Clubplanet Nightlife Community

bartending school...

Originally posted by sharonregina:

joey's right, and divette too. a lot of it is going to be more about what you can do and how you look than if you're "certified." get some skills, buy a few ez-pour caps. the cool thing about american bartending is that they are always located ontop or below a bar, so they have you bartend there one night.

i went to a place in jersey, private co.- you pretty much teach yourself and go there to practice and learn off the people you're there with.

in terms of jobs- placement does not exist- i did a few private party gigs, but none hooked up from the "school."

i know one girl who just started bartending somewhere in they city recently with no, experience- it's totally if you look good, they'll train you.

if you decide not to take the classes- you can have my notebook smile.gif

people tell me different things...some say that I don't need to go to school and I should just go and try to get a job where they would train me....and others tell me that bartending school helps w/ getting use to the bar faster....my friend got a bartending job w/o any exp. and honestly...she just stands there and watches the other girls working...that is the "training" she gets...those girls don't really have time to teach her anything....they just trying to make as much $$$ as they can....I wouldn't want to be in her place....ugh, I don't know... cwm1.gif

L smile.gif

------------------

*sometimes I wonder if

my dreams are wild...

sometimes I know they'll

all come true...

I need somebody who can

move MY world...

someone who knows just

what to do...*

someone like ~YOU~

Bungee...first of all ..I'm NOT full of shit.

Heres some more tips to educate you on this subject.

If you are going to bartend, do it where your gunna make $$$ and not struggle for every dollar tip.

Go to the mare upscales bars, Restaurants, lounges..some clubs. Work at the places where the its more of a "dring scene" instead of drug scene.

I have friends who have been bartending t China CLub for YEARS! They have made careers out of it because the money is sooo good.

This is a fact: One night my girl was bartending there and from one table got a $1,000 tip. THats money! not busting your ass for $100 at a little hole in the wall place , where people will tip you a $1 a drink, if they tip at all.

cwm38.gif

Originally posted by divette:

Bungee...first of all ..I'm NOT full of shit.

Heres some more tips to educate you on this subject.

If you are going to bartend, do it where your gunna make $$$ and not struggle for every dollar tip.

Go to the mare upscales bars, Restaurants, lounges..some clubs. Work at the places where the its more of a "dring scene" instead of drug scene.

I have friends who have been bartending t China CLub for YEARS! They have made careers out of it because the money is sooo good.

This is a fact: One night my girl was bartending there and from one table got a $1,000 tip. THats money! not busting your ass for $100 at a little hole in the wall place , where people will tip you a $1 a drink, if they tip at all.

cwm38.gif

common sense... cwm1.gif

------------------

*sometimes I wonder if

my dreams are wild...

sometimes I know they'll

all come true...

I need somebody who can

move MY world...

someone who knows just

what to do...*

someone like ~YOU~

Originally posted by risa06:

people tell me different things...some say that I don't need to go to school and I should just go and try to get a job where they would train me....and others tell me that bartending school helps w/ getting use to the bar faster....my friend got a bartending job w/o any exp. and honestly...she just stands there and watches the other girls working...that is the "training" she gets...those girls don't really have time to teach her anything....they just trying to make as much $$$ as they can....I wouldn't want to be in her place....ugh, I don't know... cwm1.gif

L smile.gif

wussup with the review....I thought you were gonna check out that spot in queens last night? The one week course for 200 bucks or some shit?

Yeah you totally DO NOT need a license.. I don't have one neither does my boyfriend and we've both bartended.. I was bartending at 17 for God's sake..My bf the same..

and Divette does have a point.. it's WHERE you work ...so look into it...and make sure that the bartending school guarantees to set you up with something GOOD... if not you're better off using your own connections WITHOUT a license.... cwm1.gif

------------------

AIM vampienyc10

e-mail: vampie@aol.com

Originally posted by visions:

wussup with the review....I thought you were gonna check out that spot in queens last night? The one week course for 200 bucks or some shit?

there is really not much to say...the office closes at 5PM...so by the time I got there there were noone to talk to about the classses...I just asked some guys that were outside if this school is nice and they said that its *ok*...I'm gonna give them a call today when I get a sec. and I'll ask them when is a good time to come in...I'll post about it later on smile.gif ...

------------------

*sometimes I wonder if

my dreams are wild...

sometimes I know they'll

all come true...

I need somebody who can

move MY world...

someone who knows just

what to do...*

someone like ~YOU~

there is really not much to say...the office closes at 5PM...so by the time I got there there were noone to talk to about the classses...I just asked some guys that were outside if this school is nice and they said that its *ok*...I'm gonna give them a call today when I get a sec. and I'll ask them when is a good time to come in...I'll post about it later on smile.gif ...

no doubt...take my e-mail and keep me updated with this shiot. I also know a couple of promoters that could probably get us work once were qualified or have the experience visions@visionsofmind.com....

lemme know biggrin.gif

ok...just called them and the girl (very nice one) told me that if I can make it by 6:30PM someone will still be there to answer all my questions and sighn me up for the classes...it is $200...one week...6-10PM on weeknights (she wasnt sure about the weekends)...its on 37th ST and Astoria Blvd (very easy to find)...so, if anyone wants to go together...email me at risa06@aol.com smile.gif

------------------

*sometimes I wonder if

my dreams are wild...

sometimes I know they'll

all come true...

I need somebody who can

move MY world...

someone who knows just

what to do...*

someone like ~YOU~

L smile.gif

lol, yeah, it's totally different for everyone- all i can say is follow through! if you are going to take the classes, start interviewing the first week . . .

cheers smile.gif

-me

------------------

"I was on a roll until you got here. If you weren't reading this, I'd have some free time. If I weren't writing this, you'd have some free time. Tag, you lose!" --josh mintz

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." -voltaire