Clubplanet Nightlife Community

i have been thinking about gettin a real web site.. what do you all think?

now that they have www.__.tv i have been thinking about regestering a web site.. what does everyone think? good idea?

i have always wanted a place to like put up mp3's instead of having to upload them for everyone on aim, or email...

------------------

lips.gif~LiPz~ lips.gif

aim:LikmyLipz

e-mail:LikmyLipz@aol.com

lik.gif
/>http://hometown.aol.com/lipzlipzlipz/LIPZ.html

basically i would be gettin it to play with, try out new things.. stuff like that..

just for fun.. hmm ok heres the choice.. lipz.org or lipz.tv what shall it be?

------------------

lips.gif~LiPz~ lips.gif

lik.gif

Even if you buy the .tv domain name you still need a service provider to host your site.......that is where the real money comes into play as big memory usually costs big money(unless your a corporation).......you can find some decent prices but mp3s are heavy and can take up a lot of space.......good idea though......good luck.

Mikey

------------------

"Some I consider my girlfriends, and some I just consider" - John Bender

If youve got a reasonable fast connection, DSL, or optonline, you can download web server software and set up your own HTTP server. Otherwise, someone will have to do it for you, because you see, all the content that is viewed on any page, even this one, is stored on someone elses computer...all this text youre reading is stored somewhere, and it has to be 'served' to users upon request, if you get any kinda traffic, you need to be able to handle it with a reasonable fast connection, hope this helped some.

VJ

------------------

------

AIM:Turbo SC300

------

Originally posted by vj604:

If youve got a reasonable fast connection, DSL, or optonline, you can download web server software and set up your own HTTP server. Otherwise, someone will have to do it for you, because you see, all the content that is viewed on any page, even this one, is stored on someone elses computer...all this text youre reading is stored somewhere, and it has to be 'served' to users upon request, if you get any kinda traffic, you need to be able to handle it with a reasonable fast connection, hope this helped some.

VJ

yes im on cable.. so how do i go about doing this?

------------------

lips.gif~LiPz~ lips.gif

lik.gif

Originally posted by LikmyLipz:

see the "dsl vs. cable" thread. Apperently you cant have a server through cable because its a dynamic connection, you need a static connection. dont ask me what that means, ask the guy who wrote that in the other thread.

------------------

vip.gif

herbert_kornfeld_t.gif

Accountz Reeceevin' Ain't For No Candy-Ass Temps

Originally posted by LikmyLipz:

You need a web server installed on your computer if you want to host your own site.......I think Apache or Sun might have free webservers or you can even use the Personal Web Server that comes with windows, although I find it more confusing than the others.......once that is installed, need to make sure your cable provider allows you to use static ip addresses.......most do but you have to request it from them and they usually don't like it.......but you might be entitled to it.........if you can, you must configure your system to use the static ip address.....then you are ready to go.......you register that ip address with .tv and that name should represent your ip on your system.......if you need more info, pm me...... cwm12.gif

Mikey

------------------

"Some I consider my girlfriends, and some I just consider" - John Bender

you need to get webserver software for your computer. if you're on windows, you can get apache (www.apache.org). you'll need to do a little reading to figure out how to use it.

Or you could get a second computer, put together a small ethernet network, and set up a dedicated webserver running FreeBSD, Apache, PHP, and whatever else you want smile.gif

------------------

rp2.gif

sorry, a case of posting while high.

if you're using windows 98 or up, there's something that come with it called 'personal web server', that should be pretty easy to use to set up your webserver. you'll also need your ip address, and you'll need a nameserver to resolve your domain name. (sorry, still high. i can't think in simple terms now)