Clubplanet Nightlife Community

JULY MIX OF THE MONTH & TOP 20

djamnfx

As some of you may know, July 17 is the Pioneers of House Music Day. While the holiday was a ploy made up by Mayor Daley to drum up votes, I still choose to accept it, embrace it, and celebrate it as dance music's first holiday. Heck, it's 21 years after the fact, and now dance music has gotten stronger than ever!

The July Mix of the Month is a blend of a lot of New York's old school house. When I got a chance to see the Big Apple in the last year, I was fascinated to see how their scene never really worshipped DJ International, Chicago Trax, and all the labels that came out of Barney's Records like we in Chicago did. Back in their day, New York was all over big names like Todd Terry, Junior Vasquez, Clivilies and Cole as well as forgotten names like 2 In A Room, Richie Rich, and Two Without Hats. Some of you may not be as fascinated by this as I was, but the mix still contains a lot of favorites from back in the day. The Top 20 contains the twenty old school records I call my all time favorites, spanning from house to electro-funk to disco.

MIX OF THE MONTH - Listen (Windows Media)

D-Jam's Top 20 Old School Favorites (July 2001)

1. Rock To The Beat - Reese - KMS - Listen
  2. Work My Body - House Gang - IHR - Listen
  3. Energy Flash - Joey Beltram - Transmat - Listen
  4. Voodoo Ray - A Guy Called Gerald - Warlock - Listen
  5. Blue Monday - New Order - Qwest - Listen
  6. Acid Thunder - Fast Eddie - DJ International - Listen
  7. Apache - The Incredible Bongo Band - Strut - Listen
  8. A Day In The Life - Black Riot - Fourth Floor - Listen
  9. Good Life - Inner City - Virgin - Listen
  10. Confusion - New Order - Streetwise - Listen
  11. Let's Start The Dance - Bohannon - Mercury - Listen
  12. It Is What It Is - Rhythm Is Rhythm - Transmat - Listen
  13. Change On Me - Cynthia - Micmac - Listen
  14. Frantic Situation - Soul Sonic Force & Shango - Atlantic - Listen
  15. I Feel Love - Donna Summer - Casablanca - Listen
  16. Tour De France - Kraftwerk - EMI - Listen
  17. Stand By Me - Julian "Jumpin" Perez - DJ International - Listen
  18. Grand Piano - The Mixmaster - Blanco Y Negro - Listen
  19. One Way Love - TKA - Tommy Boy - Listen
  20. Hardcore Heaven - DJ Seduction - FFRR - Listen
    [/list=a]

<A HREF="/cgi-bin/redir.cgi?url=http://www.d-jam.com" TARGET=_blank> djamfooter.gif </A>

Much respect.

As for Daley, at least he has done it. And at least Frankie Knuckles was given a life time achievment award at last years Chicago music awards.

It's nice to see a city respecting, responding and rewarding such an amazing phenominon and it's peers.

House music forever.

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

b2b6.GIF

Oh just on the Chicago NY thing.

I am VERY in to all the old school flavor. I love the history.

But here is why i think there is a difference. I am sure people who love the scene respect both the NY sound and the Chicago. But they are two different sounds.

In NY the Paradise garage sound was the underground, with the Studio 54 disco oriented deal phasing out.

With the big disco backlash in Chicago it forced that sound underground and ... then there was house, jack had a groove etc.

But in NY Todd Terry, Mr. Vega, Kenny Dope etc were pushing a more soulful gospel sound than what was being pushed here. Until recently the big staple of NY house have remained on the soulful (more garage tip). Where as Chicago house had more jack, more funk.

So although they are similar and both fantastic, they are different. And again until recently they have followed a very similar line for over a decade. With Chicago taking a slightly harder house flavor and NY embracing a more progressive sound.

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

b2b6.GIF