Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Replacement for CD's or a new Mini Disk?

Did anybody see the new CD's at the electronic show last week? They hold 500mb and are about the size of a quarter. They can hold MP3's, images etc.

Aparently everybody is jumping on them.. the main thing is that they think that they will SELL, with content for $5.. carn't see that, but they do cost les to manufature (as a cd only cost's a few pence to make i would think the ocntents is the main issue)... whatever they look very interesting.. we shall see what impact they have.

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

When the party was in progress and unidentified frequency has been existing in the system for some time - Freak Frequency

bsb2.GIF

Originally posted by spoonyd:

recordable?

I love my MD.

Yeh recordable, i guess they use some form of compression so there will be loss of quality. They just look like a quarter size CD in a small plastic case, aparently the technology is cheep so i don't think they will be increasing the density of information.. so it must be compressed... i think.

Yeh i love Mini Disk's but they have died really.. never took off, can you even buy new albums on them?

------------------

When the party was in progress and unidentified frequency has been existing in the system for some time - Freak Frequency

bsb2.GIF

Originally posted by apotheosis:

"where" its marketed matters too.

In Europe (or Japan -i forgot) MD's now outsell CD.

Yeh that will be Japan, you don't see much of them in Europe.

------------------

bsb2.GIF

b2b, not sure where you shop, but MD is going to work.

All sorts of prerecorded media is available and cheaper than CD. Blank media is more and more available and at ever lower prices. More manufacturers are jumping into the portable player/recorder market.

What I think we are going to see is an opening up of the market for MD drives for computers (now only existing in Japan), and then a cross media implementation of MP3, and traditional MD into the same player.

MD is here to stay I think. It beats the hell out of CDs.

I actually just got a new soundcard today with a digital optical out so I can spit my MP3's from Napster straight into my portable recorder.

The future is now baby!

------------------

if you're bored: Sat. Jan 27 - Leisure Society @ The Leopard Lounge

b2b, not sure where you shop, but MD is going to work.

All sorts of prerecorded media is available and cheaper than CD. Blank media is more and more available and at ever lower prices. More manufacturers are jumping into the portable player/recorder market.

What I think we are going to see is an opening up of the market for MD drives for computers (now only existing in Japan), and then a cross media implementation of MP3, and traditional MD into the same player.

MD is here to stay I think. It beats the hell out of CDs.

I actually just got a new soundcard today with a digital optical out so I can spit my MP3's from Napster straight into my portable recorder.

The future is now baby!

Well maybe. But i will bet you $2.99 that in 2 years time MD's will be gone.

CD's are too cheap, better quality, have data and audio writters available to most people.. you can use them in your car, computer etc.

MD's smaller, loose quality, more expensive, no PC based devices. I just carn't see it going anywhere... and they have been around for what, 4 years and they haven't broken through in a big way.

I don't know could be wrong, but $2.99? smile.gif

------------------

bsb2.GIF

You my friend, are on.

MD was meant to replace cassettes and it will. It will not usurp Cd's, but I don't think that was the point. You'll remember, cassettes are still around but why? This is what they are targeting IMHO.

but I've got $2.99 to lose, so what the hey.

Yeah but DCC's were supposed to be the new digital casette with backwards compatibility, around the time of the MD, unfortunately the compression on the DCC's were even worse than on the MD's

- Pete

cool.gif

------------------

------------------------

flash.gif

Upcoming Shows: ???

My new web site...Version 1.04a

[url]http://www.naked-edge.com/schwinge.html

DJSchwinge@naked-edge.com

in the short term, i think if MD doesn't move to the PC platform, it never will have the chance to beat the CD.

on the other hand, there was an article regarding DVD-R technology being possibly used in MD like casings and working with PCs - which would basically fuck the CD where it stands.

currently, with memory chips getting smaller and smaller and newer MP3 like compression methods, both MDs and CDs will lose the consumer end of the business. A firm just introduced new MP3plus codecs that cut the size of audio files to a quarter of regular mp3s. it's a new compression method that allows 32kbps recordings to have CD quality sound properties.

a 128mb compactflash card costs as low as 180 bux today. in a year it'll be half that..

a 1GB microdrive about the same size, costs 450 bux and that price is going to fall too..

and you can store all your music on your computer, which'll take much less space than stacking a few hundred cds. a regular 40 GB hard drive can store 8-9 thousand 192kbps (archive and high end stereo quality) mp3s and only cost a like three hundred bux.

i think physical music media is going down the drain in the next decade..

morph_ cwm13.gif

------------------

This is my church

This is where i heal my hurts

It's in natural grace

Or watching young lives shape

It's in minor keys

Solutions and remedies

Enemies becoming friends

When bitterness ends

This is my church