Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Goddamn shame...shame on us as a nation

Guest Dj_Peace

Guest Dj_Peace

This is why I get so pissed at people chomping at the bits to send our troops off to war, especially these f*****g politrixters . They go off to fight as ordered andhow do we repay our vets? This is one of my biggest fears as the economy worsens that this could possibly be my story despite my many years of service to this country should I hit a "rough patch" along the way. Shame!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/08/homeless.veterans/index.html

Guest cire

I think there needs to be more options for them when they come home from war, and the information actually needs to be given to them. I find in talking with people formerly in the military that they are not aware of some of the benefits they could be receiving due to mental or physical disability. It is a shame, this is something that has been going on a long time with the homeless population, and needs to be looked at with more concern.

Guest funky monkey
Honoring veterans and financially supporting them is two different things.

true. but it's not really honoring them to treat them as though they don't matter, to repay their sacrifice by treating them as if they are disposable - except on that one day. so really, what's the point of honoring them when it's just an empty gesture?

Guest trancepriest
true. but it's not really honoring them to treat them as though they don't matter, to repay their sacrifice by treating them as if they are disposable - except on that one day. so really, what's the point of honoring them when it's just an empty gesture?

Such are the ways of our capitalist system... they are disposable. Our system is built on profit not social responsibility.

Guest coach

Hey, where's our "fiscally conservative" warmongers for this thread? I wonder how you balance so much support for the war with so little support for war veterans?

Guest Dj_Peace
Hey, where's our "fiscally conservative" warmongers for this thread? I wonder how you balance so much support for the war with so little support for war veterans?

just thinking the same thing...SS and the rest of the hawks are awfully quiet *****crickets in the background********

Guest JMT

yeah, Shaun has not posted in this thread in anything resembling a timely enough fashion. it must undoubtedly be because he cannot manage to type on his keyboard due to laughing so hard at the plight of these tragic veterans.

Guest slamminshaun
Honoring veterans and financially supporting them is two different things.

I'm with you on that one. It's sad there's so many homeless vets, but what does being a vet have to do with being guaranteed a home? How many homeless vets have you offered to stay with you Peace?

(by the way, I can't post during work hours due to a firewall blocking CJ at work)

Guest Mattivi
I'm with you on that one. It's sad there's so many homeless vets, but what does being a vet have to do with being guaranteed a home? How many homeless vets have you offered to stay with you Peace?

(by the way, I can't post during work hours due to a firewall blocking CJ at work)

its not really about guaranteeing them a home. a lot of these guys come back with some kind of war related syndrome and in a much more mentally and physically dibilitated state than when they departed, and as soon as they step on main street get denied medical attention and other various benefits. the point is we have a lot of sick vets out there, who due to some bumfuck war or conflict we had no business being in, come home fried to the core barely able to count to two, and thus cant provide for themselves. we have no money for them, but yet we wage war like like i wage a twenty dollar bet on the winner of the Patriots/Dolphins game. blase, blase.

the real question is if these guys never went and fought bravely for their country, even regardless of the merits of the war, would they still now be panhandling on the I-95 ramp on Sheridan Rd? i dont know, but i have an idea.

Guest trancepriest

The government doesn't care... the people don't care. They cheer when the soldiers are fighting and turn their heads away when they are begging. They are only of any good when they are fighting in the ring.

Guest coach

Whoa! Clueless meter reading 100%! That was bad even for you, Shaun. How about just helping the guys out with their disabilities, physical and mental, that they received during combat so they CAN get a home and live a reasonably decent life?

Guest trancepriest
Whoa! Clueless meter reading 100%! That was bad even for you, Shaun. How about just helping the guys out with their disabilities, physical and mental, that they received during combat so they CAN get a home and live a reasonably decent life?

Dude don't you know that SS is a big supporter of the troops? Only when they are healthy gladiators for his entertainment though.

Guest pod

The way I figure it is that they need to be taken care of, since they get the short end of the stick salary-wise while in service. And by taking care of them outside, it helps them become productive citizens again. There's a long term benefit to putting an able body back into the workforce. Though their actual "war skills" might not be useful in say, real estate (maybe?), but the leadership and work ethic the military instills will make for a good worker.

Some of the people who work for us at the corporate level are ex-military and are our best workers.

Guest Dj_Peace

I actually volunteer my time and financially support several organizations providing support services to vets adn active soldiers. In the past when I owned my home in Chicago, I actually did provide housing for a retired Vietnam vet. I had a coach house on the property and in exchange for labor (basically yardwork and handyman stuff, I let him stay in the coach house until he was able to get himself together, i.e,. get thru the mega red-tape that was preventing him from going into a VA approved career training program after the company he was working for relocated overseas. ) I do not own a home of that size here in Florida as my condo is barely big enough to accomodate me and my family plus my mother-in-law.

Guest Mattivi
Dude don't you know that SS is a big supporter of the troops? Only when they are healthy athletes for his entertainment though.

yep, the troops are not unlike nfl atheletes, when their scoring symbolic TDs every warhawk loves them. but as soon as they are out the league because of mulitple concussions and the like, the league(govt) sweeps them into the proverbial dustbin of irrelavance without so much as a "thank you very much." its borderline criminal. but hey as long as the coffers of cheney and his gun club cronies are getting lined, its all good.

Guest trancepriest
yep, the troops are not unlike nfl atheletes, when their scoring symbolic TDs every warhawk loves them. but as soon as they are out the league because of mulitple concussions and the like, the league(govt) sweeps them into the proverbial dustbin of irrelavance without so much as a "thank you very much." its borderline criminal. but hey as long as the coffers of cheney and his gun club cronies are getting lined, its all good.

Even when they are healthy fighting wars... he only supports them by cheering.

Guest JMT
the real question is if these guys never went and fought bravely for their country, even regardless of the merits of the war, would they still now be panhandling on the I-95 ramp on Sheridan Rd? i dont know, but i have an idea.

that is a good point.

this also reminds me of how annoying it is though when you see a guy holding a sign saying he is a homeless vet, when he is not. i would be glad to offer a few bucks for a vet on the street, but i have been approached by a few and ocassionally asked about their service, and it's bullshit. they can't tell me a thing about vietnam, and would have to have been a little drummer boy based on their age.

Guest Mattivi
that is a good point.

this also reminds me of how annoying it is though when you see a guy holding a sign saying he is a homeless vet, when he is not. i would be glad to offer a few bucks for a vet on the street, but i have been approached by a few and ocassionally asked about their service, and it's bullshit. they can't tell me a thing about vietnam, and would have to have been a little drummer boy based on their age.

thats true John, there are a lot of bums out there faking the funk.

Guest slamminshaun

Where in the article were disabilities addressed? I'm only responding to the article, so don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. There's alot of VA benefits available, I thought that was what this thread was about, the financial plight of veterans.

If you want to discuss helping guys out who have mental issues, that's another story....my point was, normal people and even veterans can be lousy with money and end up in a rut, that's just the way of the world. Honoring veterans and simply bailing them out of financial trouble they caused themselves are not the same. Even my brother, a vet, knows he can't expect handouts each and every time he runs into trouble. If anything, the proud Marine in him will suck it up and push forward...