Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Single most important issue or generation faces?

back2basics-

What's the bigged problem in the world?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What's the bigged problem in the world?

• AIDS
    • Drugs
    • Global warming
    • Poverty
    • Nuclear disarmerment
    • GM food
    • Human cloning
    • The global economy / Capitalism
    • Human rights (freedom, rasicm, slavery, gay rights etc)
    • None of the above

I think one of the immediate threats (including aids in third world countries etc), something we must start changing now is global warning, there are loads of other causes that need action. But we have to start making the small changes on global warming now... see below for a pretty good link..

http://www.fabclimate.org/

Anyway what do you think is the biggest issue for the world at the moment?

Totally the global economy - everything else feeds back to it. (ie - the oil companies have enough political/economic influence to prevent more efficient energy sources from being developed, leading to global warming. Pharmaceutical companies can - and have - influenced our government to pressure 3rd world countries not to provide generic AIDS drugs. Etc etc etc).

I think the big issue is the economy. Every day I'm watching Corporate America step all over the working man as he/she struggles to have a better life. Look at us. We can't have a family because we have to be able and willing to run all over the globe for the CEO. We need to go to through years of college and yet still end up struggling to get a job or stay away from the pink slips.

We need to fix things because all the other factors in that poll will not go away if everyone is starving and struggling.

djamfooter.gif

Originally posted by djamnfx

I think the big issue is the economy. Every day I'm watching Corporate America step all over the working man as he/she struggles to have a better life. Look at us. We can't have a family because we have to be able and willing to run all over the globe for the CEO. We need to go to through years of college and yet still end up struggling to get a job or stay away from the pink slips.

We need to fix things because all the other factors in that poll will not go away if everyone is starving and struggling.

djamfooter.gif

Woo hoo!! Another commie!! ;) Right on. :)

Originally posted by silente

I think the most time should be devoted to restructuring the global economy. If you get rid of the problems latent in capitalism as it's currently practiced, you open doors to solving all the other problems.

Ok BUT,

They will be talking about how any new structure to world economies and markets would work for decades before anything would actually be started.

Where as every nature reserve we save now and every square mile of forest we save now will have huge benefits over the next 25-50 years.

We won't have out reserves in 20-25 years, what do you think that will do to the world economy?

Even now the world is being help to ransom by the oil generators. We should try to find realistic alternatives now, because putting the infrastructure in place will take a very long time.

Also our nuclear waste is being hidden in third world countries. We give them pennies to contaminate their land for a few hundred thousand years. So we fix global economy to give them a little more chance and then they have to spend any extra revenue cleaning up the waste.

It's bullshit man, and Bush must go;)

All true (especially that Bush must go...oy). But.

We won't be able to put nature reserves aside until oil companies lose some of their leverage (look at Alaska now - it's *already* protected, and they're trying to drill anyway). You're right that any land saved now will reap tremendous benefits 25 years down the road. But under the current power structure, expecting new reserves to stay protected is unrealistic. True, it will take a long time to put other infrastructure in place, but you're not even going to get *hints* of any of it until governments are willing to devote the time and money to it. And that means they have to get out of the grip of big business.

Furthermore, until third world countries are allowed to educate themselves and develop their own heavy industry independent of major powers, they're going to continue to accept pitiful sums for their natural resources. Frankly, what other choice do they have right now? They don't have the political bargaining power to truly shape their own destiny. And until they do, they're at the mercy of, well, us.

(damn it feels good to exercise my brain!! Props to b2b for bringing up an intelligent thread!) :)

silente - doublemajorinmusicandeconomics ;)

They are at the mercy of us (the developed world) and we should have be selling them our waste in the first place yeh they WILL take it and I don't expect them to do anything else. But everything we do is keeping them down..

From us that buy drugs and are almost forcing the farmers to grow Cocaine or Weed (because they can make more than growing coffee or corn), to selling arms to dictators and nuclear waste that will effect there ability to developed in future years. They have the church's going in there telling people who live in countries that have 20% of the population infected with HIV and growing populations that cannot be sustained that the use of condoms is evil. It's bullshit,

As far as getting a grip on big business.. yeh it's big business that lobbies politicians, but it's not the lobbyists that make the decisions it's the politicians and politicians are selling out. I don't think we are in a grip, and if we are it's because of the lobbying, and politicians bowing to money. That is more of an issue of the political system than the global economy and markets.

DJfamx, I think global changes to economy are needed, but not for the 'every day American', let's face it life in America is a breeze and although not fair I think the people that should really benafit are the third world. Unfortunately that may not be the case.

Hmm...you bring up a few interesting topics - the drug thing in particular. While it's true that users provide a reliable (indeed, virtually inexhaustable) market for drugs, I think it's a little harsh to say we *force* third world farmers into growing them. It's more accurate to say (as you did) that it's unprofitable for them to grow crops like corn. The reason for that, though has nothing to do with drugs and LOTS to do with programs like NAFTA and the concept of free trade.

Let's be clear - NAFTA has been a lose-lose program on both sides of the US/Mexico border. Central American farmers have been virtually eliminated by the extreme dominance of American agriculture - there is simply no way a third world farmer with a mule and a plow can compete with American agri-business. Similarly, there is no way that American laborers can afford to work for the obscene wages that third world workers will accept. As a result, farmers in the third world are pushed out of business and into factories, where they work for nothing to provide cheap products to unionized Americans receiving unemployment for the manufacturing jobs that no longer exist.

Third world farmers, therefore, are faced with two options: leave their land and work for subsistence wages (if that) in a crowded, unsanitary factory, or find a more profitable crop (legal or not).

Behold, the power of capitalism and the promise of free trade.

:rolleyes:

As for the politicians, you're right. As a once-aspiring diplomat it's difficult for me to admit this, but frankly they're almost all corrupt. And the only way to really get rid of that is for people to start paying attention to those that represent them. Demand accountability. And that means we need a more responsible, more substantial news media and a more involved public. Ever since Watergate the press (at least in the states) has plummeted downhill, and I dont' really understand why. It's like they did their big thing and now they're going to sit back on their laurels. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why did we cover Monica Lewinsky at the same time we implemented a plan to bomb Colombia? Why aren't we paying more attention to just how much Bush is fucking up this country's global interests? It's utterly beyond me.

<laughs> oh, come on, bb, it's all in fun. Nothing wrong with a healthy debate. Gives us a chance to exercise our brains before we completely toxify them. ;)

Your brain needs no more excersize alright there Einstette??? If brains were compared to body builders yours would be Arnold Schwarzenegger....

Originally posted by bouncyboy

Your brain needs no more excersize alright there Einstette??? If brains were compared to body builders yours would be Arnold Schwarzenegger....

<laughs> Thanks, bb. But don't give me *too* much credit - I'd heard your midget joke before. ;)

<laughs> Thanks, bb. But don't give me *too* much credit - I'd heard your midget joke before. ;)

I figured so much...

and B2B (slow brain today and all) Einstette would be a reference to a female version of Einstein?? Get it now there pokey???