Clubplanet Nightlife Community

An opinion of Miami...

Guest pod

Guest michael^heaven

I just scanned through the article. I could say much of the same things about many places that I've lived...elitists attitudes in Los Angeles/Orange County...the Hispanic population in South Texas, seriously, still believing that area belongs to Mexico & refusing to speak/learn English...etc....etc.

Don't get me started on public transportation. When I lived in Dallas, there was ZERO public transport from my house in Grand Prairie to the Market Center district where I worked (which is basically just beyond the downtown area for those who have never been there). Even now, if I were to take the Votran bus from my house in New Smyrna Beach to my job in Ormond Beach, it would take 3 effing hours. It's only approx. a 35 mile commute. Ridiculous!

Alas, you can always find something to bitch about a place that you live but there are always good things too.

Bottom line>Don't like it?>LEAVE! ;)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pod

whitey... It seems my friend u need 2 see a psychologist and maybe take Varbarino w/ u (get that group discount!! ha!)

I get my therapy visits comped.

You haven't been here long enough to see what a lot of these newcomers have done or tried to do to this city in a negative way. Whitey's the main culprit.

Jorge Perez? He respects the city since he's practically from here. Plus, he's built a lot of properties for the disadvantaged. Funny how the richest developer in town is the most respectable.

You're what, 23, 24? But you act 43, 44. I know 44 years olds who live life a lot more than you do.

Get out of Barnes and Noble and go walk around the real Miami for a bit. It's quite interesting. You'd think being from South America, this city would be a cakewalk for you.

Guest slamminshaun

"Please move to Idaho."

I say things like "please move to Canada" or "please move to France" to people who bitch non-stop about this country and it still gets me nowhere.

Guest cire

I have only been to Miami 5 or 6 times and stayed for a 3 or 4 days each time, and I agree with the first part I read about the way the building look. I have enjoyed the hell out of Miami each and every time I have been, but the building structure screams of low cost 70's or somethin', anywho, I can't wait to get back next year!

At first I thought you wrote this too...until he said something about his mother in law. I absolutely love it here...but everything he mentioned here is entirely accurate. In fact, I reread the entire thing after seeing how people were responding so negatively to it. We espouse these same sentiments...on these boards...everyday. It's the truth as he sees it. It's his goddamn opinion...albeit a pretty accurate one as far as I'm concerned. Is this all in his mind ? None of this is true, yeah ? And I love how dude waited for confirmation that Pod, in fact, DID NOT write this before he let the douchebag comment fly. What a f*cking joke.

i knew pod didn't write that, you moron.

Guest Buck White

i'm assuming you wrote this, pod?

Grow a pair before you started assuming who's a moron and who isnt.

Guest Clubhopper11

Can someone please tell this person, whoever wrote this long, yawning, disrespectful piece about Miami, to STFU and just leave? I can't help but to feel a bit irritated by this opinion piece. Ugh!!

>:(

Guest Marina22

I couldn't get through the whole thing cause it was putting me to sleep and all I could hear was Artie's "waaaaaaaah".. I don't live in Miami but have frequented the city enough in the 18 yrs. I have lived in South Fl. and yes it has it's bad sides but all big cities do. ie.. When I went to San Fran on a family trip in 95' I remember alot of bums and their Chinese food wasn't as good as London's. :P

When I scanned down to see it was a British expat who wrote it, I couldn't help but think of that other whiny one from conference that was connected to Defected.. Did I recall correctly, something to that effect?

Having lived in Caracas, Venezuela; Uxbridge, England; and now Boca Raton, Florida, Miami is not as bad a the former third world mess I call home. As much as I love the city I was born in, it's a bloody mess ova there. For examples: Traffic? Pfffffffft, the people in Caracas drive like maniacs (won't dare attempt to) since they don't follow the lines on the road, traffic lights, and/or the police standing in the middle of that traffic light. LOL In addition to, I know many a song lyric from my mom's American country music or 50s ballads since one would be stuck in traffic sometimes up to an hour or more a day. That was also for a ride that should realistically only take 15-20 mins. Let's not get into the fact that you can get "express kidnapped" while in that traffic for all the money in your atm or just your SUV (which you actually need there since it's mountainous like L.A.). I have about 5 relatives on my father's side alone who have been held at gunpoint in their cars some more than once. ::)

I won't go on because it's just tedious but you get the drift.. We are in paradise compared to that. Besides, I'd rather go live in Miami than most other cities in the States. The infrastructure does suck a big one but again compared to Caracas where "that same hole" is still in the road for quite a while..

Guest Marina22

At first I thought you wrote this too...until he said something about his mother in law. I absolutely love it here...but everything he mentioned here is entirely accurate. In fact, I reread the entire thing after seeing how people were responding so negatively to it. We espouse these same sentiments...on these boards...everyday. It's the truth as he sees it. It's his goddamn opinion...albeit a pretty accurate one as far as I'm concerned. Is this all in his mind ? None of this is true, yeah ? And I love how dude waited for confirmation that Pod, in fact, DID NOT write this before he let the douchebag comment fly. What a f*cking joke.

i knew pod didn't write that, you moron.

