Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Battle of the Dj's by Kaine Rosado

Guest kainerosado

Guest kainerosado

The battle of Dj's around the world is one of the most competitive fields in the night life industry next to the actual promotions of events.

Danny Tenaglia

Lets start off with my favorite NYC resident House Disc Jockey in 2000, Danny Tenaglia. I find myself reaching for his CD's more than I do for Paul Oakenfolds. Danny began in 1995, with his debut album Hard & Soul . I was impressed when I heard Hard & Soul, but never had the chance to hear him live. I was too busy following Junior Vasquez every Saturday @ Palladuim.

Due to the political battle to change NYC night life between Peter Gatien and Mayor Guilianni, Tunnel Fridays with Eddie Baez was no longer an option...I found myself in search for a new place to chill on Fridays. Friends kept on telling me that Danny was the man to hear at Vinyl on Fridays. I always declined because of the association of Vinyl as the old skool house of NASA in 1992. In my eyes, the place was small and dirty. Then to the advantage of Rob Fernandez (Subliminal promotional director), Danny was spinning for the Subliminal party on Thursday in January of 1999. I was hooked. That following Friday I went out and bought every CD he produced.

Now almost never missing Vinyl "BE YOURSELF" Fridays. He puts my mind on vacation for 5 hours straight. Don't get me wrong, I still love Eddie Baez, but because of political reasons his days of spinning at Tunnel Fridays are over...Eddie we all still love you!!

Jonathan Peters

Now lets chat about Jonathan Peters of the legendary Sound Factory Saturdays. The DJ known to his loyal followers as JP has not yet put out his own album, despite the fact that many of his fans would love the idea. Jonathan Peters started Sound Factory on a Friday in 1997 and moved over to Sound Factory Saturdays months later.

JP spun all over NYC in mainstream venues during the 80's before hitting Sound Factory. Including Club USA, Roxy, Palladium, Café Iguana, Mirage, Nell’s, Café Society, Le Bar Bat, Limelight, El Flamingo, Tavern on the Green, and NYC most famous past tense underground illegal liqour selling afterhours, ROBOTS.

Every time I go to SF Saturdays. I say to myself, "I'm leaving at 6am". But that never happens, JP keeps me way past my bed time with his 10 to 14 hour sets comprised of smaller sets of vocal, trance, progressive, hard house, and jungle beats. Sound Factory Saturdays & Jonathan Peters...ENUFF SAID!!

Paul Oakenfold

Next on my list is Paul Oakenfold. I have to say that Paul Oakenfold is my favorite international trance DJ. Paul Oakenfold is one of the founding fathers of the acid house in the late 80's at the worlds most cultured night life...London. I never got the chance to hear him spin in that era, being that I'm only 27. I knew that I would be a long time fan after I heard his first album in 1998, Tranceport. I began following him all over NYC, standing on long lines, buying tickets way in advance, even paying a hundred bucks to scalpers when it was at last minute. I was dedicated to the bone.

Sandra Collins

We can't forget about Sandra Collins, the worlds first female international trance DJ. She was discovered in Las Vegas, but began spinning at parties in Arizona in the 80's before moving to Los Angeles in 1992. In L.A. she spun at Metropolis from '95 to '98. Believe it or not, I was in L.A. during that time several times and never had the chance to go hear her spin, but I did get the chance to hear her at Twilo here in NYC on a Friday in 1997. Once again, that Saturday I bought her first two albums and fell in love with her third (TrancePort 3) released this year. Sandra Collins has opened for the best, Paul Oakenfold in NYC, Moby at Woodstock 99, and Carl Cox at Crobar in Chicago. Watch out for her...I believe she will take over Paul Oakenfolds #1 Disc Jockey title in the New Year.

Junior Vasquez (Donald Mattern)

Last, but not least. Junior Vasquez. Junior transformed from Donald Mattern when he started spinning at the original Sound Factory now known as Twilo in 1989. I first heard of Junior when I was 16 years old hanging at NASA. I tried several times to get in, but was never allowed the privilege. Finally in 1996 he was at Palladium on Saturdays with Kenny Ken at the door, was Junior the man? YES! He was GOD! I loved him and still do somewhat. I looked up to him, the first NYC resident DJ to take over and show who's boss. Working with Madonna, Whitney Houston, Dolly Parton, the Pet Shop Boys, John Cougar Mellencamp and Cyndi Lauper. I worshiped him...we all did. The gay, the straight, the bi, the transexual. All of us. One big happy family. And then Mayor Guilianni came into town and ruined NYC night life for good. Not saying that Danny or Jonathan don't keep NYC going, its just that all these new night clubs like Exit, The World, new skool Limelight suck, with these wanna be DJ's and candy flippen glow stick, yuppy kids running around. No wonder Junior Vasquez has a bad taste in his mouth over his music. We all know that he has not been spinning his best and we all know that he is the best. Junior, if you ever read this, please come out of the closet for the second time. We need you.

Okay, I'm not done...I will write my feeling of music once again soon. If you did not get anything out of this. Its simple...NYC night life belongs to Centro Fly Thursdays, Vinyl Fridays, Twilo Fridays, Sound Factory Saturdays, Twilo Saturdays, Vinyl Sunday afternoon, Cheetah Sundays, and of course Paul Oakenfold and Sandra Collins when around.

Kaine Rosado

KaineRosado@1800NightClubs.com

http://www.1800nightclubs.com

[This message has been edited by kainerosado (edited 01-02-2001).]

Although I do like The World and some of the newer DJs, that was very well said and very touching!!

------------------

Upcoming Gigs...

Fri Dec 29th - Sequoia (South Street Seaport)

Sun Dec 31st - The Tribeca Rooftop

(www.tribec.com)

Email-DJSuhel@aol.com

AIM - DJSuhel

• 7 years later...

Hello Everyone,

That was Kaine Rosado then when there was no video on the internet and I had to give you the best picture with words, and now the same Kaine Rosado gives you the same nightlife picture with videos.

Please check out my clubplanet profile to see all the videos I have made just for you!

http://www.clubplanet.com/Kaine_Rosado

Kaine

212-777-LIST

www.inlist.com

Inlist.com serves the entertainment and event promotion arena

in a variety of ways to increase awareness of events. In addition,

through the quality use of a variety of marketing and advertising

tools, our mission will always have each product marketed in a

unique manner that is distinctive but always of high quality and taste.