Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NYC vs Philly Clubs

Codica3

Yo, for the first time ever, I was dragged to a Philly club, we went to Shampoo (supposedly one of the best ones down there), and I have to admit, they aren't as bad as I thought they were gonna be but still! They friggin' close at like 2am, and the crowd is 17+ Seriously that's like trouble right there. But with all honestly, I can't even begin to compare NYC to it! There is like such a huge gap difference between the two that they shouldn't even both be considered clubs. Haha, throw some of those Philly peeps into Exit or Factory and they'd have a heart attack. As far as music goes, I didn't really hear anything that sounded too familiar to me. What's really weird is that one of the DJs, the one in the foam room fucking dropped shit like Tetris and One More time and shit, I was like: YO it's summer 2001, am I in a friggin' time machine back to last summer?! All I can say is LIMELIGHT THIS FRIDAY. Someone should do the club world a favor and blow up the shitty places.

:chainsaw:

dont go to shampoo on teen night sundays then..

philly isnt known for its huge hard house clubs....its known for lounges that play deep, soulful house, jungle, and all kinds of other stuff

personally, i like to go to different places to feel different vibes...NYC is great, factory exit webster whatever, but i also like to go places where it isnt about drugs and meatheads...where there is a dress code, where the music has originality and style, and where the bartenders actually know your name....

BG

Originally posted by avalondon3

why dont u go to Cheers?

bro u got to it first, fuck i swear i was gonna do it. well i guess its like that at exit the guy who sells me ketamina knows my name, but were like cheers, everyone is happy, we dance, sing songs, bang, ya kno the mailman dude was bangin the short lady, wat was his name cliff. hahahaha ahhh good...

Where everybody knows your name, da da da, and there always glad you came, da da da, you wanna go were people see there troubles are all the same, you wanna go where everybodies knows your name, hahaha is that even right, i swear im tearining....:laugh:

ib im not trying to knock you i totally understand where u come from, exit annoys the shit outta me, i think all clubs should have a dress code, look fuckin nice for jesus christ not like u rolled out of bed thrown on huge pants with a dirty tshirt. the bar thing is true though, its good to be noticed at a place for a bartender or someone who knows your a regular or something to that extent, so again no harm in my comments, i was just messin around. :D

Originally posted by exitheadzzz

well i guess its like that at exit the guy who sells me ketamina knows my name, but were like cheers, everyone is happy, we dance, sing songs, bang, ya kno the mailman dude was bangin the short lady, wat was his name cliff. hahahaha ahhh good...

ib im not trying to knock you i totally understand where u come from, exit annoys the shit outta me, i think all clubs should have a dress code, look fuckin nice for jesus christ not like u rolled out of bed thrown on huge pants with a dirty tshirt. the bar thing is true though, its good to be noticed at a place for a bartender or someone who knows your a regular or something to that extent, so again no harm in my comments, i was just messin around. :D

but you still missed my point....go somewhere where the music moves your body through your soul....where the groove is more important than the drugs....youre not going to see that at the big clubs...you see kids tripped out dancing around like a bunch of rabbits pumping their fists to the most primitive baselines...

i hate that scene...i dont want to hang out at cheers, but i do want to go somewhere where i;m not surrounded by crackheads, e-heads, k-heads, or whatever the new "alphabet" drug is...

BG

Originally posted by ibclubbin

but you still missed my point....go somewhere where the music moves your body through your soul....where the groove is more important than the drugs....youre not going to see that at the big clubs...you see kids tripped out dancing around like a bunch of rabbits pumping their fists to the most primitive baselines...

i hate that scene...i dont want to hang out at cheers, but i do want to go somewhere where i;m not surrounded by crackheads, e-heads, k-heads, or whatever the new "alphabet" drug is...

BG

Yo man, nothing wrong with ppl jumping and dancing around like crazy cuz the music pumps them up, cuz I'm one of them. I could really care less about the dress code and how people look because its all about the beats and dancing for me. I do agree with you on the drugs though, watching those alphabet drug-heads just sitting there is really stupid.

and to exitheadzzz- nothing wrong with big pants either.:)

Yeah you guys, I'm at RU too, I'm off-campus in a beautiful house.. I understand what you mean about a dress code because there are certain limits, but I remember going to fucking Exit in the winter time with some guys and the people wouldn't let them in because they were wearing black Tims on their feet, and they refused to let them in because they were boots. WTF yo, those Tims are like hot as hell, and they were not cheap so it's not like they were garbage, but they stilll wouldn't let them in. That pissed me off. People shouldn't be coming in dirty ass clothes though that look like they just got outta working in a friggin' coal mine.

And about people jumping around like crazy - a lot of them aren't all alphabetted up - the main alphabetted up people are the ones that sit along the walls and stare into space like fucking zombies. I can't stand those people. Why waste so much money to come and sit on the floor at the club when you can sit at home in front of your stereo speakers all G-ed up, K-ed up, WHATEVER.

Really depends what night you go out....Since I don't live in the mecca of nightlife (unfortunately) and don't always want to make the drive to NYC, I'm stuck with whats here! Oh well, we make the best of it. Shampoo has its good and bad nights, I've been to some great parties there (last year - color parties and they were open all night). Evolutions and Tribecca are late night hang outs that bring in some known Dj's - Dave Ralph etc. Fluids is a little place, but brings in some awesome dj's as well..Josh Wink, Kusak etc.

