Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Do People Really Not Know Who JOSH WINK Is?

Just wondering. There's a lot of posts of people asking who he is, or making similar comments.

Is it possible to be into electronic music enough to spend time chatting on a message board all day and still not know who Josh Wink is? I don't mean to come down on people... but really. The man is one of the pillars upon which modern electronic music has been built.

How is this possible?

------------------

Voted one of the top 3 dj's - Clubplanet Awards 2001

higher state of conciousness!! i used to love that song. my ex used to drag me to see him spin in philly years ago. he has been around the scene for many many moons.

------------------

wherespicolo.jpg

IM LIKE JIMMY WALKER, DYNAMITE!!!!!!

AOL J303J

A little school:

An American producer who simultaneously possessed European hit singles, a major-label album contract, consistent contact with the dance mainstream plus the requisite underground credentials, Josh Wink appeared to lack for nothing at the peak of his success in the mid-'90s. Part of the East Coast/Philadelphia dance scene, Wink recorded three trance monsters out of his bedroom studio (as Wink, Winx and Size 9) that topped charts in Europe during 1995 and saw him anointed as a dance poster-boy, easily recognized by his ruddy good looks and flowing blond dreadlocks. Hardly the techno kingpin however, Wink's espousal of a vegan lifestyle and his defiantly anti-drug ideals made him something of a unique personality in the hedonistic world of dance music. After recording his triumvirate of trance hits, Wink soon tempered his singles output to test the waters of album-oriented production as well, releasing Herehear in 1998.

After being turned on by punk rock in the '70s, Josh Winkelman was inspired by a diverse group of dance-styled artists during the 1980s — ranging from Depeche Mode to Kraftwerk to Run-D.M.C. — and began working with a Philadelphia-based mobile DJ service from the age of 13. After he met up with a fellow DJ, King Britt, at one party, the duo began recording. One of their first productions, 1990's "Tribal Confusion" by E-Culture, was released on New York's Strictly Rhythm Records and became a success in America's exploding club/rave scene, which Wink and Britt soundtracked by DJing at events around the country. Wink had also recorded for Nervous, another vaunted East Coast dance label, before forming Ovum Records in late 1994 with Britt.

Ovum and Wink had an international club hit right out of the box with 1995's "Liquid Summer"; the single led to Wink recording for a maze of European labels. During 1995, he recorded "Don't Laugh" by Winx, "I'm Ready" by Size 9, and "Higher State of Consciousness" by Winks, all of which topped European dance charts and even made several pop charts despite their debt to hard-edged acid-trance. The singles were collected along with new material for his 1996 debut album, Left Above the Clouds, and relased as Winx. The major labels came calling in 1997, and Wink decided to sign not only himself but the entire Ovum Recordings label to a deal with Columbia. After recording with King Britt, Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor, poet Ursula Rucker and Philly mod-punks the Interpreters, Wink released his proper album debut Herehear in 1998; the mix album Profound Sounds 1 followed the next year. — John Bush

------------------

you know, there are these marvellous things called internet search engines.... amazing what stuff you can find before asking dumb questions.... wink.gif

Josh Wink - Biography

b. c. 1970, Philadelphia, USA. The techno artist Josh Wink combines a number of influences, from deep house to acid jazz and more experimental electronic music. His musical taste came from his family's record collection that included Philip Glass, Stevie Wonder, Kraftwerk, Steely Dan and James Brown. He began DJing in 1987 in underground Philadelphia clubs. In 1990 he released 'Tribal Confusion', on Strictly Rhythm Records, an acclaimed single produced with King Britt and credited to E-Culture that was later sampled by Future Sound Of London. The reaction enabled Britt and Wink to establish their own production company, WinKing Productions, in Philadelphia. Over the next five years they remixed over 20 tracks, including Rozalla 's 'Are You Ready To Fly?', Digital Orgasm's 'Running Out Of Time' and Book Of Love's 'Boy Pop'. In 1993 when King went on tour as the Digable Planets' DJ, so Wink continued as a solo artist, using a variety of names, including Wink, Winx, Winc, Winks and the Crusher. The records were released on a variety of dance labels such as Vinyl Solution, Strictly Rhythm, Nervous, Limbo and R&S Records. He also recorded 30-second musical compositions for television advertisements, as well as launching his own underground dance label, Ovum Recordings, in October 1994. In the mid-90s he was signed to Virgin Records in the USA and Mercury Records in Britain, releasing 'Higher State Of Consciousness' in 1995.

[obviously spoonyd got there 2 minutes before me. well it's all good info, right?!]

[This message has been edited by dirtyslapper (edited 01-16-2001).]

This is not one of the DJ's you go to see to be 'taken on a journey'. This is a night strictly for the music. To hear what he's got to say.

Friday will be a music lesson.

------------------

Unfortunately..there are many people who go to clubs and have NO CLUE about music..

Even people who claim to know something..often don't....can't tell you hoe many times I have told people that I love detroit techno and they say.."oh..I didnt know you were from detroit?"..I have given up already....

------------------

" I give in to sin ..Because you have to make this life liveable "-DM

Smoknjilly@aol.com

Originally posted by tommy_g:

I saw him at Twilo a while ago... almost two years ago. He's good... but he doesnt provide the usual Twilo vibe your lookin for.

there is more out there then the usual music they play at twilo. people need to broaden there musical taste and try out other styles of music. for years all i listened to was techno and nothign else. now i have opened up my ears to all kinds of music and i seem to appreciate the music more. who woudl have thought a few years ago that i would be listeing to house music but i tried it out and now i love it. some people are just close minded.

------------------

wherespicolo.jpg

IM LIKE JIMMY WALKER, DYNAMITE!!!!!!

AOL J303J

Originally posted by Jilly:

Unfortunately..there are many people who go to clubs and have NO CLUE about music..

Even people who claim to know something..often don't....can't tell you hoe many times I have told people that I love detroit techno and they say.."oh..I didnt know you were from detroit?"..I have given up already....

Well, it takes time to learn it all. There are SO many DJ's and unless you are in the scene for at least a couple of years and totally devote your life to it, you will not know all about it. I don't think there is anything wrong with ppl not knowing anything and everything about all DJ's.. Personally, I like to discover new DJ's that I haven't heard before. Maybe in a year I'll know all of them but for now it's more fun to learn and experiment..

Anybody herd him play a good set? I have only seen him out a few times.. but times it wasn't great.. for me Wink is one of those people who is better as a producer (ala Todd Terry)... still should be interesting just to see what he plays. The good thing about not going to see one of the circuit DJ's is that you here some different tracks.

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

I can STILL resist ANYTHING but temptation.

bsb2.GIF

Damn B2B you beat me to it. I was just going to say, Wink is one of the best producers around, but is mediocre at best as a DJ. He's also incredibly arrogant, and after meeting him once I really personally dislike him. I still buy everything he puts out though. Just got this new remix he did over the weekend. Supernatural by Firefly featuring Ursula Rucker. Cant stop playing it. Super sick. But I wouldnt waste my time going to see him live. And I still love How's Your Evening So Far even after hearing it at least 1000 times.

JohnB

Originally posted by back2basics-:

still should be interesting just to see what he plays. The good thing about not going to see one of the circuit DJ's is that you here some different tracks.

That's the part I like best. I find it fascinating to see what influences someone like him. When someone can produce music that is so universally accepted as good, it's neat to see what he thinks is good music.

------------------