Clubplanet Nightlife Community

I got a Mac!!

So my dear old Dell laptop finally died. RIP Lappy, 1999-2006. At 12:02am i dropped it when i went to hug my rooommate after he wished me a happy birthday. I really did get my money's worth though but its time for an upgrade.

Decided on the Black MacBook, 2.0GHz, 1GB Ram, 100GB HD....YAY! 2-3 day shipping cause i have no patience. I would have gotten it at the store but i upgraded the memory and hard drive.

I can't wait till it comes in!!!

Now i just have to learn how to use a Mac. How many of you guys have them? Did you buy them for any specific reason? Love vs. Hate em?

Yes i know i've told a couple of you but i'm just so excited.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my dear old Dell laptop finally died. RIP Lappy, 1999-2006. At 12:02am i dropped it when i went to hug my rooommate after he wished me a happy birthday. I really did get my money's worth though but its time for an upgrade.

Decided on the Black MacBook, 2.0GHz, 1GB Ram, 100GB HD....YAY! 2-3 day shipping cause i have no patience. I would have gotten it at the store but i upgraded the memory and hard drive.

Now i just have to learn how to use a Mac. How many of you guys have them? Did you buy them for any specific reason? Love vs. Hate em?

when u receive it and have played around w/ it - let me know what u think of it vs. your pc laptop...im soon to be in the market for a new computer n deciding on either one

when u receive it and have played around w/ it - let me know what u think of it vs. your pc laptop...im soon to be in the market for a new computer n deciding on either one

Will do!

Oh and YES Ramon, i am now as cool as James and Nic. So there. ;D

Guest endymion

Congratulations! I'm a computer scientist and I love Macs. All of my startup businesses, including CoolJunkie, have used Macs exclusively, for everybody. I run a software development company and a law firm right now with them and I love them.

The reason is that they just work. You don't have to think about it. When you get your Mac you'll just pull it out of the box and it will be ready to go. Not much to learn. More that CPU speed or hard drive capacity or any other detail, human usability has been the big progress that computers have made in the last decade, and you see it reflected first in Macs. They rock because you just never have to think about them.

The keyboard and the mouse will feel a little funny at first but not for long. If you need any help discovering any of the secret magic key combinations or anything else just post a message here and an army of Mac nerds will be happy to help.

Guest swirlundergrounder

I have 2 Macs. I have a dual g4 desktop and an iBook. both are maxed out as far as specs go.

I love them. I was a PC user before being introduced to the world of Apple computers 2 years ago.

I love mine especially for multimedia purposes.

PC's are fine so long as you know how to tweek them.

I for one don't have the time to tweek a PC to get it to work the way I want it to. Nor do I have the paitence or the knowledge to.

But someone brought up a good point to me the other day about people who tweek their PC's. And that is 'why are is the side panel of their computers always open?...LOL

Apple computers are not problem free. I just find that I have a quarter of the problems that I did with a PC...

I'd rather spend an hour using my computer to make it do things for me than spend an hour doing things for my computer. So hence me buying a mac.... :D

Guest swirlundergrounder

Now i just have to learn how to use a Mac.

You'll know in less than an hour how to use it...You won't have to install this or update that.. or take this and that apart in order to get it to run..

Guest endymion

You won't have to install this or update that.. or take this and that apart in order to get it to run..

And that is exactly why Macs rock. I haven't used the word "driver" since I switched five years ago.

Guest Adam Singer

But someone brought up a good point to me the other day about people who tweek their PC's. And that is 'why are is the side panel of their computers always open?...LOL

yeah that's because your friends clearly don't know what they are doing with building their own PCs

ive built for at least 10 of my friends, and not a SINGLE one of them has problems...ask vitaliy how many times he's had to open his PC to fix something - never !

the only problems people have on a properly built PC are self-inflicted...its the same with macs, its probably not the hardware but the end-user

a side note - mac or PC you should be opening your case once a month to clean the dust out...trust me even in a clean room your PC will get some dust in it - even with the 'dust proof cases' you still get dust, it's inevitable

Guest endymion

ive built for at least 10 of my friends, and not a SINGLE one of them has problems...ask vitaliy how many times he's had to open his PC to fix something - never !

Even when a PC is working perfectly, it isn't working as well as a Mac.

When you use a PC, when you're sitting in front of it your time is divided between getting the PC to work right, and your actual work that you're trying to accomplish.

When you use a Mac, your time spent in front of it goes all into whatever you're trying to accomplish.

And switching from an old Mac to a new one, or using five at once at random, is so smooth. With a PC you feel chained to one box because it's just such a hassle to set up a new one.

Guest Adam Singer

When you use a PC, when you're sitting in front of it your time is divided between getting the PC to work right, and your actual work that you're trying to accomplish.

wait, let me check...nope my PC works fine, havent spent a second other than using it to write today

you're so far off the mark with this statement it's rediculous!

it's so fashionable for mac users to hate on PC's...

