Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Who determined that going to clubs has to be about

The music, dj, dancing...and that those that go just for the scene or to hook up don't know "anything" and mess up the vibe.

If people go to bars, it is understood that for the most part they are not there JUST for the drinks...but possibly to "pick up", etc... Why should it be any different if people like to do the same type of things in clubs.

It seems that on this board, many people complain about those that go to clubs for other reasons than the music, etc...as if there are certain almighty club rules that such people are breaking. I'm just curious as to who/what determined these "guidelines" and why anyone has the right to determine who should or should not be going to clubs for "other" purposes.

------------------

"The world is a better place because of those who refuse to believe they can't

fly."

dragon_pipe_e0.gif

I go places, I interact...

(What places?)

Certain, clubs. Like, Paradise. It's not bad.

It's just that feeling when you can take your shirt off and really dance. When the music owns you. Do you understand?

personally i go for the music and to dance. to hang w/ my friends and to have a good time, meet new ppl. if some ppl go to hook-up, then so be it. i dont feel it messes up the "vibe", b/c the "vibe" is different to everyone. and to say that the ppl who go to hook up dont know anything, is the stupidest thing ive ever heard. why not GO to a place, where u WILL MEET ppl who have the same interests as u such as in music, or dj's or whatnot?? as long as what u are doing doesn't affect me and my having fun, i could care less if u ran around nekked! everyone has a right to do whatever the hell they want, and i dont think anyone has a right to tell them otherwise.

------------------

" Music is a universal language. Where speech fails, then music begins. It is the natural medium for the expression of our emotions - the art that expresses in tones our feelings which are too strong & too deep to be expressed in words"

Charles W. Landon

who ever you are, whatever you are, and where ever you are...as long as youre having a blast then its all good..because thats what its all about....Just dont be grabbing my hoes' ass!!!

------------------

"Beware of PHAZON" world_hj50.jpg

"The Future is Now...

forget the past...presents gone until the gorgeous night.

.Outraged, mindblowing nightmares....end up..

in the never ending.. FIGHT"

logo.gif

In all actuality...this post wasn't really directed to those that share my point of view...although it is nice to see that others agree. I was really hoping to hear some reasoning from those who in fact believe that people that go to clubs for reasons other than music, etc ruin the so-called vibe and dont have a place in the scene because they "dont know what its all about"...

------------------

fly."

dragon_pipe_e0.gif

(What places?)

It's just that feeling when you can take your shirt off and really dance. When the music owns you. Do you understand?

The ONLY thing that bothers me about some people in clubs is their hostility. I personally couldn't care less whether other people wear prada, dance like Barishnikov, know the difference between Digweed and Sasha, or have been clubbing since Methuselah had his hair. As long as they don't keep others from doing their own thing or start drama with anyone, I couldn't care less. The ONLY club rule should be is "check the drama at the door."

------------------

translucent_figure.gif

Originally posted by gravity:

In all actuality...this post wasn't really directed to those that share my point of view...although it is nice to see that others agree. I was really hoping to hear some reasoning from those who in fact believe that people that go to clubs for reasons other than music, etc ruin the so-called vibe and dont have a place in the scene because they "dont know what its all about"...

Are you looking for DRAMA again? IMO (like it means much to anyone) go out have a bloody hell awesome time regardless if you are going out for the music, women/men, social scene or whatever, WHO CARES?...Only you can determine your own parameters as far as having a good time or enjoying a DJ. Vibe? I think thats a personal choice. One person can love the vibe of one club while another would hate it and believe "other" people are ruining it.

-Jamms "one"

------------------

Haben Sie Ihr Schuhe auf tanzt? face50.gif

Originally posted by jammy:

Are you looking for DRAMA again? IMO (like it means much to anyone) go out have a bloody hell awesome time regardless if you are going out for the music, women/men, social scene or whatever, WHO CARES?...Only you can determine your own parameters as far as having a good time or enjoying a DJ. Vibe? I think thats a personal choice. One person can love the vibe of one club while another would hate it and believe "other" people are ruining it.

-Jamms "one"

No, I'm not looking for drama. The replies so far have been honest and its good to see that this attiutde doesnt exist with most people. However, time and time again, there are references to why certain clubs suck becuase people go there to hook up, be seen, etc...and when such people come to other clubs it messes up the vibe. I was just curious to know when and where it was determined what clubs are for and since when were they structured that people "had to go" for a particular reason?

-Gravity "areyoulookingfordrama"

cwm25.gif

------------------

fly."

dragon_pipe_e0.gif

(What places?)

Well, I never gripe about people who don't know the DJs or the deeper scene. I only gripe when someone walks into Twilo (NYC) or Crobar (Chicago) and gets all in a tiff because they don't like the progressive sounds of the two clubs.

To me, it is mostly about the music, but that's because I am not a heavy drinker. As long as you HAVE FUN, your reasons for going to a club are perfectly valid. biggrin.gif

D-Jam

<A HREF="/cgi-bin/redir.cgi?url=http://www.osmag.com" TARGET=_blank> osmagfooter.gif </A>

GRAVITY!!! I agree with you for once!!!