There are indeed alot of lounges, however my favorite is MARMONT - 222 Market Street! and yes everybody does know your name in this place. It's really quaint and hip with dj's always spinning. The owner (Chris) is also the head bartender and can keep everyone entertained with his awesome tricks and flames. I believe he's even made guest appearances at the Vodoo Loundge in Vegas? ANyway if you go introduce your self and tell him Brad sent you.I've been to Liquids several times on east 10th and it reminds me of a smaller (philly style) version of that.

philly clubs are good.....i think the music selection is good..if not better than in NYC....Shampoo is my spot, Evolution is good too.....we got some great DJ's too.....Robbie Tronco, Rob Lee, Adam Bennett, Josh Wink, Dozia, John E and Chris Costanzo...big ups to my philly headz........and this is just an opinion...so please dont :blown: me

Guest saleen351

Best things about philly clubs....Easy chicks...

There ain't too many hot girls down there but the girls are sooooooo nice and aren't bitches..

Besides that Shampoo is ok..The djs are soooooooooooooooooooooooo behind..I caught the dj a few years ago playing the temps 98 cd in full. He didn't even mix it...I went up and said something to him, he told me to leave the booth..Downstairs is really cool to chill. the music is very different downstairs from what we hear in nyc and nj... Def worth checking out if you are open minded..Late nite I use to hit Decca...Pretty cool....They need to get rid of the 2 am closings...WTF...Could we imagine Philly rocking till like 6am, Nj shore going to 5am next year..NYC and AC going all nite....What would I dooo with myself?????????

Tru about the 2 am shit...i live 2 miles from AC so i dont even bother with Philly, because AC is slammin during the summer....

i was in philly the other night though, and i actually was at the marmont...place wasnt perfect for a much needed change of pace

I think tonight will be Studio Six/Tru....maybe Casbah and Xanadu if i feel up to it.....anyone near philly should consider comin to AC for Sat nights...plenty of hot women, good music, no crackheads!

BG

Well you obviously haven't been to studio lately. Actually me and my g-friend love the new TRu and studio, and I have tons of friends who hit it every week, however there are a ton of crackheads there, especially late night. Have you ever been on the deck????well that answers the question. Oh well you will have that anywhere you go late night. As for AC, definitly ripps it up in the summer. Studio/ tru stay open until noon and gets most packed around 3:is (wheneveryone from philly leaves the 2:00 clubs.) Casbah / Xanadu - there last sat. night stay open until 6ish. However, get there early (10-11) or you will wait in a long line. RIght now they are the commercial hot spot and everyone goes to check it out. Actually I think as far a clubs go Cas. / Xan. have the coolest interiors around for a club venue. The music isn't nearly as good as Studio. ANd one last thing to consider, last week -tons of bachelor parties and fights at Xan / Cas. actually stopped the music for like 10 minutes and wouldnt let eople back in the club for while(even if you went to pee!) . All in all for us here in philly AC is awesome in the summer.I'm going to Shampoo tonight they have some Fantasy Island party going on and they stay open until 6. However, most people will leave around 2 and head to studio! peace.

If you see the Newport Crew doing a promo at Studio, tell Ron the Guido he's a dork!lol

a few words for anyone going into philly to club....

dont expect to stay out longer than 2am there...so ull get there and have to leave pratically...

usually they dont charge u that much...but when they have someone performing...it gets up there..

water is cheap...

music is much better in NYC...

the places that ive been to arent that big...

if ur gonna go clubbing, just go to new york where the party continues...

and yeah i think thats about it....:tongue:

Yes, I'd rather be in the APPLE, but at least I'm glad we do have some places to go. If you don't go to the same places over and over its fun...variety in philly is the spice to life. Like in NY you can go to SF / Exit / LL/ etc or whatever club you like and will have a continued good time. We do the best we can here, if clubs could stay open past 2, things would change!

Life just opened a few months back, it tried to be real undergroudn and bring in some awesome djs. But in any small town like this, a good thing doesn't last. They screwed over the pr guys and some local djs etc. then brought in a new GM and now its going down the commercial route. It will be interesting to see how they do in the fall, when people are actually in this city and not at the shore?????

Originally posted by bjsil

ANd one last thing to consider, last week -tons of bachelor parties and fights at Xan / Cas. actually stopped the music for like 10 minutes and wouldnt let eople back in the club for while(even if you went to pee!) .

yeah i was there...shocked as all hell too....it was kind of scary too...ive never seen a fight that big before, where the heads of security were running in throwing bodies around!

i actually drove down there by myself drunk as hell last night to see this girl i talk to...xanadu was closed (it was 4:30) but casbah was still going strong....and they still made me pay the $20 cover!!!! if i wasnt drunk i would have bounced, but.....

no money for Tru after that :(

BG

Well I went to Shampoo ( which I usually like) last night, and it suked. I had fun dancin with my girlfriend, however it bit! Tronco (who I love) and whoever else was spinnin seemed off and was playin shit like tamia, sandstorm and I believe derb. I mean he can do so much better. Shampoo was dead outside. It has so much potential but cant seem to tap into it anymore. maybe they need a face lift? They stopped serving drinks at 2, however stayed open until 6. We actuall left at 3 and went home to have a little private dance party at my apt....my favorite part of the night, i pumped better tunes than the dj's! We then headed back about an hour later and the club was empty, exccept for the guys with no shirts on huggin each other. We danced a little more and left. Shit at that time the ny clubs are just getting going. I know a lot of people headed down to AC - Studioooooooooooo! Anyway thats my nightly recap of the party in Philly.......same ole same ole!

Heh, all I have to say about Philly is that the best thing it's got going for it is:

ROBBIE TRONO

As much clubbin' I have done, and as much as I love Tronco, it SOOO surprises me that I haven't actually heard him do a live set yet.

I'm gonna have to do something about that to change that...