Clubplanet Nightlife Community

New Merom MacBook Pros!! It's CHRISTMAS!! W0h000!!!

Guest endymion

Guest pod

Not really. It's 17" and lightweight.

That sounds kind of funny.

I'd say though that the 17" model is great for people who are going from point A to B to work, i.e. do some work at home, and do some work at the office.

If you're working on the go, 17" is a little big.

Guest endymion

The resolution on the new 15s are what the res on the 17s used to be. Just more compact now. Also much brighter. Bigger drives, higher memory capacity, Core 2 Duo, improved keyboard backlight. All kinds of improvements to all kinds of things. No wonder it took so long to come out.

I just ordered mine. 15", 2.33 GHz, 3 GB

This thing is going to kick some major Ableton bootay.

Guest trancepriest

aren't the 17 in kinda big for people always on the go tho?

Yes they are. I have one now.. its really terrible.... hate the damn thing. I usually have it tethered to my video camera when shooting... and i have to hold the damn thing in my hand most of the time. Wish I had the older 12 inchers. Its not really the weight thats an annoyance... its the cumbersome handheld aspect ratio.

Guest LeVeL

a MacBook laptop is about the only thing I would buy from Apple..I been certaintly considering it as a Christmas Gift for myself but as far as Desktops are concerned, I will stick with a PC.

Guest trancepriest

a MacBook laptop is about the only thing I would buy from Apple..I been certaintly considering it as a Christmas Gift for myself but as far as Desktops are concerned' date=' I will stick with a PC.

[/quote']

Why not stick with a PC laptop too?

Guest LeVeL

a MacBook laptop is about the only thing I would buy from Apple..I been certaintly considering it as a Christmas Gift for myself but as far as Desktops are concerned, I will stick with a PC.

I like the Operating System and Applications that come with the Laptop..it has a lot of versatility and I love working with different applications and operating systems. I been wanting to work more with Macs eventhough I work with Macs at work all the time...just would like to make the transition completely without just making the move to Mac's. I like thwe ability to have Windows too.

Guest swirlundergrounder

He can. He can boot XP on the Mac Book if he wanted to..

Why he would want to do that I don't know... :P

Guest endymion

I ordered Parallels today with my new one so that I can run Ubuntu test Apache servers in a bunch of different configurations for my web development, and I guess I'll also stick Vista on it since I have a license, just for MSIE browser testing.

I have VMWare and I never ever use it. It works perfectly, but even when it's working perfectly it's running Windows, so that's useless. The only thing that VMWare is good for is reminding me how irritating and frustrating it is to use Windows. It's operating system catharsis.

Guest trancepriest

I was just fucking with him. Macs are PCs now... no need for anyone to stick to a XP/linux only system. Makes no sense whatsoever. High end Macs are even cheaper than Windows only systems. The decision to go with Sony, Dell, HP is one bordering on retardation.

Guest endymion

The decision to go with Sony, Dell, HP is one bordering on retardation.

Other Core 2 Duo notebooks were available months ago, so there is a trade off. Apple clearly spent a lot of time polishing a lot of new improvements rather than just dropping hardware on the market as soon as new chips were available. I'm very happy to wait a couple of months for a really solid system, but other people would rather have something rougher, sooner.

There are some really really cheap used Core 2 Duo notebooks from PC manufacturers on eBay already too, so that's a factor. It will be January before you can get a used 2.3 GHz MacBook Pro on eBay for a discount.

Guest LeVeL

Exactly

Guest endymion

Why not 17"? I love my 17" Toshiba. 7 pounds of pure power.

Waaaaaaay too big, the one that Nick uses at Track is just too huge. I use a 12" powerbook right now and I'd get another one if they still sold them that small. Rollerblading down Lincoln with a 17" laptop in my backpack wouldn't be fun.

I used to be a screen real estate addict, unable to function professionally with a computer unless I had at least two monitors that were at least 19". Since Expose came out all I've ever needed was 12", even for Ableton, Photoshop, Final Cut. I carry the thing around all the time so I want smaller, not bigger. I would really really really go for a micro notebook with about an 11" screen.

Having the same screen resolution as the first wave of 17" powerbooks in a 15" will be pretty awfully cool though. I'm so down with that. I got an AirTunes unit too.

And I finally have a use for a video iPod. Apple made all of the videos from the WWDC available to developers through iTunes for free, and you can put them into a video iPod. 1GB video clips. I hereby declare my 12" powerbook a "true video iPod" and I'm going to retire it to a peaceful life next to my television, playing iTunes and FrontRow.

Guest pod

What I'm looking for now is for display tech to advance in per-inch resolution...i.e. I would love to have a 15" display that shows things at 300 PPI. That would mean the display would have to have 4500 pixels across.

IBM made a 22" panel a few years ago with 200 DPI pixel density, targeted at the medical field.

Guest coach

Why not 17"? I love my 17" Toshiba. 7 pounds of pure power.

Waaaaaaay too big, the one that Nick uses at Track is just too huge. I use a 12" powerbook right now and I'd get another one if they still sold them that small.

I would really really really go for a micro notebook with about an 11" screen.

Oh. For some reason, I thought you were getting the 15 incher, but not the 17". I would also like to have a micro-laptop. I *almost* bought 2 when I got this one, but I just couldn't justify that kind of outlay.

Guest endymion

Oh. For some reason, I thought you were getting the 15 incher, but not the 17".

Yeah, I am. I'm getting the 2.3 GHz 15". I might also get a 13" MacBook for carrying around, I'll see how much of a pain the 15" is. My 12" is just so easy to walk/skate around with, I'm not thrilled about going bigger.

This seems to obviously be moving toward a point where I'll have an iPhone in my pocket with all of my stuff on it, that I plug into a monitor and operate with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse once I get somewhere. Until they discontinued the 12" powerbook that's basically what I had, although it was an awfully big smart phone. When I see people with those tiny little Sony laptops in airports I get jealous.

Oh hey, speaking of the multi-touch interface thread from last week: a new feature in the new MacBook Pros that came out today is two-finger right-clicking. Tap with one finger, it's a normal click. Tap with two fingers, it's a control-click. So cool.

before my last toshiba laptop went into retirement i always had it with me in my company truck when i worked in orlando for over a year, i believe it was either a 13in or 15in, and ive always thought it was a bit large and heavy for me to transport in the truck, but in my line of work, if you have a laptop on the go it makes your life much much easier.

so in those terms i thought the 17in for what i do would be overkill and way too big.

Guest coach

before my last toshiba laptop went into retirement i always had it with me in my company truck when i worked in orlando for over a year, i believe it was either a 13in or 15in, and ive always thought it was a bit large and heavy for me to transport in the truck, but in my line of work, if you have a laptop on the go it makes your life much much easier.

so in those terms i thought the 17in for what i do would be overkill and way too big.

Check the new generation of coreduo Tosh's. They are much lighter.

Guest endymion

Yeah, but they're crippled. They can't run OSX. Only Windows. Why spend all of that money on a crippled computer when you can spend about the same and run OSX?

Guest coach

Yeah, but they're crippled. They can't run OSX. Only Windows. Why spend all of that money on a crippled computer when you can spend about the same and run OSX?

Well, I'd rather have a computer that I control than one that does whatever it wants. But that's just me.