Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Twilo Friday review

Guest danwang

Guest danwang

Wow, is this really the first one? Well, probably not by the time I finish writing everything I want to write. smile.gif

The latest edition of Twilo Fridays ended around 7:20 am. The crowds were a little thin near the end, but it was quite a good night.

Who was the opening DJ? He did a very good job of starting things off, mixing different types of house - funky, trancey, deep, a little tribal.

Then Miss Djax came on at 1:30 and blew the place away. Her style reminds me a little of Frankie Bones, at least what I remember of the last time I heard him, about 3.5 years ago. Interesting that she did a rather short set, as she ended at 3 am, which is when the live act by Anthony Rother started. Judging by crowd response, that was a fantastic half-hour show. The stage for the live PA was right in front of the DJ booth - It was funny when he hit his head on one of the lights, but luckily it didn't affect his performance.

Then Sven Vath started at 3:30 am. He started off quite well, but I think what he played for the first two hours got a little repetitive (and without much of a melody like those of the floorfillers that PvD or Tiesto or Dave Ralph typically play), as the crowd started thinning quickly at 5 am. However, his mixing was very good, as was his ability to work the crowd with fades and buildups.

At 5:30 am, he started playing some really nice trance, and continued doing that for the most part for the rest of the night. I think he should have done that earlier, as that would have kept on the floor (unless they were all as tired as I was).

Even at 6 am, the place seemed quite empty, so I thought they would ending some time soon after. Well, he kept it going for almost another hour and a half, perhaps for the diehards that stayed on the floor.

He ended the night with some pretty cool chillout tunes that had a bit of a beat. There was a twist though...

Starting around 7:10 am, he would make everyone think he's all done. The music would stop, the lights would come on, and people would applaud... and then he would start playing another record. I think happened twice more before he was indeed finally done.

Oh yeah, all throughout his set, SV was dancing in the booth like a mofo.

It was also interesting how the Power Bar was shut down by 5:30 am. I guess they thought the place would be closed soon afterwards?

Guest danwang

One thing I forgot to mention... I'm not good at estimating crowd sizes, but I'll try... at the end of the whole thing, there was about 30 people left on the floor. Was anyone there at the end who could verify this or provide a more accurate number? In any case, it's quite a difference from size of the closing crowd when PvD was last here, I'll say.

Nice review there Dan... I popped in there for a bit with my partner. The opening dj was Phil Morrison. He runs the Twilo Rec. Label.

It was an early night for me. Probably the earliest Ive ever been to bed on friday night which was 3am.

That's not the case tonight. Danny 'The man" Howells graces the phazon and it's the dj, the music, & me for 6 hours.

Guest danwang

Something else I thought was interesting... during MIss Djax's set, I saw breakdancing at Twilo for the first time! This was happening in front of, and little to the left of, the DJ booth. I always love seeing someone do it well (and I overheard about some kid at SF who brings a helmet for that purpose and uses it well... gotta check that out some time), but I hope it didn't interfere with anyone's space, a complaint I've heard in other places.

Is this something that usually goes on, but just hasn't been happening when I've been there (in five previous times since late December)?

Originally posted by Nolimit:

That's not the case tonight. Danny 'The man" Howells graces the phazon and it's the dj, the music, & me for 6 hours.

Amen to that!! See you there kid......

Mikey

------------------

"Some I consider my girlfriends, and some I just consider" - John Bender