Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Centro Fly Is Going Downhill

I hate to say it, but Centro Fly is going downhill. I was there on Thursday night for the billboard party and was very unhappy with what I was seeing. I've been going there regularly since it opened and its progressively gotten worse. And why is it that every DJ that spins on the main floor there now feels they have to play a dark style of house. I just can't get into it. Roger was a perfect example. I've seen him there a bunch of times and he usually plays that fun, high energy, vocal house that is just so much fun to dance to. I heard a sprinkle of that stuff but the rest of it was deep and dark. Is that just the NY influence on DJ's? Do they think all of us New Yorkers only like it dark and hard? I hate to say it, but Centro is turning into Twilo. I'm not bashing Twilo, I loved that place for what it was, which was not Centro Fly. Centro to me was the sexy, cool safe club. It did not have the sketchy element which I am now seeing there. And don't tell me Twilo wasn't sketchy, because it definately was. At Centro, people did there thing, but always discretely. This has certainly changed, as I noticed many who were doing whatever wide out in the open. A perfect exampleof Centro's transition is the bathroom. On Thursday, I was in a stall for a legitimate reason and a boucer was coming in and peaking over every 5 minutes. A few months ago, that never would have happened. Pretty soon, they'll probably start searching you to go in. And thats exactly what one should not have to endure at $20 cover and $10 a drink. Seriously, save that shit for Exit and SF. Lets keep Centro safe and clean like it should be, before we loose this place too.

It seems every club has gotten this way with the security. I think it is partly the fault of people doing shit out in the open and partly the fault of the influence of police in clubs today. Even small clubs have tons of undercover cops in them. It is too bad that clubs are suffering from the actions of the patrons. As for the music, yes I think DJs spin a certain way when they come to NY. I'm not sure what vocal house DJs spin, but many techno DJs spin way more house and trance than they do when they are in Europe. I guess they try to play what they think NY likes...

DJs generally tend to play what they think the crowd enjoys, i see it so many times now that I'm living in san fran, even NYC DJs that come here played a much groovier type house than the darker, deeper stuff they usually play out in NYC. Guess its all about playing to the crowd.

no offense man.

if it's getting like Twilo, I dont understand how it's going down

hill. Twilo was world renound for it's music. It is a growin Genre here in the US. especially in NYC. I respect your opinon none the less. But from a business standpoint, clubs are out there to make

money so they will play whatever brings the people.

Fuck Centro!

I always have more fun downstairs in the PINKY room!

(it's too darkly lit for anyone tos see WHAT the hell your doing anyway..)

But I agree..

Too much flaunting of drug use will always tighten security!

And as for Dark progressive Trance...

Blah-blahblah.....

If you want diversity go check out a MUTINY Party on the frying pan

or a GOA party..

House and Trance (as much as I hate to say it) are becoming a reflection of what the scene has become..

Generic and predictable!

"Glam club" DJs lately spin the same sound because they know alot of the Guidos that go out don't even really fucking care what they are listening to anyway...

Sorry if I sound bitter I'm just feeling the same lately..

I'm like;

"what The Fuck happened!?"

This shit use to be original and light hearted fun...:(

Originally posted by mugwump

House and Trance (as much as I hate to say it) are becoming a reflection of what the scene has become..

Generic and predictable!

"Glam club" DJs lately spin the same sound because they know alot of the Guidos that go out don't even really fucking care what they are listening to anyway...

Sorry if I sound bitter I'm just feeling the same lately..

I'm like;

"what The Fuck happened!?"

This shit use to be original and light hearted fun...:(

this is exactly how i felt before my 2 weeks of vacation in europe..

but the crazy europeans have rejuvenated me...nyc is way lacking in the feel good party scene..its all pretentious bullshit here in nyc.

i fear going out again here in nyc....i know it will just let me down.

If you guys feel so strongly about the "fall" of Centro-fly, then why don't you drop them an email to let them know whats up. You can't get a more honest critique than from those partons that frequent an establishment. Word of mouth spreads quickly especially on the message board. I'm sure thy would love to hear what everyone has to say about their club. It'd be in their best interest to "listen to what the people have to say." Especially with the decline of nightlife in NYC, we can't afford to have another big name fall from the list. It's partly our responsibility too to make sure NY nightlife lives up to its reputation (which it hasn't been). But that could change if people make it happen...

Originally posted by ldoan

If you guys feel so strongly about the "fall" of Centro-fly, then why don't you drop them an email to let them know whats up. You can't get a more honest critique than from those partons that frequent an establishment.

Hey, what a great idea! come on guys, its not that i don't agree with you, but lets figure out how to have an influence on what we do want instead of just griping.

i happen to love centro (well, used to go to the DO IT party every friday, now only when there's someone i want to hear). its still one of the friendliest places around, especially the staff in my opinion, and MUGZ is on spot with the pinky room. and its also up to us to shake our asses with high energy and grooviness on the floor and platform there!

hey, i don't necessarily like "guido" places (though i've had great f*ucking times at SF) and (in my opinion) the lack of musical taste often on display there, but i'm happy that everyone's out at exit and elsewhere having and great time. its just as important for the NYC scene to have diversity as anything else, which is why...

what we need to do is figure out how to keep places that we like having that different vibe and quirkiness that it seems like we all love. and part of that involves how they make money. personally, i wish DO IT has stayed and GBH never took over fridays....

gonna write them right now.

