Clubplanet Nightlife Community

That kid was playing Doom

Guest endymion

Guest JMT

regardless of what the media would like you to believe about V Tech, THIS was the worst school killing in US history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

apparently, it isnt glamorous enough to be reported.

--you never hear things like this in other developed nations ...

mass shootings/killings do happen other places. perhaps not with the frequency they do here, but not many countries have 300+ million people living in them.

Guest pod

http://opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110009956

---

That being said, other "developed" nations aren't entirely without guilt either. Norah, look up the Dunblane massacre. Oddly enough, this happened after the UK enacted strict gun control laws.

All the laws in the world aren't gonna make a hoot of difference. If someone wants to do something like this, they'll find a way.

Guest Seb

regardless of what the media would like you to believe about V Tech, THIS was the worst school killing in US history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

apparently, it isnt glamorous enough to be reported.

see thats what I think is part of the problem, these types of incidences are almost glamorized by the media. Kids of all ages see this stuff all over the place and see the type of attention it gets. Imagine a kid who has no future, no friends and lives an insignificant existence, a kid like this sees all this attention and thinks to himself, mmmmm that could be me. I remember just after Columbine there were a string of incidences where kids were bringing guns to schools and blasting. I know that we can't eliminate the coverage but is possible to maybe tone it down a little?

Guest JMT

every executive at NBC should be hung. are they fucking stupid? could they romance this piece of shit any more? they cant seem to get enough of the video clips he made on msnbc. they shouldnt have shown or released anything that little prick said. what a bunch of fucks.

apparently, this loser was found "insane" by a court in 2005 and then released. great call on that one.

open the fucking looney bins back up, lock the crazy losers up and stop trying to incorporate them into society!

Guest slamminshaun

every executive at NBC should be hung. are they fucking stupid? could they romance this piece of shit any more? they should havent have shown or released anything that little prick said. what a bunch of fucks.

apparently, this loser was found "insane" by a court in 2005 and then released. great call on that one.

open the fucking looney bins back up, lock the crazy losers up and stop trying to incorporate them into society!

Yep. This guy gave off EVERY warning sign that he was a psycho, but political correctness and the fear of being called a racist got in the way. He went to counseling, was ruled insane by a court, and he even wrote crazy shit for school that caused many to skip class out of fear. But forget all that....it's all Charlton Heston's fault. Ban the guns, save the children!

Guest pod

Total failure of the system there. I can respect individuality and all, but most some people shouldn't be let out of the house after dark.

Guest saintjohn

Rage, by Richard Bachman (Stephen King)

"Cain Rose Up," by Stephen King. It was brought to my attention by one of my wife's high school students, who cited the short story in his term paper on Skeleton Crew.

Guest saintjohn

School shootings are a relatively new phenomenon. Back when students had easier access to firearms, such incidents were unheard of. It may seem strange now, but many schools in this country used to have shooting teams - and nobody seemed to worry about an angry student going on a rampage with a target rifle. Students in some rural areas used to bring their hunting rifles to school during deer season so they could go hunting after class - and it wasn’t a problem. During my time at the University of Florida (which wasn’t THAT long ago), I actually learned how to shoot semi-automatic pistols at the school’s target range - and my instructors weren’t concerned.

So, what changed? Troubled students (and guns) have been around since the dawn of formal education, but school shooting sprees are new.

Blaming Doom, Stephen King, Leonardo DiCaprio, NBC, et cetera is kinda fun, but I think we're missing something here.

Guest pod

It is kind of odd that in an age of more restrictive gun sales, the frequency of incidents such as this have gone up.

It's so easy to blame things like video games, music, and movies. They usually don't fight back. And when they do, it's an out-of-court settlement, and everyone shuts up. As morbid as it sounds, even the grieving parents in this situation, who decide to sue the media companies, will have their price.

We have to seriously look at the true root causes of these situations. The one common factor in recent school shootings has been that it's always been the 'loner' kid who has cracked and gone off. The Columbine situation, the VT situation we're talking about, they were perpetrated by the outcasts. In the history of these unfortunate events, there's never been the football star, the class president, or the cheerleader committing these acts. It's always the kid in the back, the one they tend to label as 'not right', to keep it civil, and probably much more vicious insults to be realistic.

Unfortunately, we can't be going around playing psychologist to every 'disturbed' kid out there. Like I said earlier, it could easily get out of hand. Back when I was incarcerated in attending the public school system, I could have been labeled as 'not right'. I didn't participate in team sports, I sure as hell didn't go for the student government, my only goal since I was old enough to realize it was to leave town, which I did. I had a friend or two, sure, but I surely wasn't part of the 'in crowd'. If this situation happened back then, and they started hauling every 'strange' kid in front of the school psychologists, I surely would have been part of the roundup, even though I had no intentions of committing mass murder on the students.

But to reiterate, we need to address the root causes of these problems, but not with knee-jerk reactions and pop psychology.

Guest endymion

Interesting, Saint John. My dad was on a rifle team at a bunch of different high schools all over the country, his dad was in the Air Force. I didn't realize that this was such a new phenomenon.

He talked about John Karr apparently, in that diatribe somewhere from what I understand? You wonder if it's all about the media, and getting attention. He talked about Columbine. It's a way to go out in a blaze of glory but like JMT pointed out with the Bath thing, that's nothing new either.

So what's new, just the tactic?

Doom?

Guest endymion

That kid in Virginia spent the last two hours of his life playing Doom.

I'm tentatively optimistic that he was not playing Doom. There was no game console in his belongings that the police took with their warrant. A number of articles around the web say that Cho's suite mates in his dorm never saw him playing video games.