Clubplanet Nightlife Community

I got a Mac!!

Guest Adam Singer

But someone brought up a good point to me the other day about people who tweek their PC's. And that is 'why are is the side panel of their computers always open?...LOL

a side note - mac or PC you should be opening your case once a month to clean the dust out...trust me even in a clean room your PC will get some dust in it - even with the 'dust proof cases' you still get dust, it's inevitable

what should be used to clean the inside?

duster - and if you've never cleaned it i would take it to an open room, you're going to create a dust-storm

thanks adam. i got a sony vaio and live in a house w/ 4 cats and roommates who don't even know what a duster is so it WILL be bad i'm sure.

its just compressed air, go to office depot and get some

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But someone brought up a good point to me the other day about people who tweek their PC's. And that is 'why are is the side panel of their computers always open?...LOL

a side note - mac or PC you should be opening your case once a month to clean the dust out...trust me even in a clean room your PC will get some dust in it - even with the 'dust proof cases' you still get dust, it's inevitable

duster - and if you've never cleaned it i would take it to an open room, you're going to create a dust-storm

thanks adam. i got a sony vaio and live in a house w/ 4 cats and roommates who don't even know what a duster is so it WILL be bad i'm sure.

just dont inhale it

Guest swirlundergrounder

just dont inhale it

Do it outside also. But I've heard mixed feelings about using compressed air to clean the inside of your computer. You better know what you are doing. If you don't that dust can get into critical components that may do more harm than good.

What you can do it get a small vacuum and take an artist paint brush and loosen up the dust so that it gets in the air and then vacuum it up right when it comes off the components. Just don't vacuum up anything....lol

Guest lulamishka

So my dear old Dell laptop finally died. RIP Lappy, 1999-2006. At 12:02am i dropped it when i went to hug my rooommate after he wished me a happy birthday. I really did get my money's worth though but its time for an upgrade.

Decided on the Black MacBook, 2.0GHz, 1GB Ram, 100GB HD....YAY! 2-3 day shipping cause i have no patience. I would have gotten it at the store but i upgraded the memory and hard drive.

I can't wait till it comes in!!!

Now i just have to learn how to use a Mac. How many of you guys have them? Did you buy them for any specific reason? Love vs. Hate em?

Yes i know i've told a couple of you but i'm just so excited.

Congrats Jackie!

I made the switch from PC to Mac last December and I don't regret it! I'll go ahead and say that the first month was kinda frustrating with the transition, but I had Ramon and my Mac-crazy coworker to help me thru it. :)

Along with the rest of the Mac people on CJ, I'm here anytime ya need help, as well! ;)

Guest coach

this argument could never end, but if i stop you guys are gonna say 'haha you have nothing left to say'

It isn't an argument. Just try a Mac for a while. I try everything. GNOME, KDE, BeOS, NeXT, Vista, whatever. If you still like PCs better after you use a Mac for a few weeks then that's your call. But that's very unlikely.

I use both. I spend MUCH more time fighting with the Mac to get it to do what I want than with the PC.

Guest coach

You won't have to install this or update that.. or take this and that apart in order to get it to run..

And that is exactly why Macs rock.

I'm sorry, but this is just a nonsense statement. If this is true, why am I always getting these little popups on the Mac that "such-and-so program needs to be updated, please input your password and download this jillion meg file"?

Guest pod

If you're on broadband, it doesn't take long to download an OS update on a Mac.

That's one thing I noticed though about OS X. When it gets updated, it's major. It's not like Windows where there's all these tiny updates, just one big heap of an update every few months, enough to change it a point, i.e. from 10.4.7 to 10.4.8.

Then when it's a major point, i.e. from 10.4 to 10.5 it's usually worth the $100 or so to go and get it.

Guest swirlundergrounder

You won't have to install this or update that.. or take this and that apart in order to get it to run..

And that is exactly why Macs rock.

I'm sorry, but this is just a nonsense statement. If this is true, why am I always getting these little popups on the Mac that "such-and-so program needs to be updated, please input your password and download this jillion meg file"?

I get those updates so little that I hardly notice them..

it's better than getting those pop ups that say you have a virus or your computer may be at risk.. When it's not..

Guest endymion

When I got up this morning my girl was having problems sending email. Bellsouth blocks port 25 so that you can't use external email servers and they force to you use mail.bellsouth.net, which is down today. No worries it will probably work from the office.

We get to the office, flip open her powerbook, and in about a second I hear the 'whhhooooooshhh....' sound of outgoing email. Little powerbook just goes 'oh look there's my wifi' and tries each mail server again and hey look there's one that works, and whooosh, mail goes out. I had no part in any of it, it just worked. The coffee has barely hit my brain still, I can't be expected to think yet, but the little Mac just handles the details for you. Good luck having such a smooth morning if you use Outlook.

