Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Our Scene - Dead or Alive?

Guest JustDade

Guest pod

Unfortunately, that seems to be the perspective of the bulk of the die-hard dance music community in this town. I've seen it happen where DJs suck if:

- they earn more than $50 a night

- play something that's on the Billboard Hot Dance chart

- play a club that holds more than 20 people

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ramon

I think Privilege was maybe ahead of its time. Techno's renaissance in the public eye came shortly afterewards. I think that place would've done much better now. I just might be naive again though.

opinions?

We had global talent from that scene at least once a month and it was great.

I remember how special that time was. I didn't care about lists I was just happy this music was seeing the light here and still people didn't care. All people could do was bitch about not having Richie play.

Guest Culture

weve been promoting edm events for 12 plus years. everything goes in cycles. the breaks/electro scene in miami is currently doing really well.

the scene is what you make of it.

Guest JustDade

I think Privilege was maybe ahead of its time. Techno's renaissance in the public eye came shortly afterewards. I think that place would've done much better now. I just might be naive again though.

opinions?

I remember how special that time was. I didn't care about lists I was just happy this music was seeing the light here and still people didn't care. All people could do was bitch about not having Richie play.

I agree that it would have done much better today but I'm not sure if it could have survived. According to Nova you guys didn't do it right so I guess it would have failed anyway. After all....nobody from Privelege approached him so how could it work?

Guest ramon

opinions?

I agree that it would have done much better today but I'm not sure if it could have survived. According to Nova you guys didn't do it right so I guess it would have failed anyway. After all....nobody from Privelege approached him so how could it work?

I'm not sure it could survive either, but I think if we had some mid-size venues with smaller overhead than let's say space , twilo , nocturnal we would be able to do some things. Here it's either a small lounge or space. We need something like Cielo or Spybar or Oslo (R.I.P). Maybe something dual purpose so they don't have to make all their money with music. ;)

Guest pod

Or just not push the DJ as the reason to show up. I've said it a lot, you can book someone if you go like "Club XYZ, open bar, great atmosphere, great crowd, oh, and we've got Luciano tonight..."

Very few DJs can draw a crowd on name alone in Miami.

Guest ramon

Or just not push the DJ as the reason to show up. I've said it a lot, you can book someone if you go like "Club XYZ, open bar, great atmosphere, great crowd, oh, and we've got Luciano tonight..."

Luciano huh? are you reading RA?! :D

Guest pod

I'd like to think in some cases that could work, pull a fast one on them. Now, you can't just do that from the get-go. You gotta prove to your audience that you're gonna provide them with a consistently good night.

Still, I don't know entirely if that would really work. Just a theory I have. Don't push the DJ.

Guest Juniper

we are pushing the lounge aspect on our sunday night parties - catering primarily to that but are scouting out some quality bookings behind the scene. is completely experimental and am curious about the outcome

-we have never disclosed the musical nature of our night

Guest pod

Go for it. If you manage to pull it off, then good. Besides, when stuff like this happens, the music contingent whips out their Sidekicks and happily texts all their buddies about it. And since it's a surprise, you can usually stick 'em at the door for a few bucks.

Guest karenmartin

Simons was not small that's all I want you to understand.

Simons booked this Sasha guy cause he heard a mixtape he liked. It was all very new back then though so it was a different era.

I always wanted to go to Shadow but I wasn't old enough. However I do know what Dade did and it's importance in our scene here.

Shadowlounge was nothing underground, they brought derrick may once, and didn't even promote it!!!! It was more of ...people that don't know what they're doing in Music ....running a MUSIC establishment .

This coming from a guy whos big gig is playing Wednesday nights at a sushi restaurant owned by my friend Jacques.

You still haven't answered my question......who should we book? What's your master plan?

Let me guess......

We make you the resident DJ of a big club. We let you play whatever you want. We pay the bills, and your fee, even though you only draw 52 people who are all on the guestlist. We hang in there losing money because you're sure the education will catch on. We go out of business because we hung our hopes on a clueless douchebag. You go on to blame the failure on LP and Hip-Hop and un-knowledgeable people. You're back at Indochine the next week playing to 22 heads who think you're just peachy.

genius! lol sorry.

Guest JustDade

LP would book turtle races on the patio if it made economic sense to do so.

What a great idea.......turtle races with DJ Nova spinning his educational techno. After all, he is the Schoolhouse Rock of Dance Music! One good Saturday night and we're all scholars and turtle experts.

Guest Untouchable Chino

how are you DAVE..that would be an interesting saturday night..turtle races..can you bring CHOCO..how is he doing..?

Guest JustDade

weve been promoting edm events for 12 plus years. everything goes in cycles. the breaks/electro scene in miami is currently doing really well.

the scene is what you make of it.

Well said. Imagine how good it would be if you had DJ Nova on your team.

Guest pod

Good point. There's people promoting electronic music in this town, and doing it well, but they're not bitching about The Man holding them down.