Guest swirlundergrounder

wait, let me check...nope my PC works fine, havent spent a second other than using it to write today

you're so far off the mark with this statement it's rediculous!

it's so fashionable for mac users to hate on PC's...

But you see Adam the average end user (who doesn't tweek and geek their computers) will have an easier time working on a mac than on a PC. Hands down!!

You built your friends 10 PCs that don't have problems. I do believe that. You know what you are doing.

But if you take 200 average Joes and give 100 of them PCs and 100 of them macs to work on for 1 year, I gaurantee you the group of 100 average Joe's using a PC will have more problems and complaints and be less productive than the group using Apple computers.

No one can argue with that! 8)

Guest endymion

It isn't about 'hating' on PCs. I'm a professional software developer, a Microsoft Certified Solution Developer, I've developed commercial Windows applications, etc, etc. I don't hate PCs. I recognize that Macs are more sophisticated human interface devices.

The average-Joe-finds-a-Mac-simpler-to-use argument is real. Even the computer-scientists-find-Macs-simpler-to-use argument is real. Musicians definitely find Macs simpler to use. Video people, photographers, all of those things are far, far simpler to deal with on a Mac.

It's about the culture that they come from and why they exist. The PC evolved out of the micro business computer and that's what it is. Each company has its own ideas for how its users should deal with "desktop" functions, the common stuff like email, address book and calendar functions. The standard in the business world is to leave stuff like that up to the individual company that buys the PCs, so Windows is extremely agnostic and weak on personal desktop features. It offers no leadership and no coherent model for keeping track of all of your personal data and moving it around from one computer to another.

Macs were conceived originally as personal computers, not business computers. Common user functionality like email, addresses, calendars, and now web browsing, photo management, and music management, are built directly into the product. Not left as an exercise to the buyer. You buy a Mac, it does those things. You buy a PC, it has the potential of being capable of doing those things if you go and figure out how you want to do it. Outlook Express or Outlook or Eudora for mail? Outlook for calendars or the crap that came with my PDA? I have to pay how much for Adobe Elements to organize photos? And don't forget this checklist of stuff you have to manually move over when you get a new PC. Those things are part of the deal with a Mac. Especially if you pay for .Mac but even without it.

Guest Adam Singer

this argument could never end, but if i stop you guys are gonna say 'haha you have nothing left to say'

we've entered the endless loop ;)

im going to enjoy my day - will continue this discusion later

Guest swirlundergrounder

It isn't about 'hating' on PCs. I'm a professional software developer, a Microsoft Certified Solution Developer, I've developed commercial Windows applications, etc, etc. I don't hate PCs. I recognize that Macs are more sophisticated human interface devices.

The average-Joe-finds-a-Mac-simpler-to-use argument is real. Even the computer-scientists-find-Macs-simpler-to-use argument is real. Musicians definitely find Macs simpler to use. Video people, photographers, all of those things are far, far simpler to deal with on a Mac.

It's about the culture that they come from and why they exist. The PC evolved out of the micro business computer and that's what it is. Each company has its own ideas for how its users should deal with "desktop" functions, the common stuff like email, address book and calendar functions. The standard in the business world is to leave stuff like that up to the individual company that buys the PCs, so Windows is extremely agnostic and weak on personal desktop features. It offers no leadership and no coherent model for keeping track of all of your personal data and moving it around from one computer to another.

Macs were conceived originally as personal computers, not business computers. Common user functionality like email, addresses, calendars, and now web browsing, photo management, and music management, are built directly into the product. Not left as an exercise to the buyer. You buy a Mac, it does those things. You buy a PC, it has the potential of being capable of doing those things if you go and figure out how you want to do it. Outlook Express or Outlook or Eudora for mail? Outlook for calendars or the crap that came with my PDA? I have to pay how much for Adobe Elements to organize photos? And don't forget this checklist of stuff you have to manually move over when you get a new PC. Those things are part of the deal with a Mac. Especially if you pay for .Mac but even without it.

So that's why they call you TECHJUNKIE!!

Some PC user got owned.....

;D

Guest dahzel

a side note - mac or PC you should be opening your case once a month to clean the dust out...trust me even in a clean room your PC will get some dust in it - even with the 'dust proof cases' you still get dust, it's inevitable

what should be used to clean the inside?

Guest endymion

this argument could never end, but if i stop you guys are gonna say 'haha you have nothing left to say'

It isn't an argument. Just try a Mac for a while. I try everything. GNOME, KDE, BeOS, NeXT, Vista, whatever. If you still like PCs better after you use a Mac for a few weeks then that's your call. But that's very unlikely.

Guest Adam Singer

duster - and if you've never cleaned it i would take it to an open room, you're going to create a dust-storm

Guest dahzel

duster - and if you've never cleaned it i would take it to an open room, you're going to create a dust-storm

thanks adam. i got a sony vaio and live in a house w/ 4 cats and roommates who don't even know what a duster is so it WILL be bad i'm sure.