure out how far of a stretch that was. I thought that there were still some pretty long encryption keys that would take a lot longer than 24 hours to crack by brute force, even with the slickest hacker tools.

This guy knows what he's talking about as well as me or the university instructor, I don't think that he's full of shit or anything. But I didn't think that it had already become so quick, even for a competent hacker. I just pay for my wi-fi so I don't really care that much except that I don't want my own house or office to be so easy to crack from the parking lot.

WEP can be cracked in 5 minutes. I've seen the video, and I can do it myself with the proper software and hardware.

WPA is another matter. WPA is good enough to stop anyone except for the most determined person.

When I saw the WEP demo, I put us on WPA at the HQ right away.

Guest maru37

WEP is really easy to crack - just not by most normal people. Some security is better than no security.

WPA though is, as Pod said, much more sophisticated and based off of newer encryption standards developed by NIST. If you have the money and are really concerned about security go with WPA. WEP is better than nothing though. It still baffles me why someone would use no security but I guess this is why I go to work everyday.

I've seen some tutorials that shred WPA but it's a little over my head. You need to have a lot of patience to sit through that.

Guest trancepriest

WEP can be cracked in a day... but you have to generate alot of traffic between the router and your card. The lesser the number of packets the longer it takes to crack. Also if the router is a well used one.. like in Starbucks or borders... the traffic generated by other users can enable the crack faster.

Guest james stratus

WEP is easy. Tools are freely available on the web. Doesn't matter anyway as something like 70% of all WiFi connections are wide open with no security.