Clubplanet Nightlife Community

"Interesting" Number

Guest coach

Guest coach

Hey! Here's a question for you all. What is the biggest killer of Americans? And no, it is no longer Heart Disease. You will NOT believe the answer, but I'll let you guess for a while.

Guest lyrik

ANNNNNNNNNND the answer iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis...

Medical Mistakes in the healthcare industry..........tell em what he's won Johnny!

Guest coach

heart disease

Heh, check my opening comment. Heart disease did indeed used to be the leading cause of death for Americans, with cancer being second. However, the current leading cause of death is doctors.

Guest lulamishka

Well, that's why they say doctors PRACTICE medicine. They're not gods.

So then what, we're not supposed to go to doctors anymore 'cause chances are their mistakes will kill us more than anything else?

Guest coach

Medical Mistakes in the healthcare industry..........tell em what he's won Johnny!

Nice job! How did you know?

Guest coach

So then what, we're not supposed to go to doctors anymore 'cause chances are their mistakes will kill us more than anything else?

That actually seems a reasonable choice, and one that I have practiced for many years. However, it seems to me that this issue is larger than any one person can handle.

Until something serious is done to curb this, the best thing you can do is be armed with knowledge. Understand that your doctor may not know what he is talking about or may be misinformed, or more likely is just overwhelmed by the number of patients he or she has to deal with in a day. Question everything they tell you, even if they state it in that haughty way that they have that is intended to make you feel like an idiot. Do your own research, if they prescribe any drugs or other procedures. If you go in for surgery, investigate all of the personnel that will be working on you to see if they have any past history of lawsuits or anything untoward. This is a serious situation and one that I consider completely out of hand.

Guest lyrik

Nice job! How did you know?

My work experience is in this field sort of...I am now a Consultant for HR Info Systems for ADP, but my background is also in medical and dental client services, outsourced HR/Payroll yada yada...so for the last 10 years in one way or shape I had to have a close ear and eye to those fields and the changes and trends occuring.

Guest lyrik

That actually seems a reasonable choice, and one that I have practiced for many years. However, it seems to me that this issue is larger than any one person can handle.

Until something serious is done to curb this, the best thing you can do is be armed with knowledge. Understand that your doctor may not know what he is talking about or may be misinformed, or more likely is just overwhelmed by the number of patients he or she has to deal with in a day. Question everything they tell you, even if they state it in that haughty way that they have that is intended to make you feel like an idiot. Do your own research, if they prescribe any drugs or other procedures. If you go in for surgery, investigate all of the personnel that will be working on you to see if they have any past history of lawsuits or anything untoward. This is a serious situation and one that I consider completely out of hand.

All these malpractice suits and trends is why the Healthcare industry is trying make a shift to a more paitent proactive system...one where patients will shop the best prices for procedures because of the rising healthcare costs associated with having to carry so much malpractice insurance etc This is where all these HSA and HDHP plans are coming from lately.

Guest lyrik

Yeah, but wouldn't the malpractice suits go down if medical personnel just stopped malpracticing?

In theory...but what about all the fraudulent claims too...same could be said about the people out for just a quick buck...and believe me there are many people trying to work the system...FMLA comes right to mind.

Guest coach

I'm bad at searching for info on the web, but what is the percentage of fraudulent lawsuits? It seems like if there were fewer legitimate suits, it would be easier to pick out the fraudulent ones.

This site seems to indicate that fraudulent lawsuits are not really a huge issue.

Guest lyrik

I'm bad at searching for info on the web, but what is the percentage of fraudulent lawsuits? It seems like if there were fewer legitimate suits, it would be easier to pick out the fraudulent ones.

This site seems to indicate that fraudulent lawsuits are not really a huge issue.

True...does seem like there isn't as much weight to the fraudulent claims filed as opposed to actual medical malpractice but you won't hear that from the docs...and don't get me wrong I lean more to patient advocacy but I have been a little removed from that level of service for some years. Its funny that you post that because when they have these conferences for healthcare and its rising costs they paint such a bad picture in terms of malpractice and the insurance they need to carry etc but also they associate the rising costs to an outdated HMO system that providers don't make money off and patients "can take advantage of".