Too true, it's what you want it to be... don't judge people... oh you do judge people... practice what you preach smile.gif

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

bsb2.GIF

Originally posted by djamnfx:

Well, I never gripe about people who don't know the DJs or the deeper scene. I only gripe when someone walks into Twilo (NYC) or Crobar (Chicago) and gets all in a tiff because they don't like the progressive sounds of the two clubs.

To me, it is mostly about the music, but that's because I am not a heavy drinker. As long as you HAVE FUN, your reasons for going to a club are perfectly valid. biggrin.gif

<A HREF="/cgi-bin/redir.cgi?url=http://www.d-jam.com" TARGET=_blank>D-Jam</A>

<A HREF="/cgi-bin/redir.cgi?url=http://www.osmag.com" TARGET=_blank> osmagfooter.gif </A>

Progressive sound at the crobar? When? They don't really have a sound do they. They get in all sorts of DJ's, and Psycho bitch isn't progressive... not dissing the Crobar or Psycho at all they just don't have a progressive sound... neither does Twilo.

Where do you DJ in Chi-town?

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

bsb2.GIF

I'm already hitched. WHen I go out I do not want to pay for the luxury of being harassed when I am trying to focus my energies on the tunaeage.

It's no fun being stuck in line because a bunch of fair weathered fans decided that they heard a particular name or place enough and want to be "cool" for just being there.

You know your in for a night when the people i front of you in the hour long line ask who the dj is.

Originally posted by gravity:

The music, dj, dancing...and that those that go just for the scene or to hook up don't know "anything" and mess up the vibe.

If people go to bars, it is understood that for the most part they are not there JUST for the drinks...but possibly to "pick up", etc... Why should it be any different if people like to do the same type of things in clubs.

It seems that on this board, many people complain about those that go to clubs for other reasons than the music, etc...as if there are certain almighty club rules that such people are breaking. I'm just curious as to who/what determined these "guidelines" and why anyone has the right to determine who should or should not be going to clubs for "other" purposes.

people head to certain venues for certain vibes. for example, house heads go over to vinyl for the music, no drinking, and many are not on drugs. so when some obnoxious drunken asshole who's blown one too many lines shows up, that's when people get pissed. there are plenty of places in the city for somebody like that, so why choose vinyl, or other clubs that focus on the music?

certain clubs/venues are more receptive to certain behaviors. if you want to get fucked up beyond belief until 2 in the afternoon, sf is conducive to your behavior.

there are no guidelines per se, but each venue has it's own feel to it.

people get pissed when somebody shows up, and doesn't understand the vibe of the joint. why go somewhere anyway if you're not on the same page as everybody else?

i'm not including clothing as part of the vibe, come as you are anywhere (if they let you in certain places) but understand where you are going and what the vibe is like. then try to respect it.

------------------

party with a heart on

Originally posted by George Glass:

I'm already hitched. WHen I go out I do not want to pay for the luxury of being harassed when I am trying to focus my energies on the tunaeage.

It's no fun being stuck in line because a bunch of fair weathered fans decided that they heard a particular name or place enough and want to be "cool" for just being there.

You know your in for a night when the people i front of you in the hour long line ask who the dj is.

Question for you:

How would these clubs pay for these top DJ's if it wasn't for the attendance of these "fair weathered fans"?

Just curious..

------------------

AIM vampienyc10

e-mail: vampie@aol.com

Originally posted by George Glass:

well shit if i hear enough about a place, u better believe im going to march my ass up there and see what the hell im missing. this is the exact attitude i hate. who the hell are u to say who should and shouldn't go??

did u ever stop to think, maybe they just started getting into the scene?? maybe they dont give a shit who the dj is? maybe their just there for the music? im sure u didn't know every dj when u first came into it.

------------------

" Music is a universal language. Where speech fails, then music begins. It is the natural medium for the expression of our emotions - the art that expresses in tones our feelings which are too strong & too deep to be expressed in words"

Charles W. Landon

Originally posted by nycedee:

people head to certain venues for certain vibes. for example, house heads go over to vinyl for the music, no drinking, and many are not on drugs. so when some obnoxious drunken asshole who's blown one too many lines shows up, that's when people get pissed. there are plenty of places in the city for somebody like that, so why choose vinyl, or other clubs that focus on the music?

certain clubs/venues are more receptive to certain behaviors. if you want to get fucked up beyond belief until 2 in the afternoon, sf is conducive to your behavior.

there are no guidelines per se, but each venue has it's own feel to it.

people get pissed when somebody shows up, and doesn't understand the vibe of the joint. why go somewhere anyway if you're not on the same page as everybody else?

i'm not including clothing as part of the vibe, come as you are anywhere (if they let you in certain places) but understand where you are going and what the vibe is like. then try to respect it.

I understand your point and it is well taken...however, there are people that are newer to the scene and only experienced clubs as a means to picking up, getting fucked up, etc...however the "real" scene cant possibly expand without new people experiencing new things and adapting to new places and venues.