Guest JustDade

The problem with that plan is that the DJ Novas of the world will call you a sell-out. After all, the DJ and his records are the only thing that's important in nightlife. Anything else is superfiscial crap and unworthy of the educated EDM guru.

That's a big part of the reason that so many of these events fail. They've managed to take the fun out of clubbing. If you do any of the following you're a sell-out:

1. Wear actual shoes and dress in anything other than a t- shirt/jeans or cargos/sneakers.

2. Express a fondness for Cedric or Oscar.

3. Pay cover.

4. Buy a bottle.

5. Care about macking on girls.

Guest coach
I'm not sure it could survive either, but I think if we had some mid-size venues with smaller overhead than let's say space , twilo , nocturnal we would be able to do some things. Here it's either a small lounge or space. We need something like Cielo or Spybar or Oslo (R.I.P). Maybe something dual purpose so they don't have to make all their money with music. ;)

This is about the smartest thing said here in a long time. Miami is severely lacking in venues between Blue and Cameo. There are some mid-size, like Suite/Snatch or Prive, but they are bottles/VIP. Something with the same musical attitude of Blue/Laundry/Space but with the size of, say, Snatch. Kind of like Privelege or Nerve. Hmm... Well, maybe it's not such a good idea, but it sure sounds like one.

Guest pod

1. Wear actual shoes and dress in anything other than a t- shirt/jeans or cargos/sneakers.

3. Pay cover.

4. Buy a bottle.

6. Try to make more than subsistence wage in clubland.

7. Try to generate exposure for clubland. Yeah, I've been looked at funny at some events because I represent big bad media.

Guest Culture

This is about the smartest thing said here in a long time. Miami is severely lacking in venues between Blue and Cameo. There are some mid-size, like Suite/Snatch or Prive, but they are bottles/VIP. Something with the same musical attitude of Blue/Laundry/Space but with the size of, say, Snatch. Kind of like Privelege or Nerve. Hmm... Well, maybe it's not such a good idea, but it sure sounds like one.

studio a is great midsized venue

Guest ramon

still too big aj. think cielo or spybar. start mall maybe we can graudate to studio a in a year or so , but the scene has to warrant that.

Guest davidorth

between this thread, danny's post on dtourism which made its way here and all the replies, there's finally something to read on cj!!! woo hoo! :P

Guest pod

Thing is, like Cielo, on a tech level it has to be done right. Lighting is not a bad thing, people. And "that guy you know", installing self-powered Mackies and calling himself a sound guy, does not qualify as a proper sound install.

And don't get me started on the decor. Throwing paint on the walls and calling it a night, fuhgeddabout it. Black walls and a candle in the corner might bode well for the music crowd, but for the other nights when you actually have to make a buck, the place has to look good.

Guest DJ Nova

The problem with that plan is that the DJ Novas of the world will call you a sell-out. After all, the DJ and his records are the only thing that's important in nightlife. Anything else is superfiscial crap and unworthy of the educated EDM guru.

That's a big part of the reason that so many of these events fail. They've managed to take the fun out of clubbing. If you do any of the following you're a sell-out:

3. Pay cover.

4. Buy a bottle.

absolutely ridiculous, you're obviously gonna hide behind smoke and mirrors.....Dade, you seriously have no idea WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. You're completely disconnected from today's nightlife scene ....as you were back then. You have no idea what I'm talking about, or what I'm saying.......you're just too stuck on yourself...and "what you have done for miami" . whatever that is, most of which probably did more harm then good.

Guest JustDade

still too big aj. think cielo or spybar. start mall maybe we can graudate to studio a in a year or so , but the scene has to warrant that.

It's not venue size that's the problem. The fact is that the same math is in play at the small venue. A venue like Space actually needs less $ per person than a smaller venue because they can make it up in volume. The smaller venue has to get as much out of each head because they don't benefit from the economies of scale. For example they pay more for booze because they don't have buying power. It costs less per square foot to run Space than it does to run Suite.

i think the best way to describe it is "constantly changing"

saying its dead or alive is all subjective

lets say to the VIP bottle crowd/celeb following/commercial house/hip hop crowd of miami its alive and well

while for the deep house crowd the parties are less frequent and more underground--def not dead though

techno--HELL ive seen more techno parties posted on this board then i have ever seen since ive joined CJ techno def looks like its making some sort of mini comeback at least on a smaller scale

THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT CAN DETERMINE IF THE SCENE IS DEAD OR ALIVE IS OUR LOCAL GOVERNMENT

if they cut back the times sobe is open and/or force Space and other venues to shut down due to the condos going up

then that is what i consider a determining factor of the death of the scene or not

just cause the music we like is not played at clubs with the frequency it used to doesnt mean its dead.

for me personally , i rather go out to have sushi, go see a play. movie, stay in and watch a dvd as opposed to club hopping every weekend.

and when i do go out its

a) to support someone i am friends with on this board (even if i dont like the music)

B) go out to music i specifically know ill enjoy

my time is valuable i dont like to sleep away my weekends anymore