Clubplanet Nightlife Community

LMA(r)O - Check this Mixmag article

Just bee reading this on another board, christ this guy is letting himself in for a slagging..

I am sure i have met the guy who wrote it (bit of a trainspoter himself), never would have thought he would write this.

-------------------------------------------

"In fashion, something is always the new something else. Remember when brown became the new black? When staying in was the new going out? {As if.) Great - except sometimes it isn't. There's a dark side. A movement of sniffy, self obsessed blokes (It's always blokes) making plodding tribal/prog/epic (delete as appropriate) tunes who've decided that boring is the new interesting. They are the Misinformed Sons Of Sasha And Digweed and Mix coming to a badly lit warehouse of a club near you soon.

Example one: Steve Lawler, a bloke who once wowed the crowds with up-fer-it part sets at Cream and Renaissance but now inflicts plodding, sub-Peter Gabriel prog-trance on us like we just killed his dog.

Example two: Lee Burridge and Craig Richards, two blokes whose 'tunes' (that's definitely not 'choons') are so heinously pedestrian that if they mixed two copies of the same record for four hours no one would notice.

Example three: Danny 'Ten Hour' Tenaglia, a tubby man who spins OK-ish New York house records, but release flaccid 'intelligent' albums so staggering in their dullness that major record stores have to place trained medical staff by the racks. Example four: Danny Howells, a prog-trancer so obsessed with John Digweed he's stalked him all the way from Hastings to a residency at New York's temple of tribal twaddle, Twilo.

It's all Serous music with a capital S made by men in the same silvery Sony headphones. Even the Europeans are making more intersting trance, for crying out loud.

Get yourself to any club that runs one of these deep, intelligent prog-fests and watch as one or two lights flicker among acres of thick smoke. And that's it. We came, we saw, we wished someone knew how to work the glitterball.

While we're not suggesting for a moment that drugs are involved (heaven forbid), it seems strange that this new dullocracy's obsession with lengthy 'workouts' and pitched-down beats so neatly echo the coke-fueled, ditch the vocals, it's all-about-the-music hogwash that reared its ugly head in 1994.

Producing fun music is not rocket science. Studio masturbation is all well and good but just make sure we have a good time when we go out. And no, I don't know where to get a Technics deck that pitches down to -12."

Rob Fitzpatrick

------------------

I want to go out blazing not fade away.

I can resist anything but temptation.

bsb2.GIF

His reply

-------------------------------------------Well hello. . .

My word, there's some angry people out there. I'd apologise if I didn't find it all just a little, y'know, sad. So, Tenaglia's 'intelligent' is he? How do you know? And even if he is, and I'm sure he's as marvellous a bloke as it's possible to meet, who cares? It's Pop Music, people. It's blokes playing blokes records to other blokes. Are you really that upset by someone you don't know writing something you don't like abut a third party you don't know? Haven't you got enough real things to worry about?

Although I'm amused by how many people are upset, I'm even more amused by how many people on this site have started going, 'Actually, he had a point, didn't he.'

Respect to Conor, Tom W, Tope and Man Like Viv Craske, the owner of the unlikeliest haircut in modern dance music.

Rob

XX

---------------------------------------------

Your message hadn't fully downloaded when I saw it. . .but, never fear, the full weight of your argument soon followed. . .Do you honestly believe everyone should give equal respect to all genres of music? Why? Some are lame. Do you afford early 90's acid jazz the same reverance you obviously bestow on, gulp, trance? Do you really want to read a magazine that NEVER upsets you, makes you think, makes you angry? If so, there's plenty out there, but let's have no more of this 'respect to everything' bollocks, eh.

--------------------------------------------

Reply by boxed

If you call it Pop music once more I swear... I oughta....I'm sure your reffering to some twisted music theorem that the Pop in pop music is still an abreviation of popular, and therefore meaning that anything alot of people like is popular music, becasue we all know that ain't true.

Unfortunately wanting to keep my job prevents me from getting too involved in this, but don't try the 'it's only music' @#%$ here... because one that's not the case with this record label pal, call us sad...secondly if it is, what else is there...I know there's only one thing I've found that is worth more in life, and if you can't respect that then what are you doing working in the industry.

John Elliott

Boxed Records

------------------

I want to go out blazing not fade away.

I can resist anything but temptation.

bsb2.GIF