Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Legendary DJ'S? past&present

Guest crystalmethodny

Woohoo,

Anyone know who Andrew Komis is? Props to that dude in the late 80's.

Heheh

-CM

------------------

"We're going to build things up slowly... are you with me? Here we go."

Frankie Knuckles with out a doubt is a legend, if not THE legend. Knuckles is the father of house, the creator. He pioneered house music. The word "house" in house music comes from the club "Warehouse" in Chicago. This is where Knuckles was resident when he mixed a disco track with a euro-new wave pop track thus created the sound, that we all love and flock to today .... house music

Frankie Knuckles the man, the myth, the legend

Too true Frankie this is why i came to Chicago to find out what it was all about.

It was a gay club (the Warehouse, it's shut down now). There was a big stigma attached to going because if you went you were gay.

Such a shame it's shut down somebody should open it up again like Graceland or something!!

Danny Tenaglia, Frankie Bones (what would we be playing if the Warehouse had never been?), Junior Vasquez, Richie Hawtin, Digweed (how can you doubt the importance of Heaven Scent?).

Who -will- be a legend? Here's my thoughts:

Vasquez - Junior's so good, he'll make himself a legend AGAIN.

Sasha

Oakenfold

Barry from Thunderpuss. Ever heard him just be a dj? Amazing.

BT

Kove. Hey, a guy can dream, right?

------------------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are the music makers,

and we are the dreamers of dreams.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Along with Knuckles I'd say Todd Terry is the godfather of house...Danny Tenaglia, Junior of course, he made ny what it is...David Morales, Red Zone was the shit...Masters @ Work, they all pioneered the House sounds, so we have what he have today which has so many offshoots now that no one can keep track of...I'd say as far as today goes, Danny Tenaglia is the #1 DJ pioneering new music and keeping it true to the roots...Most producers now are just blowovers and people who caught a wave...they won't be here long because they don't have staying power like legends, like Knuckles, Todd Terry, maybe even Armand Van Helden who continues to go into other areas making new music, MAW, DT, etc.

Hold On Tight, Enjoy The Ride...

Mac

------------------

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one." Louis Armstrong

FeelTheseBeats@aol.com

I have to say that back2basics has the right idea. Frankie Knuckles and Graeme Park have to go down as two of the most influential in the early days of house music. Park played at the Hacienda in Manchester in late '80's and early 90's. Frankie played last night at Club NYC part of the Billboard Summit and was great. I liked Joey Negro who was there last night too and of course who can forget, Todd Terry.

B2B,

Good call out. I hadn't thought of it in that light, but you're quite correct.

I wonder what he can do on some 12's? *ponder*

------------------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are the music makers,

and we are the dreamers of dreams.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can I also submit for you nomination: DJ Eddie Baez. I might be biased (fuck might...I AM biased) but he's brought me and thousands of fans MANY years of enjoyable beats at venues he's played at. Hell, at his b-day party at Limelight 2 weeks ago, I had to hold back a Japanese girl who was stalking him all the way from (can you guess!!??) Japan. He's popular all the way across the world. Plus he coming out with a new CD very soon. Just to show you how much we enjoy his music, my friends and I are going to go to Tunnel next week just to be there for support. I haven't been to Tunnel since January 1999 when that kid OD'd. I was the last person that the ops took out (I was stuck in a "hole" in the upstairs bathroom). I refused ever to set foot in that place ever again. I'm always afraid that I'll relive that experience. But I'm setting all that aside for Eddie. Just my little ol' opinion.

Evan