Clubplanet Nightlife Community

"Interesting" Number

Guest coach

Guest slamminshaun

Yeah, but wouldn't the malpractice suits go down if medical personnel just stopped malpracticing?

Right, like its that easy...you make it sound like all they have to do is fill in a few blanks, punch a few buttons, and viola!

As Lula pointed out, they practice medicine....they're NOT gods! The lawsuit-happy lawyers make it seem as if doctors do this on purpose. The cost of malpractice insurance is what's driving good doctors out of the business. I finance malpractice insurance premiums for doctors, and some pay in excess of $150,000 per year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest coach

And who do you blame for that, Shaun? Incompetent doctors? Overcharging insurance companies? Or patients who have been injured? You say lawsuit-happy lawyers, but if you check the numbers, fraudulent suits are actually a very small percentage of the total.

So, you and Michelle have both pointed out that these are not gods, as if that is some sort of big revelation or excuse. Is your point that a patient that has been maimed for life by someone's mistake should just suck it up and say: "Oh well, I didn't need that leg, anyway, the guy is just human." ???

Guest slamminshaun

I'm not saying there's not incompetent doctors out there, but the malpractice lawsuit problem is just that....a big problem! Many doctors (who have never been sued) are forced into carrying no insurance because of the cost. Would you go to a doctor who has no insurance? Most people won't, so someone who is a "perfect" doctor doesn't see patients that could probably use their help.

Others simply don't provide healthcare that's considered risky, such as home nursing, vaginal birth, and heart/brain surgery. For example, a woman giving birth in the Keys who doesn't want to be cut open usually has to travel to Homestead because the OBG/YNs in the Keys have deemed vaginal birth as too risky for them to take responsibility for everything that happens.

It is worth noting that since Florida passed medical malpractice insurance reform and placed caps on how much lawyers can earn, the number of lawsuits have decreased (source: Florida Trend magazine, current issue)

Again, I'm not saying that all these claims are fraud. But what I am saying is that since lawyers stand to make tens of millions on one case, and since most jurors have NO FUCKIN' CLUE about medicine, the odds are good to win whether or not malpractice was involved.

Guest coach

Who cares if the lawsuits go down? How about the number of medical malpractices? Less people dying and getting hurt due to medical errors?

Guest slamminshaun

Who cares if the lawsuits go down? How about the number of medical malpractices? Less people dying and getting hurt due to medical errors?

So what's your solution? Say "Kazaam" and hope they become perfect robots?

Guest coach

My solution would be to educate the public about this. I mean, we hav the number one killer of Americans, something that FAR outstrips things like terrorism and we get nearly zero news coverage on it. Also, to my knowledge, it is not even an item on the government's agenda. The solution would be to put more resources into fixing the problem, of course. Do some research into the root causes of this problem. Are doctors overworked? Do they not have the technology they need? Do they need better training? Are the vetting processes not rigorous enough? I mean, WHY is our medical business killing so many people?

Of course, an additional solution is better education of the public. People trust doctors. This is obviously a bad idea. But, they do not even know they shouldn't. If it was at least publisized that medical deaths are an issue than a medical consumer would be aware that they should question their doctors and make sure they understand what is being done to them and what the risks are.

• 2 weeks later...