Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NY driver license suspension

i have court date in april for speeding 27 miles over the limit in Feb(thats 6 points!) and if i found guilty my license could get suspended technically because i received 11 points in 18 months at the time of violation. however this was my first ticket since may2000 and right now i only have 2 points because points over 18 months no longer count. i talked to DMV clerks and they say the judge might not suspend my license but there's still possibility. i m worried. should i change to NJ license before the court date so even if they suspend my NY license i will have NJ license?

yo dont do anything crazy. the same happened to me. they only suspended me 3 months and they let you drive back and forth to work and stuff legally, but i just drove around like i always did but kept it under the limit so as not to get pulled over. someone else i know had the same amount of points as me but didnt get a suspension but had to pay twice the fine. it depends on the judge. the really shitty part of the whole thing is the insurance premium they hit you with. i pay $279 a month. I think that sux. good luck.

------------------

wwwa.gif "Relax and take notes, while I take tokes of the Marijuana smokes."

Hey, while we're all on the topic - when I first moved to New York from Florida, I got a bunch of parking tickets. Since I was totally broke and selling the car and not planning to drive for a while, I just didn't pay them. I'm still not planning to get a car, but do want to get a New York State driver's license, and wonder - are they going to bust my ass at the DMV office? Does anyone know whether such a thing would show up?

------------------

it's funny until somebody gets hurt. and then it's even funnier.

Yo Robocock.... don't bother changing your license over... here's how it works!

If your license is suspended in NY.... no matter what state your license is from... you are still suspended in NY. So if you go to court, and get suspended in NY, then you have a NJ license.... if you are pulled over in NY... the cops run your name IN NY... and it will show up Suspended in NY... then you will get arrested. So it doesnt really matter!

Mike G

Originally posted by robocock:

i have court date in april for speeding 27 miles over the limit in Feb(thats 6 points!) and if i found guilty my license could get suspended technically because i received 11 points in 18 months at the time of violation. however this was my first ticket since may2000 and right now i only have 2 points because points over 18 months no longer count. i talked to DMV clerks and they say the judge might not suspend my license but there's still possibility. i m worried. should i change to NJ license before the court date so even if they suspend my NY license i will have NJ license?

Hey, some advice for ya babe.. don't worry everything will be ok.. My bf had troubles (alot more serious trust me) but was able to resolve them..

First of all what county court are you expected to go to ?

AND..

Do you have an atty..?

------------------

AIM vampienyc10

e-mail: vampie@aol.com

one of my best friends just had his license taken in MA but he's planning on moving to seattle, for job reasons, this summer so he can't drive in MA but he'll be fine in washington state. these kinds of thing can get resolved if you want otherwise you might just have to wait it out.

cwm11.gif

well the thing is when i am found guilty i would have only 8 points total which is 3 less than the 11 point for suspension but at the time of violation in FEB, i had 11 points for 18 months period. the clerk said my license may not be suspended but you never know. i was thinking changing my license to NJ before the court date and even if the judge found me guilty it wouldn't matter because i would have a NJ license.

oh yeah. the court hearing is in Staten Island on apr 2nd. i will ask to postpone it, maybe i should get an attorney

well thanks for your input.. ifeel better.

Originally posted by robocock:

well the thing is when i am found guilty i would have only 8 points total which is 3 less than the 11 point for suspension but at the time of violation in FEB, i had 11 points for 18 months period. the clerk said my license may not be suspended but you never know. i was thinking changing my license to NJ before the court date and even if the judge found me guilty it wouldn't matter because i would have a NJ license.

oh yeah. the court hearing is in Staten Island on apr 2nd. i will ask to postpone it, maybe i should get an attorney

well thanks for your input.. ifeel better.

DO NOT POSTONE IT....do a search of attorney offices within the courthouse's vicinity....call up the one closest..(there should be alot)....they will give you a free consulation.... MOST, if not ALL of those attys. are cool with the judge.. you will walk in and out of there in no time.. It might cost you a bit but if getting your license suspended and having your record wiped clean is what you want, I suggest you do this.... My bf did and now it's clean...

Let me know how it goes and if you need any further assistance..

------------------

AIM vampienyc10

e-mail: vampie@aol.com