I [heart] Macs.

Guest swirlundergrounder

When I got up this morning my girl was having problems sending email. Bellsouth blocks port 25 so that you can't use external email servers and they force to you use mail.bellsouth.net, which is down today. No worries it will probably work from the office.

We get to the office, flip open her powerbook, and in about a second I hear the 'whhhooooooshhh....' sound of outgoing email. Little powerbook just goes 'oh look there's my wifi' and tries each mail server again and hey look there's one that works, and whooosh, mail goes out. I had no part in any of it, it just worked. The coffee has barely hit my brain still, I can't be expected to think yet, but the little Mac just handles the details for you. Good luck having such a smooth morning if you use Outlook.

I [heart] Macs.

Outlook is horrid......

Guest pod

The Magic 8-Ball says "Outlook Not So Good".

Damn things are always right.

Outlook is crap. I tell all PC users to use Thunderbird.

Guest coach

I [heart] Macs.

Whoopeedoo, my PC does that. Except I turn off all automatic services. But, if I didn't, it would do that.

Guest endymion

Whoopeedoo, my PC does that. Except I turn off all automatic services. But, if I didn't, it would do that.

Why would you leave your automatic features disabled if they worked when you needed them to work?

I suspect you leave them off because you don't trust them, which is why I left stuff like that off when I used to use PCs. Macs come out of the box in a full-auto configuration that just works, so I leave it there.

Have you seen the flash memory boot feature that's coming soon? One of the purposes of the iPod Nano was to drive down flash memory prices. Apple is using that lowered price on flash memory to build a few gigs of flash into MacBooks and MacBook Pros so that they will boot instantly like an iPod Nano. They'll reboot in a second or two.

Dell, Gateway, IBM, HP and Toshiba might someday work with Microsoft to develop a unified standard for flash-booting a PC, what, some time around 2012? 2014? I'm expecting to have a flash booting MacBook in my hands by summer. Remember how long it took for Windows PCs to be able to automatically shut themselves off when you shut down? And half of the PCs out there still won't do it? Muahahaha...

Guest coach

Why would you leave your automatic features disabled if they worked when you needed them to work?

I like to have more control over what my computer does. It's not that I don't trust them, it is that they use resources, and may do so when I find it inconvenient. This is one of the things I find most annoying about Macs, that they try to "simplify" your life by doing stuff for you. While, supposedly, this may help folks who are less familiar with computers, it is not always good for the power-user, and sometimes, even for the newbies, it causes more confusion than it prevents.

Often, while I am working on the Mac, the "automatic" update screen will pop up and want me to DL 50 meg+ worth of stuff, install it, and restart. (Also, how do they have the audacity to call it automatic if I am required to be there and input my password?)

But, like I've always said, variety is good. Personally, I still hanker for the days of the Commodore. I wish we had MORE varieties of OS, not less. Though, creating better interoperability would be a good thing.

The thing that really annoys me is the pompousness of the Mac folks, when, really, they have no idea what they are talking about. Both systems have their benefits and drawbacks. Personally, I find the PC to be more to my liking, but others may not.

Guest pod

On a Mac, you can turn off the password prompt for an install of an update.

Frankly, that is what I call good security. It would be a trivial issue to have something malicious masquerade as an update. With the password, it makes it that much more difficult to do so.

In regards to simplicity? That's a good thing for the bulk of the population. They don't know or care about things like memory allocation, hard drive performance, stray processes, etc.

With OS X though, you can reveal and manipulate all of those, especially from the command line. So in essence, you can know and run all that stuff manually. OS X is probably the best thing Apple ever did. OS 9 and prior were garbage in my book, but they finally did something right with X. With OS X, you can be as hackerish, or as simple as you want. Windows tends to do this too, but the flaw with Windows is that there's a lot of stuff that's 'allowed' for Joe User to do, leading to problems.

Guest pod

That's one thing though, I'm not in favor of the pomp. If Apple really wants to make inroads with Joe User, they can't have their evangelists talking down to them. I've said it time and time again to a lot of people, you can't insult your potential audience, be it for computers, movies, or music even.

Guest trancepriest

That's one thing though, I'm not in favor of the pomp. If Apple really wants to make inroads with Joe User, they can't have their evangelists talking down to them. I've said it time and time again to a lot of people, you can't insult your potential audience, be it for computers, movies, or music even.

That's exactly what makes them buy a Mac... talking down to them. The pompous Mac enthusiast.