For example, Vinyl is all about Being Yourself...so to say that one shouldnt go or has no place there based on the fact that they are unfamiliar with the "vibe" and inexperience with the music is in fact defeating the purpose of what that club and others try to be. The scene is expanding so rapidly that more and more newbies are venturing in to places that a year ago, they would have never set foot in. If we embrace the "real" scene so much, it is better to try and let these people adapt to what it is all about...if they can't/don't rest assured they will move on...however, shunning them based upon their lack of experience or previous notion of why they enjoy clubbing, defeats the purpose of what so many of these clubs/parties stand for.

On the other hand, there are people that have been around the block for a while yet may only like going to places where picking up, being seen etc is the main thing...however, they decide to check out a new venue such as Twilo or Vinyl...these people may have a different perspective on clubbing however it doesnt mean that they are inexperienced...and in all actuality they can potentially add to an already existing thing (for lack of a better word)...

Yes, each club has its own scene, vibe, what have you...but it is unfair and counterproductive to try and limit others from joining the family or expanding their horizons solely because of inexperience or experience with other ideals.

I think both sides of this debate are important to hear...so for the sake of an interesting convo...lets keep it drama free... cwm1.gif

------------------

fly."

dragon_pipe_e0.gif

(What places?)

well i personally get very aggravated when im in a club trying to chill and enjoy the music and some fucked up guy tries to kick it too me by slobering over himself and grinding me.. thats the shit that pisses me and most people off... not so much the fact that people go to hook up but more the fact that people act like idiots.... idiots r what kill the vibe... end of story

------------------

"that pigeon is standing there like a f*ckin asshole!"

"i am mo jo jo jo!!"

"Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they need to run free until they find someone just as wild to run with."

AIM---> PrncssVrnc

email---> PrncssVrnc@aol

Originally posted by vampienyc10:

Question for you:

How would these clubs pay for these top DJ's if it wasn't for the attendance of these "fair weathered fans"?

Just curious..

you bring a good point here. fair weather fans make up large portion of who attends clubs. i think the problem arises when a fair-weather fan doesn't want to understand or doesn't respect the vibe of a club. if i go to a place i don't know anything about, i try to go with peeps who understand it, and i try to learn about the club. sure, be yourself, get fucked up, but look around once in a while and see whats up. you may love or hate what you see.

often fair-weather turns to regular weather once they understand what the place is all about.

------------------

party with a heart on

Would you stand in line for an hour and pay the cover w/o knowing what to expct?

Seems kinda foolish to me.

Fair weathered fans are also the first to go when a trend dies. Clubs based around the music know how to survive and often book lil known djs that don't guarantee a packed house w/o the help of 7854732895794 promoters.

If I had all the records the djs play then I possibly wouldn't need to go out, but there are a few new tracks I always don't have.

I don't have room in my apt for bassbin tho.

Would you stand in line for an hour and pay the cover w/o knowing what to expct?

Seems kinda foolish to me.

Fair weathered fans are also the first to go when a trend dies. Clubs based around the music know how to survive and often book lil known djs that don't guarantee a packed house w/o the help of 7854732895794 promoters.

If I had all the records the djs play then I possibly wouldn't need to go out, but there are a few new tracks I always don't have.

I don't have room in my apt for bassbin tho.

Anyone else?

------------------

fly."

dragon_pipe_e0.gif

(What places?)

Im relatively nu to nyc, but i will say that it appears in toronto more people were out for the music. when that is the case it inevitably turns into people with common interests in music meeting each other, which is of course why we go out. im only now starting to find the same thing here in nyc. it seemed initially that most people here went out only to be out and didnt give a shit about the music. am i wrong? i would love to know where to go for consistant music lovin'.

------------------

Computer games dont affect kids. I mean if computer games affected us as kids we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills, and listening to repetitive music.

elitism

its and elitist attitude that says "dont' come here its all about the music". I go to twilo all the time yet never tell anyone that. I try and bring my friends there all the time. I also stick to objective criticsm of other clubs. Me saying that jonathon peters plays a song for an hour, or uses drum rolls throughout the nite, is not bashing, its the truth.

but at the same time, those people do have a point in my opinion. club culture stems from a point where it in fact was all about the music, b/c it was so misunderstood. It's derivative is one who's focal point is that music, not the scene or to hookup. so while i do in fact understand certain people saying that b/c for them it is true, its wrong to put down others for not going out for that reason. some may say that as clubs grow and change, it gets away from their true origin and essence. but clubs changes just as the times do. nothing stays the same, social adaptation coincides just the same w/ club culture. its' like when your parents tell you that the times are different.. its true

then theres the business aspect of this argument which brings in the issue of superficiality.. but i'm at work and that could go on for days...

-Rob

------------------

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use" -Soren Kierkegaard

"People who know little are usually great talkers, while men who know much say little." -Rousseau

"One must learn to be a sponge if one wants to be loved by hearts that overflow." -Frederich Neitzsche 2-Brandie&Rob-11

hmr3.gif

**bump for gravity**

------------------

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use" -Soren Kierkegaard

"People who know little are usually great talkers, while men who know much say little." -Rousseau

"One must learn to be a sponge if one wants to be loved by hearts that overflow." -Frederich Neitzsche 2-Brandie&Rob-11

hmr3.gif