Clubplanet Nightlife Community

hiphop/r&b || electronica?

Okay, so I have always been a hiphop/r&b fan and especially loved to dance to it. Caught a bit of MTV Ultra Sound on 2 hits wonder last night, and it reminded me of how much I liked hiphop about 10 years ago ... Tone Loc, Young MC, Bell Biv Devoe, Marky Mark's Good Vibration (hanging head in shame - my first CD). Point being, even with gangster rap being predominant, there were still good beats coming out of hiphop and it was fun to go to clubs/parties and dance. Even last year, I was bumping away to Jay-Z and Sisqo's thong song.

This past Saturday night though, it was all I could do to stay in the hiphop room at Limelight for an hour. Hiphop/r&b have always been very raw and sexual (actually, one thing that I really liked about it), but I have never felt more objectified than I did on Saturday night. Chorus such as "Rub on your titties of you like hiphop" is why I haven't listened to hiphop in a really long time. Maybe it's because I have no desire to hook-up at clubs or outgrown grinding with total strangers, but seriously the vibe was disgusting. I learned at Exit that a water bottle tucked between the small of your back and your pants is great for keeping the pokers away, but what the hell, do people don't think we mean it when we pull away. Why the need to start talking trash? Yuck, Yuck, Yuck.

I guess my question is, is there any fear that the electronic scene is going to develop like hiphop/r&b has? We talk so much about the scene changing and the music going mainstream, and I think it's safe to say, there's no stopping that from happening, I mean, just look at how different Saturday night was from the first Gatecrasher party. It was great to see so many people come out for the music and to dance, but the night was definitely missing the friendliness that I'm used to from the first 2 Gatecrasher parties. I'd especially like to hear from folks who've been listening to electronic music for a longer time, how has the scene/vibe changed as the music has gotten deeper and darker?

iv'e been listing to electronica since about '95. I don't think the scene is gonna go the way hip hop has, with all the grindin, due to the nature of the music. Most of the times when you're dancing and really feeling the music you're not dancing all up on somebody.

(at least i aint). but you are right i don't think its nearly as friendly as it used to be. I think maybe the scene has changed b/c now its "fashionable" and may attract different folks that don't feel the music.

maybe thats snobbish. I'm all for all people having a great time!!!! cwm4.gif Thats why you should be there! thats why should spend your $20-$30 to have FUN. Not to model,not to hook up.

How much fun can you have dancing if your major concern is who your going home with.

my priority is to dance cwm29.gif

------------------

I want the real thing

NOT tokens.

Guest dabiatchka

I actually love dancing to hip hop... they're so many great beats...especially old reggea.. like Limb by Limb..Action..Murder She Wrote..I love those songs..

But you are definately right about the club scene. Almost anywhere you go that lays hip hop the guys there are nasty. Abyss.. Speed and the hip hop rooms at oters. You can't even stand near the dance floor without being gropped.

Hey thanks for responding. I'm glad to hear that you guys don't think the scene will develop like hiphop has, it's just sad really b/c I still love dancing to hiphop, just not at a club. I've come to realize that the lack of aggression is one thing I really like about the techno scene. It's so nice to be able to chat with people and just let nature takes its course. Thanks again! smile.gif

------------------

"Life is made of moments ...

it would be wonderful if they came to us unsummoned, but particularly in lives as busy as theones most of us lead now, that won't happen. We have to teach ourselves how to live, really live ... to love the journey, not the destination.

Old school hip-hop will never die. I still have ToneLoc's signature from years ago. I wanted to go see Run DMC here not to long ago, but didn't make it. I know what you mean about hip-hop though. I still enjoy some of the beats, but there is way to much agression and anger in todays rap. Being sexual and seductive is one thing, but most rap today is just archaic. It takes talent and intelligence to make true hip-hop... just as it takes a master to make good electronica.

I think then scene will change a bit. We'll start seeing harder hitting music. With more congested sounds, but I don't think much of the main stream house music will change. You can already see the rap fans imergence in the scene with "booty-house"; rap lyrics to hard hitting house music.

So I think your safe when it comes to house music progressing into a mating dance, but your not safe from those people migrating into the scene. The more I look at the scene the more I see people in it for the wrong reasons. It should be about fun and love for the music not hot chicks in skimpy clothing dopped up on the latest mind fuck. Not that I mind the hot chicks in skimpy clothing. wink.gif

off my soap box now.. back to work. biggrin.gif

//sariman

------------------

clubplanet_sig.gif