Clubplanet Nightlife Community

MUSIC VS. MUSIC

this is my best explanation hard to explain stuff if you are me and work on computers all day, and you don't know how to use words that are not compiled or rendered.

for the most part i put a brief explanation. and then a couple of artist for you to go onto napster and download. peace out yo.

-glynis

thing you gotta see is that. . .

electronic music is just like any other music, just because it is played with an "electronic" doesn't mean it is all the same. just because eddie van halen and andres segovia both play guitar it does not mean they play the same kind of music.

but i will answer to the best of my ability

trance = probly the most musical of the listed. music has a kinda melow beat and is very melodic. takes you on a journey. derived from wierd places like india and shit, depending on type of trance. examples to pick up sasha and digweed; x-dream.

house = old as shit; it has that disco spin. soulfull and happy. popular soul classics set to a quick hard beat. check out - basement jaxx or dt

hard house = take the soul out of house; and add other silly samples, hip hop, or whatever. but most important make the beat fucking bang. check out bbb, and housaholics.

progressive house = mainstream but ok sometimes. like a mix of trance anthem like melodic stuff and a hard house beat. check out razor and guido or webster hall cd's.

jungle = has a breakbeat like drum and base. long loud bass notes. does not hit like other shit. rythym comes from the snare sound. which is real choppy. most different from what i listed. big hip hop flave. check out, dj lace, aphrodite.

hardcore = most comes from gabba. it is loud fast and pissed off. sometimes breakbeats and speedmetal. check out rog g and lenny d.

happy hardcore = a hardcore beat with female vocals and other happy shit. fast as all hell and bright. comes from the original sound of underground london raves. check out annabolic frolics happy2bhardcore shit.

techno = also old as all hell. the original sound of the underground scene.phat hard beats and funny sounds and melodies; that build and layer on top of eachother. check out space girl, frankie bones, adam x.

------------------

• 3 weeks later...
Guest clubkid77

Bad Boy Bill, and house o' Holics

to many they are "chicago house"

to some that IS "hard house" then there are the people who think what fergie in the uk is doin is hard house, some people even think DT is hard house. I dont subscribe to the latter. To me the "Hard House" is the chicago, stuff. Its hard bouncy, choppy, usualy cut up, its like slow gabba. But the beat is still a house beat, its in the house bpm range, and 4x4, it just has some faster stuff layered in and usualy some kick snare. Its an oldschool mentality to think that house needs to have "soul" To me that house music is the "Afro-Beat" and Disco house stuff. Most of the old schoolers and purists only concider this to be house music, but i disagree. The world is changing, and so is music, i mean if you went by old school mentality's the only "Rock and Roll" would be the stuff yer parents listened to in 1950's But that isn't so.

when I think of chicago house, I think of Paul Johnson's "get get down."

Houseoholics' "chopped up beats" are the most simplistic sounds possible for a song. I would think anyone in chicago would want to be known for a lil more creativity.

I'm not old school at all, but house still but house needs to have some sort of soul.

thunk thunk thunk is just so boring

Guest clubkid77

House doesn't need soul...

besides, Techno killed the soul.

"James Brown IS DEAD!"

ha ha ha ha ha ha

Who cares about names?

Ok house doesn't need soul to be house but it needs it to be good.

Techno didn't kill the soul, Techno can have soul (Model500 for example, Laurent Garnier even Aphex Twin sometimes)

Anyway any soulless pumpin' techno is a thousand time better than this thump thump thump hard house sh*t. (Rally is going to slap me soon for saying things which are not "to each his own")

Mainstream is killing the soul in house...

Plur,

Joël S.

(Long live James Brown)

Good topic. I can see that everyone isn't on the same page when it comes to different genres and sub-genres of music.

The bottom line. Good music is good music.

One more thing.. Razor & Guido do not play progressive house. They play domestic cheese.

The crap that bbb and houseoholics play is not house. House has soul, hard house has none. In fact teh sould is what basically separates house from teh other genres. They play stuff that is "hard," but it is not house. It is hardly musical either. Very simple stuff, very formulaic. 2 words: off beat.

razor and guido is not progressive house. "Progressive" means that the melodies progress, and they do none of that.

Jungle and durm and bass: The rhythm comes from everything. The bassline in all music has a rhythm.

The hardcore you have mentioned is jsut nyc speedcore. There are many flavors of hardcore: trancecore, noisecore, etc. hardcore does not need to be at 180-200 bpm. It can be jsut as aggressive and angry at even 80 bpm.

Space girl as techno? She produces acid trance. Check out Juan atkins, trevor rockliffe, kevin saundersen, richie hawtin, jeff mills, underground resistance, etc for some techno.

I don't blame you for thinking this way. The massive raves of nyc are full of nothing and a lot of miseducation is swung around

yes, music is definitely something that we won't all agree with- and on top of that, as long as are bobbin our heads in approval, what does it matter what category it falls under? someone mentioned before that house is dead, but that's a bit of generalization.

overall, i enjoy chicago house music because it is fast, bass-y, and fun. it may not be all that original all the time (and other times it may be), but nothing beats hearing chicago house, when you are speedily peaking, and wanting to dance your ass off. houseoholics is one "brand" of chicago house, there are many chicago house DJs that kick their ass, as it is the same for any genre of music.

and i agree, when i think hard house, i think fergie's stuff, that kid is a damn good DJ.. is he coming to NyC anytime soon wink.gif

------------------

*kitty19*

*turn it around baby*

"overall, i enjoy chicago house music because it is fast, bass-y, and fun. it may not be all that original all the time (and other times it may be), but nothing beats hearing chicago house, when you are speedily peaking, and wanting to dance your ass off. "

try listening to them sober and you will prob get a diff experience. It's no fun listening to the same 909 kick for an entire set.

Off Beats! use them! They are your friends.

randy, i agree, when listening to chicago house sober, it is not as fun.. it actually makes me ponder how i could listen to it. however, i must say, that at times, it brings back flashbacks/memories when i do hear it sober of my times at clubs (esp. tunnel).

and fergie's mix for mixmag was off the hook-i could see how he is going to be one of the featured DJs at ibiza.

------------------

*kitty19*

*turn it around baby*