Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Interesting article on trance in Ibiza

Guest danmoro

Guest danmoro

Trance dying off in Ibiza clubs?

Dennis Romero, Managing Editor

Tuesday, May 30, 2000 03:27 PM

The backlash continues as Ibizan club stops the trance train

Just when you thought the anti-trance crusade was cooling off, some club promoters in the party capital of Ibiza, Spain have decided that there's already enough trance on this "white island" that helped start the rave phenomenon more than 10 years ago.

British superclub Godskitchen, which is holding weekly nights at Ibiza's Amnesia venue, has decided to book hard house DJs instead of traditional trance jocks. Resident DJs are to include hard housers Fergie and Lisa Lashes. Hard house is the fast, shuffling four-on-the-floor house sound that grew out of the UK's gay club scene.

"After studying the competition in Ibiza we feel that a change is needed," Godskitchen promoter Tyrone DeSavrey told the UK's dancesite. "Following the huge success that Lisa and Fergie have received in the UK, we feel that the hard house route is the way to go."

Ironically, Godskitchen has branded and released a CD compilation in the UK that includes - you guessed it - trance from the likes of Chicane and Sander Kleinenberg.

Meanwhile, superstar DJ Sasha (pictured above), one of the first and foremost jocks to turn his back on trance, recently told dancesite that it's not all bad: "It's all good if records are successful and break through. That helps dance music to break in other areas. Even though I might not like lots of those records and find them cheesy, as long as people are doing well on the dance scene, it's only going to generate more interest from everywhere." (Quote courtesy of dancesite).

see sasha's right on top of it. its NOT trance thats cheesy, its these formulated tracks with their cheese synths and basic format that artists are flooding us with that are bad. i can assure you that on any latenight, sasha plays some tracks with trance elements which are really wellproduced pieces of music. so people need to understand that the trance genre as a whole will not die, but the cheese will get weeded out, which is exactly what we all want. even all the pvd fans know that he used to play a lot of that 'candy trance' a while back, but now his selection has improved, playing darker, harder, more intricate tracks which still fall under the trance genre. i am totally excited that these djs are not just blindly turning their back on trance, but rather refining their selections. kudos to the artists and djs who keep it real!

------------------

HARD HOUSE BABY!!! THATS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT...THE NRG&INTENSITY ...DON'T GET ME WRONG I LOVE TRANCE ...BUT HOUSE IS BLOWING UP REAL BIG IN EUROPE & THE STATES ....BOOMtssBOOMtssBOOMtss "..YA GOTTA HAVE ....HOUSE.... MUSIC...ALL.. NITE LONG"

>PEP<

------------------

back2basic,

I'm heading over to Ibiza for 10 days from July 7th to July 17th. I know that we're catching DJs such as PVD, Seb Fontaine, Guy Ornadel, S&D, Oaky, Judge Jules ect. ect. I'll let you know when I get back if trance is dead in Ibiza.

Okay?

BlueAngel

Originally posted by back2basics:

Thanks for posting this, i think you have just settled an argument for me.

Blueangle take note.

------------------

Music is the language of souls . . .

Ooohh . . okay, thanks for the info on San Antonio and the clubs. I'll definately go and check out Bora-Bora. =)

As far as I know we're staying at a hotel called Los Molinos in Figuertas. Any clue where that might be in Ibiza?? I know it's definately not San Antonio.

In regard to the article . . whay are we now talking about Gatecrasher and the kids there?

BlueAngel

San an is where all the kids stay it's horrible. Try to stay north of the island, near Pacha, the only clubs your massively away from are Es-Paradise, and the beach bars like Mambo,Cafe Del Mar etc.

If you go to space, when you leave (if it's after 8) cross the road and go to the beach. It's a club on the Beach called Bora-Bora one of the best parties the Island.

Oh and hang out down Mambo a few days, you should find out about the perfecto parties (free parties in the hills run by Oaky).

By the way and email I just got from a friend-

Gatecrasher is becoming a bit of a parody anyway...

loads of articles about the Crasher Kids, etc... and how "so not in" that is

now... things are going full circle again and people are getting back into

the music for the music... I think it's every couple of years... in between

you get a new bunch of kids who will listen to any old shite...

------------------

your ok with Figuertas it's near Ibiza town, which is North.

Manumission is great too but it may be a little crap that time of the year.

Wasn't just talking about Gatecrasher, it's just that the only place they play Trance in the UK... i keep telling you ;-)

Anyway dont be taking your glow sticks

over :-o

------------------

Not be taking my glowsticks over?? Are you nuts?? I can't dance without my lights!! hehehe.

And I KEEP telling you that I have CD's of live mixes at Home and Cream that has trance!! BOY, you're a tough one to crack!! =)

BlueAngel

your ok with Figuertas it's near Ibiza town, which is North.

Manumission is great too but it may be a little crap that time of the year.

Wasn't just talking about Gatecrasher, it's just that the only place they play Trance in the UK... i keep telling you ;-)

Anyway dont be taking your glow sticks

over :-o

------------------

No you will be ok with them most places over there, probably better in San An:-)

What ever you do dont take them to Pacha!!

Oh and remember to chear the planes in at Space, surley one of the best bits of Ibiza!

Oh the memories - or the lack of them.

Is it the first time for you?

------------------

Yep, this is acutally my first time visiting Ibiza. I wanted to go last summer but the plans got torn apart. Such pitty cause I heard it was incredible last year and probably Ibiza's best. =(

The thing that I don't quite understand is that . .. I was under the assumption that there was an area where all the clubs are located. But I guess they're spreaded out? What clubs are where? Particularly Pacha, Amnesia, Space, El Paradis, El Devino, and Club Eden? Are these clubs close together or really separated apart? And are they anywhere near Figuertas?

I'm asking you cause you seem to be the expert in Ibiza. =)

BlueAngel

No you will be ok with them most places over there, probably better in San An:-)

What ever you do dont take them to Pacha!!

Oh and remember to chear the planes in at Space, surley one of the best bits of Ibiza!

Oh the memories - or the lack of them.

Is it the first time for you?

------------------

Ok what your best bet is:-

Mambo & Cafe Del Mar are two beach bars in San An. Most of the people in the know hang out here, you will be able to pick up free Magazines down there that will tell you what's going on etc. You will also be able to buy tickets but more importantly meet people who can get you into the free parties which are usually best. Taxi driver will now where mambo is so just hop in get them to take you first time they are hard to find.

If your wanting stimulants, go down stairs in Cafe Del Mar, to the toilets, it's your safest bet.

It's a great place to warm up, most people go and what the sunset and buy there tickets at Mambo etc. What it with the tickets some people will be charging $50 for entrance to the big clubs but some will be charging $20 so it may be best to go to one of the small bars round the corner from Mambo as they will be cheaper.

Right

Pacha - North of the Ireland fairly near where your staying

Amnesia - On the road between north and south it's in the middle, Taxi job.

Space - Mid to south end, again get a taxi there not that expensive.

Es Paradise - San An you will easily be able to find this place, it's the glass pyramid right in the bay.

I wouldn't even bother with Eden but it's right next door to Es Paradise.

But the best is Privilege it's in the middle again near Amnesia. But it's the most amazing club you will ever see. 10,000 people a night, the whole bottom floor is a swimming pool, 100 foot waterfall, and the most amazing 100 foot windows overlooking the sea. You have to go to a Manumission party while you are there.

That's about it really, they always say the last year was the best by the way. It was good though!! But for me the best time was when open air clubs were legal, the closest thing you get now is Space & Bora-Bora.

I fully expect you to come back and have do the 24 hour space/Bora-Bora stint you haven't got your clubbing wings unless you have.

------------------

Blueangel,

I'm leaving on the 8th. Maybe we could catch up for your first/my last day there.

And Basics,

I know the closing parties are the best, but I am moving back to New York on the 18th, so this is my last chance without a trip across the ocean. If you've got some friends there I would greatly appreciate any hookups. At least I will catch the opening of Home at Space with Danny on my second day! cool.gif

JohnB

------------------

Wow! Thanks for the club info. Let me cut and past that somewhere.

YES SIR! I WILL DO THE 24 HOUR SPACE/BORA BORA, SIR!! =)

BlueAngel

Ok what your best bet is:-

Mambo & Cafe Del Mar are two beach bars in San An. Most of the people in the know hang out here, you will be able to pick up free Magazines down there that will tell you what's going on etc. You will also be able to buy tickets but more importantly meet people who can get you into the free parties which are usually best. Taxi driver will now where mambo is so just hop in get them to take you first time they are hard to find.

If your wanting stimulants, go down stairs in Cafe Del Mar, to the toilets, it's your safest bet.

It's a great place to warm up, most people go and what the sunset and buy there tickets at Mambo etc. What it with the tickets some people will be charging $50 for entrance to the big clubs but some will be charging $20 so it may be best to go to one of the small bars round the corner from Mambo as they will be cheaper.

Right

Pacha - North of the Ireland fairly near where your staying

Amnesia - On the road between north and south it's in the middle, Taxi job.

Space - Mid to south end, again get a taxi there not that expensive.

Es Paradise - San An you will easily be able to find this place, it's the glass pyramid right in the bay.

I wouldn't even bother with Eden but it's right next door to Es Paradise.

But the best is Privilege it's in the middle again near Amnesia. But it's the most amazing club you will ever see. 10,000 people a night, the whole bottom floor is a swimming pool, 100 foot waterfall, and the most amazing 100 foot windows overlooking the sea. You have to go to a Manumission party while you are there.

That's about it really, they always say the last year was the best by the way. It was good though!! But for me the best time was when open air clubs were legal, the closest thing you get now is Space & Bora-Bora.

I fully expect you to come back and have do the 24 hour space/Bora-Bora stint you haven't got your clubbing wings unless you have.

------------------

John, I will get intouch with here find out when she is over and which bars/clubs she will be working at. I will post a separate message when I find out. She will be ticketing so she will totally sort you out (especially that time of the year).

Blue & John

there are VIP tickets available for most clubs, they do give you a different insight into the whole thing, so keep an eye out. We were talking to Keith & Ronnie from the rolling stone last year. You will also get to meet the DJ's if you get ones for Space / Privilege but these are HARD to get. This girl (Carrie) will sort you out with those, if your nice to her that is.

if you enjoy this year (which you will i am sure), really do try the closing parties they kick ass on the normal nights, and you get a real idea of the real clubber in the UK.

You do know all this talk has cost me a couple of thousand dollars. I wasn't going this year but I am now!

------------------

I keep forgetting things.. sorry to go on but these things are important.

The price of drinks in clubs is stupid. $8-$15 dollars a drink, in some places water is $8. When you go to privilege, take a bag with you with a towel in and a few bottle of champagne (or whatever) underneath. They are ok with you taking the bag in as everybody goes swimming.

------------------

Well you had the option, next year get there in Sept.. I promise it will blow you away.

No probs John, I am trying to get a magazine I sometime write for to let me write a freelance article on Twilo / The current scene in NY (the latter is pushing it a little!). So if I do I will need interviewee's, that would be the perfect favor.

------------------

Back,

So you'll be there for the closing parties eh? Well, try to be there for Labor day weekend. Sept 3rd is an amazing line-up at Space. If I don't make it in August, I sure as hell am going to try for the 'Tyrant' party. Don't know if that's your thing but Craig & Lee are both amazing djs and the shit they spin is nothing but top notch funk.

To those that are going... Try to be down with the locals. If they like you, they'll tell you the lowdown on the coolest parties on the island. We're talking about the ones without flyers and promotors. Just word of mouth. They're usually in the middle of nowhere but don't let that fool you. It is an experience of a lifetime. Put the 'Space' and 'Pacha' clubscene on ice for a bit and check out one of those 'hill' parties.

easy

------------------

back2basic,

Thanks for all the info . . . I really appreciate your help. And any other helpful hints will also be appreciated. How do I get my hands on these VIP tickets and how much do they usually cost? Who is Carrie and how do I meet her? And what do you mean by "nice"?

As for the drinks, I'm not much of a alcohol drinker so no spending money there. =) I guess I can't really do anything about the water since that is a necessity.

If you ever need anyone to interview for that Twilo article . . . I know some real Twilo freaks and regulars (including myself). =)

Again, thanks for all your helpful tips.

BlueAngel

------------------

Don't waste your time and see Oakey and Jules. Seems to me that they need some reinventing to do. Just beware of all the pissheads that follow these djs.

I urge you to go to Pacha and Space. Probably the best coubs in the world in terms of crowd and looks. Just unreal! I'll be going in August during peak season. Can't wait to check out all the pretty birds out there...

Stay away from San Antonio!

------------------

Blue,

dont worry i can tell you:-)

Judge jules.... why?

And July .... why?

August - September closing parties, your just going to be inundated with messed up Britich kids. Closing parties my dear are what it's all about.... 9 th year this summer trust me.

By the way if you are going, i know somebody at Mambo who will give you bottom prices on VIP tickets for all the big nights that Mambo are selling tickets for (which is just about all of them).

By the way have you been to Bora-Bora?

------------------

To tell you the truth . . . I didn't like Oaky when he was here at Roxy the last time, but I figure I want to go see as many DJs as possible while I'm there. And Oaky is spinning at Pacha. As for Judge Jules, I really don't listen to him either and will probably end up going to Space to check out S&D, Steve Lawler and Jason Bye. Whether it's a good DJ or bad, I just wanna check out all of them. =)

Thanks for the advice on San Antonio . . . is there a particular reason why?

BlueAngel

Originally posted by Nolimit:

Don't waste your time and see Oakey and Jules. Seems to me that they need some reinventing to do. Just beware of all the pissheads that follow these djs.

I urge you to go to Pacha and Space. Probably the best coubs in the world in terms of crowd and looks. Just unreal! I'll be going in August during peak season. Can't wait to check out all the pretty birds out there...

Stay away from San Antonio!

------------------

San an is where all the kids stay it's horrible. Try to stay north of the island, near Pacha, the only clubs your massively away from are Es-Paradise, and the beach bars like Mambo,Cafe Del Mar etc.

If you go to space, when you leave (if it's after 8) cross the road and go to the beach. It's a club on the Beach called Bora-Bora one of the best parties the Island.

Oh and hang out down Mambo a few days, you should find out about the perfecto parties (free parties in the hills run by Oaky).

By the way and email I just got from a friend-

Gatecrasher is becoming a bit of a parody anyway...

loads of articles about the Crasher Kids, etc... and how "so not in" that is

now... things are going full circle again and people are getting back into

the music for the music... I think it's every couple of years... in between

you get a new bunch of kids who will listen to any old shite...

------------------

You mean like this?? (look below) that's because instead of replying to the posting, I'm replying to you. The bold text was YOUR posting and the non-bold is my reply to YOU. Get it? Got it? Good!

BlueAngel

Originally posted by Nolimit:

Hey Blue,

See. Im not going nutz. Look above this thread. Part of your messages are in BOLD. Why is that??

------------------