Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Mayday - Miami's true hiphop band

I don't know about most people on this forum that do listen to hip hop but i am dead tired of all this dirty south crap hip hop that we listen to and what young kids nowadays are growing up with. I know we've discussed this on here before and most of us agree with it.

A coworker of mine is a member of this band. They have some great songs out and a new album that just came out a few days ago. Mixture of rock/hip hop, no dirty south with weird noises in the background. I've been waiting to see the day that we can turn on the radio and actually hear something decent like the old days.

groundhogday_itunes.bigbanner.gif

Groundhog Day Featuring Cee-lo & DJ Craze

6SHLjRykTTo

Taken from their website.

"MAYDAY! believe the hype, with a murderous live show and recent gems featuring Cee-lo Green (#1 charting Gnarls Barkley), Devin the Dude, Killa Kela (Europe's #1 beat boxer) and DJ Craze (6x World Battle Champion) it's easy to see why MAYDAY! is fast moving into the popular consciousness. They've shared the stage with The Roots, Method Man, Red Man, Mos Def, MF Doom, De La Soul and too many others to list. They fit right in, but their sound is different. it's hard hitting, organic future brand of music is posted up somewhere between rock and a hard place, strangely familiar, but brand new."

"MAYDAY! is a two man band consisting of Plex Luthor (producer/keyboardist) with work under the belt for Algorithm, Ecko multi-media, Discovery Channel and various Adult Swim spots) and MC Bernbiz (Miami's hometown hero). In 2004 they released "Quicksand" which became a local classic and caught the attention of up and coming record label, SouthBeat Records, home to platinum producer Jim Jonsin (produced with Jamie Foxx, Pitbull, Trick Daddy). They were offered a recording deal soon after. In early 2006 they released their first commercial vinyl, "Angles", distributed by Counterflow Distribution."

"MAYDAY! just recently shot a video for their first single "Groundhog Day" featuring Cee-lo Green (Gnarls Barkley / Goodie Mob) and the legendary DJ Craze. Within two days of premiering the video on youtube.com, the video achieved over 2 million views. Media giants such as the New York Times, ABC World News Tonight, NBC 6 Evening News and Inside Edition, were the first among many to cover this breakout story. They are currently busy on the road as part of the Storm Tour, a 45 date nationwide tour accompanied by Aceyalone, Wrekonize, Ugly Duckling, Diverse and The Procussions. Their self-titled debut album "MAYDAY!" is slated for release September 26, 2006, and their new single "Groundhog Day" f/ Cee-Lo and DJ Craze is just beginning to catch the airwaves. "

http://www.myspace.com/firstdayofmay

WWW.MAYDAYONLINE.COM

Guest dahzel

these guys definitely look like they'll get big. hip hop needs a different direction and they look like they could be it.

Guest endymion

The track is great, here's the video they're talking about in the ABC News segment:

Uzgt1FuDR-w

Good stuff! Go Craze!

Guest endymion

Here's some more Miami hip hop. This one from a deep house producer who decided he'd rather make money than produce more EDM. This was a totally self-funded independent music video. Outdoor scenes shot on Key Biscayne:

y2onqkUn8Ck

Guest coach

Fuck, now that shit was a good song! Actual relevant lyrics and nice musicality.

Decent video, too. Loved the concept, though there might have been just a smidge overuse of effects.

Is this in stores, yet?

EDIT: The above comments refer to the Mayday video.

Guest coach

Is this in stores, yet?

Both the Mayday album and the Nyce track are in iTunes.

I checked the website and it does say it is available in stores now. Is Southbeat their own label?

Also, could brasiliandrunk or one of the other flash folks give them a holler to help with thier site. Intro, autoplay music, and the front page was like 6+ meg. Argh.

Guest endymion

I checked the website and it does say it is available in stores now. Is Southbeat their own label?

Yes, Southbeat is one of the many small, independent labels in Miami Beach. If you're not into iTunes then you might try the Specs on the beach to find a CD.

Guest coach

Yes, Southbeat is one of the many small, independent labels in Miami Beach. If you're not into iTunes then you might try the Specs on the beach to find a CD.

Are you involved in the company?

Guest endymion

Are you involved in the company?

Not directly. My wife and I have an entertainment law firm in South Beach. We handle a lot of hip hop. Some of it quite good.

Is this in stores, yet?

Both the Mayday album and the Nyce track are in iTunes.

i checked on amazon.com and this was what i got...

logo-pop-up.gif

B000HEZBZI.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V41399154_.jpg

Track Listings

1. Mission Statement

2. 4X4

3. In The Vip (Featuring Killa Kela)

4. Groundhog Day (Featuring Cee-Lo Green & Dj Craze)

5. Chasing Ghosts

6. Angles

7. The Customer Is Always Right

8. Beef

9. Macro/Micro

10. Nothin (Featuring Devin The Dude)

11. Too Many Notes

12. Post Mortem

13. Flare Gun

14. Watchin Me

http://www.amazon.com/Mayday/dp/B000HEZBZI/sr=1-1/qid=1159907478/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8778220-6925511?ie=UTF8&s=music