Clubplanet Nightlife Community

good book suggestions

jprutig

Originally posted by back2basics-

Fuck VB it's SHITE, go directly to C sharp (C # as used in dotnet)or Delphi and do not pass go.

the only reason i went for vb was b/c a friend of mine got offered a job w/ oppenheimer, and couldtn' take it b/c they asked him if he knew vb and didnt'..

so i shouldn't continue w/ it?

Originally posted by back2basics-

Saturday 1st of September @ Fado's we will start the drinking at 10:00am have a full Irish breakfast... then shortly after 2:30pm you will be crying over your drink.

what time does the game actually start? I'm taking a saturday morning class (@10 a.m.) but with labor day there may not be class.

Originally posted by PFloyd40

the only reason i went for vb was b/c a friend of mine got offered a job w/ oppenheimer, and couldtn' take it b/c they asked him if he knew vb and didnt'..

so i shouldn't continue w/ it?

Well it's crap as a language and jobs don't pay that well and it's not TRUE Object oriented. But it is widely used and easy to learn, but C sharp is the future, i am just learning that myself.

Originally posted by peeps

anyone have any suggestions for something to read?

I'm into hard-boiled/mystery/suspence mainly

so I like anything by Richard Thompson (the Grifters, the Getaway), Dashiell Hammett (the Maltese Falcon), etc.

modern authors I like are

Geroge Pelecanos (Firing Offence, Nick's Trip, Down by the River Where Dead Men Go, The Sweet Forever, King Suckerman, Shoedog, Shame the dEvil, the big blowdown) These books are mostly set in DC in the 80's (king suckerman is set in 1976 and shame the devil is set in 1997, and the big blowdown which is something of a prequel is set in 1950.) A firing offence is set in DC in 1988 (when I was 18) and I recognize all the places in the book where I used to hang out and I knew people like the characters back then.

Michael Connelly (The Black Echo, the black ice, trunk music, the last coyote, the poet, blood work) These are detective stories set in vegas and la mainly. They also have twist endings which are generally really good.

Jeffrey Deaver--he wrote the bone collector, which you may have seen or read. The sequels the Coffin Dancer & the Devil's Teardrop are much better books with great twist endings. The Empty Chair is also pretty good.

I also occasionally read "serious" fiction like

Infinite Jest--David Foster Wallace

Angle of Repose-Wallace Stegner (about an unhappy marriage...the question the book asks is it better to settle for something good but imperfect or reach for something better which you may never find)

I also read business type stuff like

Out of control-Kevin Kelly

Probably the best book I've read on where technology is going.

Co-opetetion- (Brandenburger et al) This is a pretty accessible book on game theory and how it applies to business decisions

History

Devil Take the Hindmost-Chancellor About the history of financial speculation (its pretty much an update of Maculay's (sp) Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds