Clubplanet Nightlife Community

This Saturday "The Mix Reunion" at a Private Location!

Guest miamihouse

Guest miamihouse

Yes, indeed....for those who experienced The Mix, we are inviting our Mix friends to a private party at a private residence this Saturday Sept. 22nd!!!

In the Mix with David Padilla plus several invited guest DJ's including DJ Armand S. & DJ David Solero plus more to be announced!

For those who know David Padilla personally E-mail for details to this Top Secret event and the location which begins at 8pm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bikini's and bathing suits allowed in the Pool!!!!!!

Guest djjoncowan

there are already talks of a real MIX reunion also in a proper venue.... I'm sure this will be great, as house parties usually are, but do stay tuned for a public mix reunion announcement at some point soon

Guest djjoncowan

Those big-ass BH-series subs. You could live inside of them.

i think the woman outside of the deuce actually does.... LOL - at least the housing of one of em....

Yeah, I would guess the magnets would need to be removed. But she's a bit crazy so maybe they're still in there scrambling what's left of her brain's processing power.

Guest djjoncowan

Hey Jon,

Shine would be a great venue for this if you are interested.....who knows??? I will run it by David Padilla.

DJ David Solero

david and I have been speaking about this for months already.... ;)

Guest coach

So, for us newbies, give us the lowdown. What's the deal?

Actually, I meant I do not know what the Mix is or why there would be a reunion or who would be reunionizing. Give us a little history on the deal.

The Mix was an afterhours club on Miami Beach (yes, Miami Beach) It ran from 1997 - 2000, and was diagonally across the way from Shadow Lounge, and about half a block south of what is now Cameo. A Hot Topic knockoff store now resides there.

But anywho, the Mix was one of the few places at the time in Miami that was actually breaking musical barriers, in the sense that through it's resident DJ, David Padilla, and ownership by people from Amsterdam, DJs such as Paul Van Dyk, Tiësto, Paul Oakenfold, Ferry Corsten, Armin, etc, were getting their first big break into Miami, if not the whole country. The "sound" of the venue would be best lumped into trance and progressive house. Typically, people would party at Shadow Lounge until 5 AM, and then wander over to the Mix for a continuation of the evening. Now, this was pre-Space, obviously.

The thing about the Mix, also, was that since it didn't serve alcohol, it was probably the only place on South Beach where those under 21 could go to to hear decent music in a decent club.

Typically, the place opened around 4 AM, and stayed open until around noon. Prior to late 2000, Beach laws only prohibited operation past 5 AM if your venue served alcohol. Now, I know some of you sketch bandits have been in booze-serving places on the beach past 5, but that's illegal no matter what the promoter said. But anyway, The Mix took advantage of the law, and decided to open at 4 AM, not serving alcohol.

Place was about the size of say, Blue and most of Lost Weekend. There was three rooms. A main room with a dancefloor, seating, and a tiny VIP of sorts. Then there was a back room where the main music was piped in at a significantly lower volume. And then a tiny outside area for fresh air, sans all sound.

It was all fine and dandy until one Nancy Lieberman came along and decided that it was her personal mission to 'clean up' South Beach. Kind of all came to a head in 2000 (election year), and the end result was that all clubs, no matter if they served booze or not, were to be 21 and up, and eventually she went after afterhours on the beach in general. The Mix pulled through, but unfortunately closed due to economic pressures in late 2000.

Guest myles hie

Spot on. Although I don't think they were breaking musical bounderies. It was more of a continuation of what Shadow was doing musically. Lots of fun good times though. The old logo kinda summed it up, a little fat screaming man/baby with a speaker coming out of his mouth :)

Guest djjoncowan

Spot on. Although I don't think they were breaking musical bounderies. It was more of a continuation of what Shadow was doing musically. Lots of fun good times though. The old logo kinda summed it up, a little fat screaming man/baby with a speaker coming out of his mouth :)

i'd agree with pods description as well with the exception that it was a bit less trancy at times then shadow when it was in its heyday with george acosta... it was a shadow/groovejet mix musically and was the continuation from both of those venues that closed at 5am - very common question - "do we go home or head to the mix for an hour tops!!" - LOL (1 hour always turned into 4 minimum..)

Guest coach

Nancy is still around, I'm pretty sure, but is mostly busting chops up on the north end of town, now.

Nice summation Pod. How in the world did they stay in business without alcohol? Door charge? And what the heck is a VIP without bottle service? Did you just pay a straight fee to have a couch?

Yeah, like I said, the VIP was tiny, and you paid like $50 to have a couch.

They stayed in business via cover charges, and serving Red Bulls and Gatorades galore at $5-$7 a pop. There really wasn't a big guestlist, either.

Jon's right, the "hour" turned into four.

Guest armand1210

Super excited to be asked to played this. This is sort of a test run so if it works out expect to see more of these happening.

The Mix was one of these places that like Groovejet, Shadow Lounge and the like, happen to have come around to the right place at the right time.

The placed ran on pure cover charges, juice, adrenaline & a certain happy pill that were in abundance at the time.

I've had near religious experiences there. Great memories. :D

Guest djjoncowan

Super excited to be asked to played this. This is sort of a test run so if it works out expect to see more of these happening.

The Mix was one of these places that like Groovejet, Shadow Lounge and the like, happen to have come around to the right place at the right time.

The placed ran on pure cover charges, juice, adrenaline & a certain happy pill that were in abundance at the time.

I've had near religious experiences there. Great memories. :D

events like all these reunions lately defintely bring back mega memories... if you guys need any help with anything what so ever just say the word.... all about trying to give some of the miami newbies a peak into what they missed out on from yr's past...... who knows, maybe we can get some of those moments back after all - those moments were definitely in full effect at the bliss @ groovejet reunion a few weeks back... it was great to have people running to the booth asking about tracks that were new too them but actually made in the early 90's.... really good fun... anyways, if i can be of help, say the word..... ;)

Guest DeepHouseMan

I've had near religious experiences there.

Ahhh the good ole days at The Mix. I used to go there with my Special friend name K back in the day!

Talk about relgious experiences?!?!? How about a few out of body-near death experiences! I saw Jesus, shook his hand and headed back to the club a few times! LOL

So I'm guessing The Kit Kat will probably have a reunion too?

Guest djjoncowan

I've had near religious experiences there.

Ahhh the good ole days at The Mix. I used to go there with my Special friend name K back in the day!

Talk about relgious experiences?!?!? How about a few out of body-near death experiences! I saw Jesus, shook his hand and headed back to the club a few times! LOL

So I'm guessing The Kit Kat will probably have a reunion too?

shit, maybe we can do a club NU reunion.... LOL

Guest DeepHouseMan

LOL

I say someone bring back Ven Dome and Le Bains and Cameo starts doing Disco Inferno on Sundays again!

Guest djjoncowan

LOL

I say someone bring back Ven Dome and Le Bains and Cameo starts doing Disco Inferno on Sundays again!

le bains.. LOL - maybe we can even through the spot, chaos, or even risk into it...... bring back the old sobe!!!

Well, you can't do anything twice. Reunions are nice, and it's nice to reminisce, but reunions should also give the parties involved a chance to show where they are now.

The new folk, well, yeah, they missed out on some good shit, but in ten years, they'll be able to have their own reunions for whatever they hold dear. For example, the burra crowd can have a burra reunion in 2017.