Woa boys, he's straight Ryan not a moron at all.. Peace and Love. :-*

Guest Cosmigonon

As much as I love the city I was born in, it's a bloody mess ova there. For examples: Traffic? Pfffffffft, the people in Caracas drive like maniacs (won't dare attempt to) since they don't follow the lines on the road, traffic lights, and/or the police standing in the middle of that traffic light. LOL In addition to, I know many a song lyric from my mom's American country music or 50s ballads since one would be stuck in traffic sometimes up to an hour or more a day. That was also for a ride that should realistically only take 15-20 mins.

i feel like you're talking about my hometown... :P

Guest Buck White

i only make educated assumptions, trust me.

( yawn ) the doo-doo boy is Cecil Rhodes now.

Guest Marina22

As much as I love the city I was born in, it's a bloody mess ova there. For examples: Traffic? Pfffffffft, the people in Caracas drive like maniacs (won't dare attempt to) since they don't follow the lines on the road, traffic lights, and/or the police standing in the middle of that traffic light. LOL In addition to, I know many a song lyric from my mom's American country music or 50s ballads since one would be stuck in traffic sometimes up to an hour or more a day. That was also for a ride that should realistically only take 15-20 mins.

i feel like you're talking about my hometown... :P

Yeah, it's like "choose your own third-world", the adventures never end.. :o

Guest Marina22

i only make educated assumptions, trust me.

( yawn ) the doo-doo boy is Cecil Rhodes now.

Let's not play who's got bigger cojones cause I'll get Ryan to take out his burra. ::)

Guest lyrik

I couldn't make it past the first paragraph. I loved/love Miami when I lived there...people, scenary, events etc etc. So much we will be moving back in a year to two years. It does need improvements with its infrastructure (community, schools etc)

I will say this though, I don't know what is more annoying people bitching about such an awesome environment to live in or POD's use of the term whitey over and over again. I mean you're starting to remind of that one white guy that would hang out with all the black kids and would tell people "naw dawg I ain't white yo...sheeeit dawg" I mean what the fuck are you exactly again? Cause you sure look as pale as they come to me?

Guest pod

Whitey is a catchall term in my book. Easier to say than spend a paragraph explaining precisely the person who is destroying a lot of what makes this city unique.

Besides, everyone knows I'm the whitest half-Latin in town, so it makes people wonder.

And yes, kill Whitey.

Guest Buck White

Never mind that. What about the people that keep admitting they couldnt get past the 1st, 2nd and 3rd paragraph ? Jesus, he's not going into lurid detail about the atrocities in Auschwitz. And this is kind of validating his point about "no one in Miami reads".

Guest lyrik

Never mind that. What about the people that keep admitting they couldnt get past the 1st, 2nd and 3rd paragraph ? Jesus, he's not going into lurid detail about the atrocities in Auschwitz. And this is kind of validating his point about "no one in Miami reads".

The first paragraph kind of tells me all I have to know about what the guy is going to say after that. After you have heard and read the same sentiment over and over you knid of know what to expect...and ya I hate reading anything over a couple paragraphs. People need to be more direct and get to the fuckin point.

Guest clubchicky

yeah....as an English major I read the first paragraph, then read the topic sentence and a few supporting of every other paragraph...once it gets repetitive I SKIP ;D

Guest myles hie

I agree with 95% of what he wrote, it did seem have slight racial slant which i didnt care for. I used to love all the things that made So Fl, So Fl, but now more and more i grow to dislike it. Of course every metro area has thier issues but, So Fl is on overload and i don't see things getting better. For me the negatives are outweighing the positives. :(. It's easy to love it here if you live in a comfortable zone where you don't really have to worry about alot of what the guy who wrote the diatribe talks about. BUt if you are not financially ok, living in So Fl can go from ok to bad, very fast.

Guest lyrik

OK I caved and read the whole damn thing. I can see where he is coming from though I think he certainly magnifies the situation a bit and maybe had or is still having trouble acclimating himself to a different city/culture (our first year was extremely rough). I can say I have lived a lot of different places and Miami is certainly not at the bottom of my list. I do have concerns in regards to economical security, schools and natural disasters if and when we decide to come back to Miami (me may just go further North - as high as ORL) but I am pretty secure with my job and salary as well as my wife so I can see what he is saying about that stark economical divide though I think there absolutely is a middle class in Miami. As far as people go I would pick Miami any day. I have met truly awesome individuals there and made life long friendships. Like I said its tough going the first year or so, but after that you begin to understand people a lot better. To me people in Miami are blunt and in my experience up front with you. If they don’t like you they are not afraid to let it be known. I would rather have someone be on the level with me and not like me to my face as opposed to being fake nice and talking behind my back

Guest JMT

you're not going to win the CJ Congeniality Award with that type of attitude, Buck.