Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What's up with the festivals?

cooljunkie

I think the issue is that most festivals stateside reek of commercialization and alienate the body of people who truly appreciate the music..i.e. the foundation..you can't have a festival where the audience is just there cause it's the in thing to do..

for one, the economy is crap right now. i know at least 3 people that have been laid off in the past month because the places they worked either closed or downsized. but mostly i think it's the corporate backing pulling out because of poor advanced ticket sales. they don't really understand the culture, and they expect advance ticket sales to boom like a traditional "rock" concert. what they fail to recognize is the fact that most of their sales will come from walk up tickets. they get cold feet and pull out. end of tour.

large one off events such as ultra fest work better for several reasons. first and most obvious is the fact that it takes place during WMC. second is the fact that it takes place in miami in march. loads of people will travel to come to a single event with a lineup like that, outdoors in 80 degree weather in march. if they had say 4 or 5 ultra events in the states with similar lineups in the summer. i don't think attendence figures would be anything near what they get for a one off. plus advanced sales wouldn't be as important for locals on a tour stop. i think most of ultra's advanced sales probably came from out of town peeps. my way of thinking is, "hell, if i'm gonna travel 1000 miles to an event, i damn sure wanna be sure i get in" but if i have to travel 10 mins "fuck it, i'll get 'em at the door" last reason i have for these traveling festivals not working is their lineup. each date seems to have a few "good" names, but overall the rest is just filler and locals. i'm not gonna pay $50-75 to see a couple of good dj's and a bunch of locals i can see for $10 the following week. 3/4 of ultra's lineup was filled w/ headline dj's. creamfields usa had like 2 or 3. nothing that made me wanna drive up the coast for thats for sure. mekka had a few decent people i wanted to see, but nobody i couldn't see any other time. unfortunately the main people i would have gone to see are no longer part of that lineup at space.

It's always been my logic with Ultra..."fuck it, get 'em at the door".

It's a valid point even for the 'club space block party'. A lot of folk from out of town were royally pissed due to the lineup change. Our locals kick major ass, but the out of towners don't know it...so they got their money back...

What about the scale though? Yeah we can see our locals anytime, but the production values of festivals can also justify the price.

There's a completely different atmosphere when you're in a field with 10,000 other people compared to a club. It's hard to forget seeing the sun set behind the main stage at Ultra while everyone was losing it...

cooljunkie_logo_box.gif