Darius Syrossian & Nyra

South America EP

54 Music - 54M0008

1. Tequila Gold

2. Montevideo

3. 1974

Out on Beatport 01.03.10

http;//www.54london.com/54music

54 Music's next outing comes in the form of a Latin American influenced EP from Steve Lawler's duo prodigy, Darius Syrossian & Nyra.

All 3 cuts are straight up dance-floor tools, infused with Latin rhythms and melodies and perfectly complementing each other to make this an essential EP for any DJ who is a fan of the Mannheim sound, conduicive to the sort of loopy, organic sets played by the likes of Nick Curly.

First up is Tequila Gold. The trumpet is the focal point here. As it's gradually introduced over the course of a few minutes, it meanders until the breakdown, where it is ultimately left to its own devices, improvising, twisting and turning, and taking the crowd along for the ride. The kick drum slams back in, bringing with it those spicy and percussive latin rhythms that have been embellishing the track throughout. This one's for those looking to bring the crowd to the next level with a huge breakdown.

'Montevideo' is the techiest track on the EP, focusing on the undulating, sub-bass rhythms, and punctuated with those familiar Latin American vocal snippets that decorate the whole EP whilst '1974' is more upfront, guaranteed to send the crowd wild with its loopy, filtered samples and latin percussion.

Tequila Gold

http://soundcloud.com/54music/darius-syrossian-nyra-tequila-gold

Montevideo

http://soundcloud.com/54music/darius-syrossian-nyra-montevideo

http://soundcloud.com/54music/darius-syrossian-nyra-1974

Feedback

Adam Shelton - Moodmusic/Playhouse

“Montevideo Has Been going down so well, solid track thank youâ€

Robbie Akbal – Supernature Recordings / Akbal Music

“Montevideo is my favourite … cool package of good grooves!!!â€

Alex – System Of Survival / Circoloco

“We like ‘1974’ very funkyâ€

Gregor Schonborn – Crowdpleaser

“1974: Efficient pumpin body action, will play this weekendâ€

Smokin Jo

“Montevideo is my fav and pretty rockin, will play and supportâ€

Arno – Einzelkind

“Will try Montevideoâ€

Alex Douat – Alex Dee (jetaime)

“1974 works for me, will chartâ€

Sonique

“I love them allâ€

Gwen Maze – Supernature

“I love Tequilaâ€

Klaus Spitzner – Prog City Records

“1974 and Montevideo are my favourite tracksâ€

Alejandro Vivanco – Cadenza / Supernature

“My favourite track is 1974… cool funky styleâ€

Julio Navas – Fresco Records / Irresistible

“â€Montevideo is for usâ€

Daniel Mehlhart - Kindisch / Karmarouge

“Montevideo Rocksâ€

David Keno – Morris Audio

“1974 is coolâ€

Sasse Lindblad – Freestyle Man / Mood music

“Montevideo will tryâ€

Alex Storrer – Lexx / Kawabata

“Montevideo is in the bag!! Thanks!!

Claire Ripley – Dessous / Phobic

“Tequila gold is the one for me here, thanks!â€

Grzegorz Demianczuk – 3 Channels / Crosstown Rebels

“Montevideo is the one for me! Thx!â€

Demi – Deeper Substance

“Tequila Gold is the pick of the bunch for meâ€

Luke Solomon – Freaks / Music For Freaks

“This has been going down a stormâ€

Alex Jones – Hypercolour / Turbo / Viva

“Montevideo has great drumsâ€

Daniel Schneider – Atl Recordings / Various

“Montevideo is greatâ€

Ante Perry – Systematic

“Montevideo kicks assâ€

Sebastian Roya - Conaisseur / Sender / Sounderground

“Montevideoâ€

Foolish Horse – 54 Music

“10/10! 3 Percussive delights! Good work boys. Will play.

