Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Why is NY's scene inferior to Europe's?

I guess by better means the feeling you get after the night of experiences, on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong, I've had incredible nights in NY, as has anyone. But over there, it just seems to happen more often becasue of the vibe.

When I came home from London, everyone wanted to know how it was. I tried to explain it, but really couldn't. And then I finally put my finger on it. Remember how it was when you were being told what it felt like to be on acid, e, whatever... and you really couldn't understand. And then you tried it and knew exactly what that person was talking about. That's how it is in London. And that's probably why I'm having such a hard time putting my feelings into words, sorry. Its just so hard to explain.

------------------

Keep it movin'!

Corporate

More people who are really into the music=more innovation, new styles, and less cheese. Don't get the wrong idea, the UK is really the exception. Most of the rest of Europe plays cheesy radio trance, painful industrial techno, or very commercial pop house. People in the UK are really into good music though. It's very popular but still not commercial in a way because it's popular to not be commercial. And most places in London dropped dress codes and have a simple door policy. They ask you why did you come, and if you say to hear the DJ and name him you're in. If you say something like, "I came to party" no chance. Thus only people who come for the music and know what it's about get in, not the most fashionable.

BTW, interesting stat I saw the other day. In 1999 turntable sets outsold guitars in Europe by more than 3 to 1.

As much as some complain, I would still say that among major cities, New York as the best non-UK club scene, with Berlin being the only one that could challenge that.

JohnB

------------------

i m not gonna say NY clubs are 'interior' to european clubs in general but european clubs contain much better looking women and fancier decorations..not to mention cleaner bathrooms.

------------------

I don't necessarily believe that the NY scene is behind, its just different. London clubs in particular are still very strict as to whom they let in their clubs, like the way NY used to be back in the 54 days. And the people in London don't go to a club to get trashed, they really do go for the music. DJ's over their are like US rock stars. They are idolized, and more mainstream. When's the last time you went to a club in NY, Philly, etc... and didn't see someone fall-out. I was over there for a while and I never saw it, except once, and she was a tourist.

I love the music hear, even better than in Europe. Personally for me, the music over there isn't hard enough. But then again, the vibe and people there make it better. And no matter how good the music is, if the vibe is negative and the scene sucks, you can't escape it. I'm not sure what needs to be done, but I'll just keep going out until something does.

------------------

Keep it movin'!

Corporate

I'm going to have to agree with everything cholo_40 has to say about the topic...It's the vibe!! People over there are entirely more into the music and the scene...The most important fact is the DJ being treated as a superstar...I had the opportunity to hang out with Judge Jules and John Kelly one night and they were really treated like rock stars, it was unbelievable...I don't want to put down the NYC scene though, I party here and still have a blast, but it doesn't compare to the UK...

------------------

I'm going to have to agree with everything cholo_40 has to say about the topic...It's the vibe!! People over there are entirely more into the music and the scene...The most important fact is the DJ being treated as a superstar...I had the opportunity to hang out with Judge Jules and John Kelly one night and they were really treated like rock stars, it was unbelievable...I don't want to put down the NYC scene though, I party here and still have a blast, but it doesn't compare to the UK...

------------------

I AGREE WITH MOST OF YOU ON THE VIBE AND CREDABILITY OF THE DJ'S. THE MUSIC IS GOOD HERE AND OVER THERE THOUGH. I THINK I DEPENDS ON YOUR MOOD AND TASTE. WE CERTAINLY HAVE BETTER MUSIC IN SOME ASPECTS THAT THEY DON'T, AND VISE VERSA. I KNOW PEEPS WHO HATE THE MUSIC OVER THERE AND SOME THAT LOVE IT. IT DEPENDS IF YOU LIKE TRANCE MORE, EXPERIMENTAL, GARAGE, VOCAL HOUSE OR DEEP PROGRESSIVE STUFF ETC...BUT ONE THING IS FOR SURE, THE GIRLS ARE NOT BETTER OVER HERE UNLESS YOU STROLL INTO HOLLAND OR BELGIUM, BUT ENGLAND OR GERMANY, BARF!

------------------

I think the other thing is choice, because there is so much money in it there are a huge number of clubs. I cannot agree with the comments on "the music is not as hard etc" as if you don't like the music there is always another club down the road where you will.

By the way I wouldn't hang out with Judge Jules if you paid me, he is one of the worst DJ's I have ever known. He is the commercial king, and has nearly wrecked the scene in the UK (not single handedly but with people like Pete Tong, and Dave Pearce the BBC radio 1 team). Coming into clubs and playing the exact same set as the previous DJ because he wasn't there for his set.

Also, because of the popularity now many of the small labels are minting it in from the but commercial tunes. The money is been put back into new talent, something which the EMI's and Sony's of this world haven't done for some time now.

------------------

i dont believe we are inferior i think we have a pretty strong scene here.we also have some amazing djs who drop mind-blowing sets in some sick clubs. we also have real shitty djs who drop sets that will make you puke. and i know they have great and shitty djs too. i think its different because it caught on a lot quicker there.thats quantity not quality.

------------------

i dont believe we are inferior i think we have a pretty strong scene here.we also have some amazing djs who drop mind-blowing sets in some sick clubs. we also have real shitty djs who drop sets that will make you puke. and i know they have great and shitty djs too. i think its different because it caught on a lot quicker there.thats quantity not quality.

------------------

B/C's NYC clubs are turning into absolute trash. There is such a thing as a door policy and it seems to be going down the drain. Also, im sorry but there is too much mingling between the clubs. In europe, there is a seperation between clubs, if you want to go to a certain type of club, there are certain type of people there and you dont have to deal with people you ordinarolly wouldnt hang out with. And they are definantly a place with door polocies.

------------------