Everyone has opinions

But I go every Thursday and its still a banging party

I heard a lot of classic house being played, not sure if you were listening...

I was there from 12 - close.

The party was amazing and a ton of industry were hanging out in VIP and Roger did drop a nice set.

There wasn't that much Dark house...

I HAVE had great times at Centro before..

I don't hate it everytime I go..

and don't get me wrong..

i think clubland IS for everyone (guido,hooch,Trainspoter or raver)

I just think that CERTAIN DJs that spin for a "mainstream" audience tend to water down their originality and start to spin THE SAME OLD SHIT.....

But what Chrystalmethod posted is absolutely true!

EVERYONE has different tastes!

No need dissing a specific club..

(I was joking when I typed "fuck centro" go to "The Pinky"

DUH..It's the same club!)

I AM however against drug use flaunting and I think THAT is the problem and the reason clubs get so tight with security!

Musical trends change anyway..

Dark today....Techy breaks tomorrow...

WHO KNOWS!

Mugz knows what he likes...

Clubs that take risks with different genres..

And that's where you can find me doing the mugwump stomp!

Mugz likes DIVERSITY!

Too much of the same old same old makes me bored!:idea:

SPecs,

hes not talking about the use of drugs in clubs,

Of course that was always a part of club scene, whether liquor, e, coke, etc... Hes not dissin on that.

He actually means that the open, flaunting use of substances is bringing in tighter security and more undercovers. He means people should be more discreet when using their party favors.

Rad_

i dunno ive been goin to centro for along time.......i came into the city instead of hamptons or jersey shore....so i went to centro last sat night and felt like i was at a UN meeting........ they played alot of bullshit dark, garage house..... everybody seemed to be standing around...... very slow boring crowd........whats happening to NYC club scene...... what happend to LIFE.... bring back paladium..... ;)

:mad::eek:

~CrAcKz~

-=o)

like steve said..everyone has an opinion...in mine, centro is the best club in nyc right now...its the only club that brings in the big name quality HOUSE djs in nyc...you can say what you want about the club, but the club definately serves its purposes...it gives you a cross section of the clubbing community of nyc, and provides different things for different peeps...they always bring in on point djs(deep dish this thurs, louie vega's dance ritual, nigel richards sat.) that satisfy the music heads...it has a pseudo vip in crowd attitude which gives that type of crowd their fix...its not as hardcore as a twilo(was) so you can take first time clubbers there and they wont be alienated by the vibe inside...now i'll be the last one to say that the club is perfect, but to say its going downhill is not right in my opinion...its not the same club that it was when it first opened a coupla years back(just different)....but the new york club scene isnt the same now as it was when centro first opened...it is, however, one of the FEW places left in nyc to hear quality djs/music ...maybe its better off that some people think its going downhill ...that way you get the people in there who actually go to hear the music and dance rather than stand around and profile(even though i like when the hot girls do it :) )...everyone has a right to their own opinions and i have to respect them...but until the day comes when centro starts booking cheeze trance instead of quality house, tech house, & occ. prog house..i'll b there...

closing for Deep Dish this time!!! should be goooooooooooooooooood....

Centro is definately one of the best things going in NYC right now......and I've never done drugs in there........the talent they bring is very diverse and always worth checking out...

People should definately be smart and keep whatever they're doing on the DL, regardless of what club you're in.....being really obvious is stupid.....of course they're gonna have to clamp down on security..especially with all the attention now off of Twilo, the city has to look to the next set of clubs to investigate.....

This isn't a gripe with the club, though, its with certain people...Centro is providing us with a great venue, and amazing DJ's.....its up to us to keep our shit straight and not ruin it for ourselves.....

:idea:

I definately agree with the fact that Centro is one of the best clubs around now even though I started out saying its going downhill. But as for NYC nightlife, there isn't all that much left to compare it to. I've been partying in NYC for 10 years and the whole thing has gone sour for obvious reasons. I only wish many of you could have shared some of the experiences I had in my younger years. Anyway, back to Centro, the music has definately gotten darker, which includes the lights and the crowd. I just feel that it used to be more of a funky party vibe upstairs, and not so much of the super intense club vibe. As for going downhill in comparison to Twilo, i meant that in regards to the sketchy element. People are now in there for the wrong reasons, and I'm not going to get anymore specific then that but I'm sure you can figure out what I mean. That was definately the case with Twilo, and look how it ended up. Of course, tons of great peole went to Twilo and still go to Centro Fly, but its like the old saying, it only takes a couple of bad apples to ruin the bunch. All its going to take is for some asshole NYC politician to label Centro a drug spot once and things are going to change for the worse real fast. Chances are, the process has already begun. And belive me, I'm not dissing the e crowd in anyway, because I know all about that.