Simon Morrell – Deep Down & Dirty

“Montevideo sounds familiar :) Loving the groove of this, will smash for sure!â€

Patrice Meiner – Kabuto & Koji (Supernature Recordings)

“Montevideo is my pick hereâ€

Ralph Lawson – 20:20 Vision / Back 2 Basics / 20:20 Soundsystem

“Man those are brightâ€

Chris Lattner – Einmaleins - Music / Moon Harbour

“Nice EP. Montevideo will get the cup! Dancefloor rocker… thxâ€

Kiko Navarro – Pacha / Loca FM

“1974 is the track for me, good disco vibes, I will play it, thanksâ€

Dragosh – Viva Music

“Ive played this EP many times! I cant choose a favourite track! Love the entire EPâ€

Alex Flitsch – Connaisseur Recordings

“Montevideo with the Paperclip People sample sounds interesting…

Rob Salmon – Yoshitoshi / Various

“Solid trax here, “Montevideo†for me. Supporting.

Jori Huikkonen

“Takes me back to the nineties… Love it.â€

Nic Fanciulli

“Downloadedâ€

Liz Cirelli – Miss Deckstress / House FM

“Love love love 1974!!!â€

Ivan Lacobucci – Smoke Joke Records

“3 Great Tracks! Tnx!

Damien Almira – Timid Boy

“Montevideo & 1974 are the ones for me thanks!!!

Darren Rock – Rocky / Xpress 2

“Nice Vibe here. Montevideo’s the one for me. Will play this week.â€

Carsten Schuchmann – Meat (Get Physical / Freebase)

“Good rollin house tracks! Like all 3!

Claudio Coccoluto – Various

“Really Solid House! Full Support!â€

Asle Bjorn – Full Blown / Size / CR2 / Yoshitoshi

“1974 has somethingâ€

Boris – Agnes / Ray Valioso (Perspectiv / Sthlm Audio)

“Montevideo is for me! Sure playâ€

Malk Loewen – Niveous/ Poker Flat / Karmarouge

“Tequila gold is great. Like it â€

James Teej – Rekids

“Liking the oldschool vibe on this release, 1974 is definitely the stand cut for meâ€

Livio & Roby – Viva

“Super cool thanksâ€

Osunlade – Yoruba

“Montevideo is a nice oneâ€

Ashley Beedle – Xpress 2 / Skint

“Its all about 1974. You can’t get away from a good disco record!â€

Death On The Balcony – Akbai Music / Various

“1974 is the one for us! Thanksâ€

Cenzo Scoglio – Mididropmusic

Nice work here… gotta a kinda oldschool Todd Terry thing going here… Montevideo & 1974 for me… Cheers…â€

Guest 54 Music

So... the first question would have to be about how you guys met?

Well Sandy Turnbull a DJ from Sheffield, and great guy, gave me a demo of Nyra’s to listen to as I run my own label called Breakoutaudio. I went onto sign the track and I was playing my own edit of it at Sankeys in August 2008 when a great friend and promoter from Sankeys at the time, Jon McManus, persuaded David Vincent the owner of Sankeys to let me play with Steve Lawler one night when Greg Vickers was away djing in Brazil, I played the track and Steve Lawler was immediately interested in signing it, he asked both me and Nyra to do a remix for his Livio & Roby release of ‘Return Of The Jack’ on VIVa. That led to us being signed exclusively to Steve Lawler’s label. So it’s a combination of fate and also thanks to Sandy & Jon really that we had been given the opportunity to prove to Steve Lawler who gave us the chance to get ourselves out there and be heard.

How does it work in the studio between the two of you?

Well we both use completely different methods of production. I am very old skool using hardware and old skool software, Nyra uses reason, but we both discuss what style we are gonna work on, then we find elements we wanna work with and one will work on the bass, the other on drums and the lead, then we sit and sequence together. It can get fiery but believe me I wouldn’t have it any other way, being passionate about anything always gets you the best results

Where is the best country you have visited to DJ?

