Clubplanet Nightlife Community

UK to be World's first "green" economy

Guest slamminshaun

Guest web_norah

--what travesty, isn't it? .....very forward thinking like driving 8 cilinder monsters on the road ....that is great for the environment!!

and conserving energy....right?

here in the UK you dont see pieces of shit cars on the road.....you get TAXED for polluting the air and the environment driving cars belonging in a junkyard.

Guest pod

Government mandated shit like this never works. You can't force people, at their own expense, to do stuff like this. The government over their better take some of the gobs of tax money they extort out of you guys, and help you all become green.

It's like the whole switchover to digital TV over here. It went nowhere until the Feds offered to pony up the money for anyone who needs a converter box.

Guest coach

I don't understand what's wrong with this. Seems like there are worse goals to have than reduction of pollution.

Guest pod

What's wrong with it is the government isn't willing to do their part in getting people to do this. Like I said, steer some of the massive taxes they collect into helping people do this.

Guest coach

Um, actually, they are. Check the story again. Besides, it's not like the "government" is free money. To pay for everyone to upgrade their house, they would either have to raise taxes or move money from some other program.

The stupid thing is that people are so short-sighted. All of these measures will save homeowners money in the long run. People may need a hand to afford the upgrades in the short term, and the government can help with that by offering low-interest loans and loans to people who could not otherwise get them. But to decry a program to improve energy efficiency is just being penny wise and pound foolish. This is especially true for Shaun, since he is always claiming how efficient his home is, and therefore how much extra it cost up front.

Guest slamminshaun

It's one thing to give incentives, but to levy penalties to those who don't? You're right Coach, I did pay extra for my home because of its efficiency rating, but that was MY choice.

Guest swirlundergrounder

I don't understand what's wrong with this. Seems like there are worse goals to have than reduction of pollution.

Really like what? I think polluting is great for everyone. I want to leave a trashed world for my kid to grow up in...

I don't give a shit anymore...

Guest slamminshaun

Really like what? I think polluting is great for everyone. I want to leave a trashed world for my kid to grow up in...

It's emotional psychobabble like this that makes enviro-wackos impossible to talk to. Read closely to what I'm about to say...government does not have the right to take your money because you decided not to remodel your house! Can't you have pollution reduction goals without confiscating people's money? That's what this article was about. The article was not about whether trashing the planet is good for our children or any other emotional diaharrea, so quit trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Guest coach

It's emotional psychobabble like this that makes enviro-wackos impossible to talk to. Read closely to what I'm about to say...government does not have the right to take your money because you decided not to remodel your house!

And, this is what makes right-wing, short-sighted wackos so hard to talk to. Of COURSE the gov't has the right to take your money if you decide not to remodel your house. They always have. Ever heard of building codes? Those can change, and you can be forced to bring your house up to code. Even in America this is true. In Europe, where they have a longer view of things nowadays, it is even more true. Now you may not agree with this law, but it IS law.

Guest JMT

goverments here only make an owner perform code upgrades if they are doing constuction to a building that requires a permit. if you are just sitting in your house minding your own business, nothing will ever happen.

Guest pod

And, this is what makes right-wing, short-sighted wackos so hard to talk to. Of COURSE the gov't has the right to take your money if you decide not to remodel your house.

Really? When did we vote on this?

Guest coach

And, this is what makes right-wing, short-sighted wackos so hard to talk to. Of COURSE the gov't has the right to take your money if you decide not to remodel your house.

That was before you were born. Or before you were able to vote. Not that it's relevant. We all have to obey a lot of laws we didn't vote on.

Guest yume

Maybe we should stop fighting pointless wars. UK as well. That would sure save some money ($300 BILLION) for meaningful programs. :-\

Guest pod

Not if people were more politically active, and in the sense of reducing government, not expanding it. The problem with activist groups these days is that they seek regulation after regulation, not repealing or utilizing what was already passed years ago.

Guest coach

The main problem is that most regulations enacted in the past were unable to predict what would happen in the future. Either through short-sightedness or just because predicting the future is nearly impossible. So, as new technologies, economic realities, and social situations arise, those regulations need to be updated.

Guest Miss_Digital

Maybe we should stop fighting pointless wars. UK as well. That would sure save some money ($300 BILLION) for meaningful programs. :-\

agreed

Guest swirlundergrounder

It's emotional psychobabble like this that makes enviro-wackos impossible to talk to.

STFU Shaun... Right after President Bush's State OF The Union Address in January you immediately posted a thread about how Stupid you thought all of President Bush's ideas were.

The tone of your entire post that consisted of at least 2 full paragraphs had the same contradictoary tone as my statemenbt above.

So if my statement above is classified by you as 'emotional psychobabble' thne your post about President Bush being an idiot after his SOTU Address should be classified as an 'emotional breakdown'...

Guest swirlundergrounder

It's emotional psychobabble like this that makes enviro-wackos impossible to talk to. Read closely to what I'm about to say...government does not have the right to take your money because you decided not to remodel your house!

And, this is what makes right-wing, short-sighted wackos so hard to talk to. Of COURSE the gov't has the right to take your money if you decide not to remodel your house. They always have. Ever heard of building codes? Those can change, and you can be forced to bring your house up to code. Even in America this is true. In Europe, where they have a longer view of things nowadays, it is even more true. Now you may not agree with this law, but it IS law.

The government takes you fuckin' money anyways wheather you remodel you house or not..

It's called insane property taxes!

Guest slamminshaun

That was before you were born. Or before you were able to vote. Not that it's relevant. We all have to obey a lot of laws we didn't vote on.

I thought left-wingers for the poor? The only people this hurts are those who can't afford to remodel their homes. It isn't short-sighted, it's a reality!

The working poor are typically the ones whose homes do not meet code because they live in lower-quality homes. Where does a working-class person get the money for solar panels and windmills? They can barely afford to make the mortgage as it is.

Why do you think Terry didn't buy a hybrid? Because he couldn't afford it. That's what he said right? What if all of a sudden with almost no warning, the government required everyone to drive a hybrid? You'd be for that? Where do poor people get the money dude? Sure, they're driving old beaters that pump out more CO2 then this thread is, but where do they get the money to upgrade????

Let me guess, let government pick up the tab and slap a tax on people like me! And I'm the one who's short-sighted....

Guest coach

Hellooooooo.... You were the one that just a few posts above said that government incentives were a good idea. I agree. Now you are contradicting that?

The article was fairly obviously biased, but it did include this info:

"Householders would be given access to 'hassle-free' renovation services to improve the energy efficiency of their homes. They would be able to 'buy now, pay later' for green improvements as their fuel bills decreased." So, the government IS helping out.

I thought this was also interesting:

"A panel will advise ministers on carbon targets every five years. If they miss the figure, future governments will face court action."

The reason I say right-wingers are short-sighted on this issue is because a non-green economy costs YOU more money now and will cost you WAY more money in the future. Upgrading everything may cost a bit in the short-term, 5-10 years, but will everyone a lot of money in the long term.

Guest slamminshaun

Hellooooooo.... You were the one that just a few posts above said that government incentives were a good idea. I agree. Now you are contradicting that?

A tax break for those who abide by the rules is not the same thing as slapping an extra tax on me for those who don't. Incentives, yes....penalties, no. Apples and oranges.