Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is that club "Spa" really worth it??????

I was at Spa on Thursday night. It's the best Thursday night party in the city right now. It's really mixed - a great crowd, very fabby people – mostly without day job types. I saw lots of Juniorverse and Arena friends. Probably a little more "downtown Manhattan'ish" than most of you are used to. Steve (Lewis) & Jackie's (Christie) backroom girl party from Life Thursdays is there, and they got Marc (Berkley) to promote as well - comp with a fagtag last thursday. Darrell (Elmore) and others do the door. Very nice space, much nicer than System. Fernando told me that it used to be a titty bar - you can tell. It was Jackie's birthday last Thursday and Michael Diamond opened up for her. Michael was lackluster, but Jackie was great as usual. Good 80’s music in the other room. I’m going back this week. I didn’t see Howard Stern or hear that he was there.

So I'm a newbie? OK, whatever.

I went there for the event thrown by John Davis (promoter of Body&Soul) with Dj Deep. It was fabulous but I think it was very different from what it is on normal nights.

When Dj Deep played there you had the full spectrum of club crowd, from the "See and be Seen" crowd (let's call them sabs) to the ghetto black crowd, body&soul hippies and Roxy chelsea Queens plus a few ravers. IMHO, when a crowd is that diverse is when the vibe is the best. A few of the sabs were disapointed to see the B&S hippies and ghetto black crowd in their club, but it was all good, the closed minded ones left shortly. (See my intercation with a gucci and versace guy on a previous post)

The owner tried to pay a lots of attention to the wall paper of the club, I must say that it is beautiful. You have plazma walls that make you feel you're in watery place. There's waters running behind the bars. The bathroom are designed like sauna. There are tanning beds as lights. Also the AC is mad efficient, at the end of the night you had wind and it was freezing on the middle of the dance floor. The only things I didn't like is that it's too bright (walls are white or light blue) I prefer a place when it's dark.

The sound system was ok, John Davis added bass cabinet for a better sound for this event. I cannot imagine how it is without them, it must suck.

On normal nights, this club catter only the the sabs crowd and celibrities. I beleive it is not a place you go for the music but to see some stars. One night I was on front of the club and you had Tricky, the guys from Oasis (dressed very badly as punks), journalists from MTV, professionnal who.. huh I mean models smile.gif, all the rich trash jet set society, all fighting to get in (the bouncers didn't know after who they had to scream so they were yelling at everybody) It was a mess in front of the club, I cannot imagine how it was inside. I guess on normal nights, this club sucks.

Plur,

Joël S.

Guest crystalmethodny

oooh,

Jackie Christie...

Oooohh

-CM

------------------

"We're going to build things up slowly... are you with me? Here we go."

I heard on the Howard Stern Show this morning, Howard talking about how great Spa was on Thursday night, and I've also heard him talk about it before. From the way he describes it, Spa is a good club.

I've never been and the few people on this board who posted about it, didn't like it. Has anyone experienced this club (music, door policy, crowd) or is it basically a "star" hangout?

Thanks,

India

Never been either but I've heard that the place looks fab inside. Nothing like it used to look (Key Club).

Anyone here have hook ups?? I heard they're very selective at the door. You need to be on the list or fucking the doorman.