There are so many great crowds out there, Moscow was amazing, but Toronto in Canada had a great clued up scene!

How was 2009 for the two of you?

Amazing, we travellled abroad to dj about ten times, we signed tracks to loads of top labels, we hit beatport top 10 a couple of times, was asked by Nic Fanciulli to do a guestmix for his worldwide sounds show, got remix request after remix request and have had so many people we would have never otherwise been in contact with from around the world contact us on Myspace and Facebook saying how much they love our music. Its all about the music, and that makes it worthwhile, to hear Steve Lawler praise us is fantastic too, I spoke with Steve last week and he said he mentioned us in 3 interviews on that day alone, so things couldn’t be better really. We have also signed two tracks to Lauhaus & Kabale's new label called WeDig.Music that will start in a couple of months

What do you think we should look forward to in 2010?

With regards to what? Us as a duo? Well we are playing in Miami Winter Music Conference at the massive VIVa party, plus looks like we will be doing a festival in Amsterdam over the summer, and loads more gigs wise, production wise. To follow our top ten Beatport hit ‘Luis Conte’ we have just done a remix for VIVa that will be out soon, we are remixing Paolo Mojo for Noir music, plus we have stuff coming out on American Blockhead recordings as well as loads more stuff.

What are your biggest 3 tracks of the last year?

Sorry no way we can answer this question, too many good tracks, Horacio, Mihai Popoviciu, Lauhaus, Julien Chaptal, and many many more producers out there have been knocking out amazing tracks, was a great year. Finally seeing the end of that nonsense minimal ketamine music and bringing back REAL house music, so cant just name three tracks, we could give you 20 top tracks of 2009 and still that wouldn’t cover the great tracks of 2009.

What do you both still aspire to?

To be happy doing what we do, its not about being a superstar, happiness isn’t measured by fame or money, its about being happy and getting to do what you are passionate about. That’s the attitude we apply when we make music or DJ and its what makes us get great results, but its not something you can force, that attitude has to come from the heart, some people don’t understand that and want the fame and money first and they will never be happy and I guess music is an art form and comes from the heart so I hope our attitude comes out in our music

How has your sound developed?

House music house music house music! Keep it house music and don’t follow trends, that’s the best way to develop, house music evolves but the main core of it should stay house music and its only when you jump on a bandwagon and follow trends that you will end up being pigeon holed when that ‘trend’ gets a backlash. Good house music from 1995 still features in our sets, that’s how we work and its great we are on the same wavelength otherwise I guess it wouldn’t work.

They say two’s company, three is a crowd but if someone else were to join you in the studio who would it be?

Any live musician who we can work with and add a real element to our music. We would write the music and they would play it. As for other producers there are loads we would like to do a one off with, collaborations are great

How did you get involved in Viva Music?

As I said before, I was playing at sankeys in august 2008 when a great friend and promoter from sankeys at the time Jon McManus persuaded David Vincent the owner of sankeys to let me play with Steve Lawler one night when the resident Greg Vickers was away djing in Brazil, I played a great set before Steve and his tour manager said that was one of the best sets anyone has played for a while before Steve comes on Then I also played my own edit of Nyra’s tongue track on breakoutaudio, Steve loved it and asked for the cd, he played it at space in Ibiza the following day and then emailed saying can we do a remix similar for the Livio & Roby track Return Of The Jack’ on VIVa. Steve Lawler loved that too and then asked us for an original. It was our osasuna and karaj tracks, that he absolutely loved. Then Steve called to say the new VIVa was ready to go but we had just made it in time to be the very last artists to be offered a contract on the label as exclusive artists, so it was great timing.

Are you guys going to Miami this year?

Yes we play 3 gigs out there, the biggest being VIVa Music @ Space MIAMI WMC 2010Thurs 25th March, the line up is insane!

Steve LAWLER / M.A.N.D.Y / Tiefschwarz / Radioslave

Joris Voorn / Timo Mass / Mathias Tanzmann / Hugo

2000 & One / Konrad black / David K / ME & Nyra

Leon / Sean Miller

Then we also play a secret villa party with Lauhaus, Kabale Und Liebe, Coyu and loads more! And then another gig is almost finalised! Its gonna be great to play with so many top DJ’s at such good parties

Any hobbies away from music?

I paint a lot, I have sold a few paintings and when i as younger I won a national competition coming first with over 27,000 entries. I am also really passionate about food and cooking. I also love sport, playing tennis and football, its really hard to fit it all in but life is never boring! Nyra loves snowboarding and when he can goes away to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 54 Music

https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/content/release/detail/226522/south_america_ep

More Feedback -

Radio plays on Kiss100, Pulse radio, Proton Radio, Dinamo FM, Ibiza Global Radio and Radio Fg.

Rocky – Xpress 2

“Very nice. I think I like Tequila Gold the best.â€

Anil Chawla - MoS Radio / London

5/5

“Montevideo sounds excellent, full support. 1974 is cool too.â€

Andrew Grant – DC10

“5 Starsâ€

Raymundo Rodriguez - Jaded/Various

5/5

“I'm really digging this whole ep, definite plays for all 3 “

Peter Christianson - LawnChair Generals

5/5

“nice track jams, sure to work for me.â€

Da Sunlounge – MYNA Music / Bambino

Feeling the vibe on Montevideo. will support this in my sets.. thanks.

Santiago Deep – Various

“Great release 1974 for meâ€

Jay West - Candy Music

“really diggin "montevideo", will def support, thanxâ€

Andrea Ferlin - Sleep is Commercial Records

4/5

“very nice release!!! Montevideo is the one for meâ€

Tyler Stadius - Proton & Dinamo FM

4/5

“Real party rockers here. Montevideo's rough & ready funk does it for me.â€

Dan Sykes – Spinsoutwest / VIVa

“Tequila gold love the rythm, all round good Ep will playâ€

JEAN JEROME - FG DJ RADIO

“Old school in da place...remind me some Dj Sneak's classics tracks! Love it!â€

Humantronic - Neopren Records

4/5

‘That's cool tracks , will play them ! montevideo my favorite. Thanks’

Electronation – Various

4/5

“Tequila Gold is great!â€

Aleks Patz - Rawthentic Music / Parquet Recordings

“I'm feeling 'Tequila Gold' & '1974', nice old-school tech house vibe. Will play!â€

Jose Maria Ramon / Ibiza Global Radio / Space Ibiza Official

5/5

“Great EP ;) SURE PLAY ON iBIZA gLOBAL radioâ€

Bryan Jones

4/5

“Montevideo is pretty cool. not the normal stuff I play but I think I can fit that one in my setsâ€

Chris Udoh - Philadelphia / Various

5/5

“Nice Ep Tequila Gold is Tightâ€

Jason Hodges

5/5

“Sick party jackers,will def support!â€

Dylan Mutiny - Sunflower Recs

“Like the 1974 and the idea in generalâ€

Kevin Over

5/5

“Montevideo....killer!â€

Gel Abril

“3 cool tools here downloadâ€

Jimmy Posters - Pulse Radio / Berlin

5/5

“1974 is pushing all the right buttons for me.â€

Paolo Mojo -Various

5/5

“Im a huge fan of darius and nyra... loving all their recent stuff and this is no exception. tequila gold the pick for me but in truth, would play all three of these. great release!!â€

Eelke Kleijn - Outside the Box / Global Underground

“Montevideo is a funky little monsterâ€

Jon Gurd

4/5

“1974 sounds nice, thanks!â€

Matt Masters – Various / Freerange Records Radio Show

4/5

“Liking Montevideo on this one guysâ€

DJ SPEN

“KILLER!!!â€

Roby – Livio & Roby

4/5